Looking for a pediatrician who respects the parents right to NOT vaccinate their children. Live in Western MASS. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Moms,

Currently I take my four year old to a pediatrician in the Springfield area.  We were reccommended by a friend to go to Sumner Pediatrics. A church friend told us that the office respects a parents right to choose their childrens health and medical procedures ie vaccinations etc.  We went, and for the first two visits, one at 2, another at 3, everything was fine. I go this past May to his last visit (at 4 years) and a medical assistant comes into the room, along with the pediatrician and begins to ask me the usual questions along with very personal questions like where I work, where my husband works etc. Then the pediatrician begins to ask me questions she has already asked me 3 years before. (As if we never discussed these things) She told me about my sons heart murmur (I know that, I was the one who mentioned it to her) because I gave her the results from his previous pediatrician. As if I didnt know. Then she asked me why I wasnt vaccinating today (mind you, I have been taking my son for 3 years already and we have a vaccine exemption form on file). Its as if the past three years were just a dream and never happened. I was so confused and I just looked at her dumbfounded like, "Didnt we discuss this 3 years ago? And why is she bringing this up now?" Is it because the medical assistant was in the room in training?"  I felt like she didnt even know who I was, like if I were a new patient. It felt very uncomfortable and I felt like after three years, she didnt know who we were. :(

Anyhow, looking for find another pediatrician. If I go to a doctor for my son, I expect them to remember me and my son and what we are about. I understand they deal with hundreds of patients, but at least ACT like you remember me and DONT put me on the spot with another assistant because I am alone in the office with you and my husband is in the car.  Im not feeling very comfortable with this pediatrician. I want to feel comfortable and feel like I can trust them. Its getting to the point where I am becoming anxious to go/take him there.

I really dont know what to do except find another doctor, but I dont want to leave if the other is worse, boy have I run into some ahole pediatricians.

What should I do? and if I leave who is a great pediatrician in Western MA that TRULY respects the parents rights and arent nosey in the parents personal life. 

#2 of 5 Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 AM

I take my kids to Greenfield Pediatrics and they have been very flexible with me. I like them a lot, but Greenfield is far if you live in Springfield.

http://www.Facebook.com/BellyfullBirth
#3 of 5 Old 12-22-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Still looking. I can not believe I am the only mother who does not vaccinate her child in Western MA.  This is ridiculous.

#4 of 5 Old 12-22-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Marissa, Greenfield would be too far.  Flexibility does not sound so great.  We want someone who will respect our decision and wont bully us at every appointment.  Its horrible.  I  hate MA.

#5 of 5 Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 AM

There is a practice in Easthampton that I know does home visits after homebirths, you might explore that. Or call Holyoke Midwives and ask them for a recommendation.

http://www.Facebook.com/BellyfullBirth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page