Looking for a great, open-minded Pediatrician North of Boston - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi-

We have been with the same pediatricians office since my son's birth (now 2 years old).  We have been on a delayed vac schedule, which they have been open to, but I have been doing more and more research and i really do not want to give anymore and probably would do it differently if there is a next time.  At our 2 y.o visit I was really put off by our peds response regarding more vaccinations and I have concerns that this is going to be a fight every time we go in especially as school gets closer. So....

We are looking to find a new pediatrician who is open to no-vax, will do lab/titer tests for immunity, gives options for alternative interventions for illnesses and is fairly close by. We need to use insurance, so I believe an ND is out (unless someone knows one that takes insurance). 

I think Drs. in Beverly, Peabody, Salem, Swampscott and Marblehead might far enough, but if people know of others I would be willing to consider.

Also, if people have drs. that are over 30 minutes away, how do you deal with sick visits or emergencies.  One of the things I did love about our practice is the weekend ours for sick visits (although we have only used that once) and responsiveness of the drs after hours when DS was an infant.

TIA!
jill

WOHM   geek.gif , wife to fuzmalesling.gif since 10/07, momma to jog.gif born 8/22/10 and belly.gifEDD 8/16/13

#2 of 19 Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Welcome to MDC! I just thought I'd bump your post up. smile.gif

Anyone have a recommendation for a pediatrician in this area?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 19 Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for trying!  I am having such a hard time locating anyone.  A couple names that have been given to me off forum were Dr. Coffey in Saugus and Dr. Sutherland in Beverly, but I would love to hear from people that have actually taken their children to either of these Drs. or someone else in the area.
jill

WOHM   geek.gif , wife to fuzmalesling.gif since 10/07, momma to jog.gif born 8/22/10 and belly.gifEDD 8/16/13

#4 of 19 Old 09-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Hey, I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but just wanted to say hi and I'm in the same boat.  I have been driving from almost NH, to see Dr. Coffey in Saugus, and I highly recommend him, BUT... he is going to be out of the office until at least December due to a personal situation (I hope he's not sick, he is really a lovely person).  Anyway, I hate everyone else in his practice, so I feel as if I need to find a new doctor for my kids.  If they got sick and really needed someone before he got back, I just wouldn't feel safe bringing them there :(  SO.....if there's anyone else out there...????  Please give us a shout!!!!

Proud mommy to DS 10/27/09, and two crazy fur babies, married to my superman, and loving this mommy thing! No circ, no vaxes, veg, and making up the rest as I go along
#5 of 19 Old 09-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Dr Horowitz in Danvers is okay when it comes to vaccination. He may question but respects that it is ultimately up to the parents to decide.  We selective and delay and so far he has been good.  His NP is even better about it.

#6 of 19 Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Just my two cents on Dr. Horowitz, because I was looking for reviews on him when choosing a doctor for our first baby a couple months ago. I'll preface this with the fact that I have *only* met him through a "meet and greet" appointment. I love that he offers that meeting - both for his benefit and the patient's. But I was turned off for a number of reasons - and maybe someone else might find this info useful.

1. He asked where we were having our baby and we told him we were having a home birth. He started the meet and greet by telling us how he was not a supporter of home births, even though one of his children was a planned home birth. I really wasn't looking for his opinion on that, but it did turn me off to have to listen to his point of view on it.

2. He admitted that he used to be very lax on vaccines, but over time, he has shifted to not being so lenient. Even though he said he has a high percentage of folks who delay or do not vax, he didn't agree with it any longer. We wanted a care provider who would explain both sides to a situation, and let us decide. But, I felt I would only get a one-sided view with him. I also had the feeling I would likely hear his opinion on vaccines over and over, as well, and I didn't really want to deal with that.

3. We spoke about circumcision. He asked what we wanted to do, and we told him we were on the fence. He responded with, "If you're on the fence, you should just do it." I was shocked. I thought that if anything, he would tell us to do nothing if you're undecided on something so significant. Once again, he didn't tell us the pros and cons of both - he only referenced the pros to circumcising.

4. He ended the meeting with a joke that I felt was in poor taste. He asked us a question and I responded with, "oh, I don't know." He then said, "Well, maybe you should rethink this whole parenting thing." I said, "Oh, uh, it's a little late for that!" (as I rubbed my 8-month pregnant belly). He then said, "I don't know - these days you could easily get about $10k on the black market for a white baby."  ????????? I was shocked.

So, with that said, we made an appointment with Dr. Chris Cooper in Acton Medical and we really liked him. So far, we've been about 3 times. (I have a 5-week old who was jaundiced when he was born, so just normal weight checks.) I like Dr. Cooper because he has honestly not pushed vaccines - hasn't even mentioned it once since the prenatal meeting. We also had a planned home birth, and we didn't have ANY records when we brought our son in for his first visit three days later. The receptionist was confused why we didn't have hospital discharge papers, but they were very accommodating. Overall, I've found the staff to be SUPER nice and welcoming. I didn't feel like a leper for having a home birth - which is how I felt speaking with some folks. Dr. Cooper is also familiar with intact boys, so I feel confident about our decision to not circumcise, and I'm not afraid he will advise/do something that would harm him.

I haven't had any sickness issues with DS yet, so I don't know how they are for emergency visits. Although they were super helpful in helping me acquire a prescription for a breast pump, which was a very urgent and time sensitive issue during my first week of being engorged. That was a huge ordeal in an of itself.

Anyway, just wanted to throw in my thoughts. Good luck!

Mama to Jaxon Sage, born 8/11/12, in the backseat of my car. smile.gif

#7 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Willovia!  Thank you so much for your detailed response on this thread and the "dr. cooper" thread- So very helpful to hear your experiences.  Can I ask how far you are from Dr. Cooper's?  We picked our current pedi based primarily on location because we were concerned about sick/injury visits but I don't think its worth it at this point.  

jill

#8 of 19 Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately Dr. Cooper is over an hour away for us.  I just cant see putting my DS in the car for that long if he's not feeling well.   Does anyone have any experience with the peds at North Shore Pediatrics in Danvers?

jill

#9 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 PM

We live in Lowell, so it takes us about 30-35 minutes to get to Acton. Sometimes up to 45 min, depending on time of day/traffic. It took us over an hour to get to Danvers to see Dr. Horowitz - and I had the exact same concern. I didn't want to travel too far if our baby was sick. After doing the drive to Acton, it was really not bad. So, while I would like someone more local, I don't mind the commute right now to have a doctor we like. I think if you trust the person, it makes such a difference. I've read people who travel an hour to pediatricians, so it does happen.

#10 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 02:42 PM

I was also going to add - I asked myself how often would I likely be going to their office for "emergency" type visits with a sick child in the car, and I realized probably not that frequently (I hope). I was more likely going to need to go for standard well visits, and for those I wanted someone I trusted. But I know that when that day does come and there's an ear infection or something, I'm going to wish they were right down the street instead of 35 minutes away. :)

#11 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM

I will agree that Dr. Horowitz seems to be leaning much more toward vaccinations lately. However, if you really want to stay on the North Shore, I have to be honest that you are going to have a really hard time finding that "perfect" doctor. My friends and I have been thru just about everyone and most of the doctors in this area will probably not even see you if you don't vaccinate (even if you delay or do selective).  Dr. Horowitz's NP I have seen once for 2 of my girls well checks and never asked about immunizations.  However, that may be because they just had the pox and so vaccines were out of the question.  But she was so happy with our decision to not vaccinate for the pox and that I have a feeling that she would be open to us doing selective and delayed.

Just to put this out there: I know that many of the doctors, NP and PAs at Family Medicine Associates (offices in Middleton, Manchester, and Hamilton) are okay with alternative vaccine schedules (even not vaccinating). The key is finding one that you like and then hoping that you can see that person for a sick visit. Because it is a bigger operation, the person you see for well checks isn't necessarily available for a sick visit and I usually ended up getting stuck with someone no one else wants to go to and the person always seemed like she didn't know what she was talking about. However, my friend goes to the Middleton office and she is more assertive than I am so she usually gets in to see who she wants for sick visits.  But this is another reason I switched to Horowitz because you always either see him or the NP.  Not some random person you've never met before. 

Dr. Sutherland is another doctor that comes highly recommended by several friends but the reason we haven't checked her out is because I heard the wait times before your appointment can be long and with three littles that just won't work for me.

Good luck with your search and please update if you find somebody on the North Shore that is open to other "ways".  

#12 of 19 Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Also, I reread your original post and I wanted to let you know that Horowitz's office is testing my kids for titers/immunity and was more than fine for testing for some other things that concerned me.  They also do homeopathics although I have never gone for that and I think you have to schedule a separate visit for homeopathics.

#13 of 19 Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hi-

I don't know why i just didn't see these recent posts earlier!  Thank you so much. I have a call into Dr. Sutherland, but she is no longer listed on the office's phone message.  I also just tried Dr. Susan DeLuca and was told she doesn't do meet and greets unless I am pregnant WHAT? that doesn't even make sense.   I will look into Dr. Horowitz, maybe he will at least meet with me before hand and I am glad to hear that they were open to titer testing.   Right now my DS is due for another DTAP and i have serious doubts about its efficacy, so i know the next appointment with our current dr. i am going to get pressured. 

Dr. Coffey is definitely not taking new patients,  I tried. 

Why is this so difficult!

#14 of 19 Old 10-06-2012, 11:01 AM

I used to take my DD to Dr. Allara at Family Medical Associates in Middleton. Not only is it across the street from Richardson's Ice cream (okay, not related, but it made dr.'s visits more fun), but he was very accepting of me not wanting to vax until age 2 (my original wait and see position). He was also very happy for me to plan on breastfeeding until age 2 (again, my original position-we breastfed until after DD turned 3. We have since weaned). He had great bedside manners, and I would go back to him in a heartbeat, except that we moved too far away.

Come ponder with me about food!
#15 of 19 Old 10-16-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to provide an update on our search.  First, thank you so much for the tips and referrals.  We ended up having a meet and greet with Dr. Horowitz this morning.  My husband and I liked his bedside manner very much.  He was clear that he does recommend vaccinations, but would not exclude us from the practice.  What was most important to us it that it seemed like we could at least have a conversation with him without feeling chastised. We will be switching in the next several months. He didn't seem thrilled with the idea of titer testing, and clearly did not know that the the law in MA allows for proof of immunity for at least some of the the diseases.  He did acknowledge that we could write an exemption letter for school.  Our current practitioner would NEVER have even brought that up as an option!  I think the real test will be when my DS gets sick or is up for the next round of shots and we say no.  I hope that we wont have to switch again, and that this will be a better fit for us. 

Thanks again!

Jill

#16 of 19 Old 01-26-2013, 05:44 AM

Hello. I'm hoping someone is still watching this thread because we are moving to MA from PA to the north shore area and I am having a hard time figuring out which practices I can go.  We have United Health Care and a few places have come up but I'm stuck calling and asking point blank whether they support a delay/no vax schedule.   My 4 year old has never had a single vax and my daughter we stopped after she became unresponsive after each series and developed some other issues.  I have a history of a severe allergic reaction too SO we have a real reason for our decision but we are currently with a practice which is for parent choice. They are 100% pro-vaccine but feel the parent should make their decision and knowing what our family has been through and how exceptionally healthy our children are and how responsive we are to any issues (we bring them in) they are so supportive and rarely mention it.  I'd like to find that again.  I am very pro-medicine but extremely cautious about our family history of sensitivities.

Any suggestions for a doctor within 1 hour of Newburyport. I'm not sure how far some of these doctors are. If you can post links to their websites and/or a phone number I'd greatly appreciate it.

#17 of 19 Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 PM

Thinkingoutloud- see upthread the recommendation for Dr. Cooper at Acton Medical Associates. We've been there 3 years now, and love Dr. Cooper. Their office is very well run, and every other doc we have seen there for urgent visits are good, too. It will run you approx 1 hr to get there, though. It takes me 30 mins to get there, but I drive there gladly!

Mama to DD (4.5), DS (2), and a little girl expected August 2012!
#18 of 19 Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Another update since my September post. We've seen Dr Cooper about 3 times for same-day urgent care - once on Xmas eve for an ear infection. So happy with our experience these last few months.

#19 of 19 Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 PM

Just another recommendation for Dr. Cooper. We call him the "Mr. Rogers" doctor. He's fantastic, so laid back and so good with the kids. He's been great with our delayed vax schedule. I like all the other doctors in the practice as well, especially Dr. Harder.

Pre-natal massage therapist, infant massage instructor and mommy to Jeremiah, due April 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page