SE Massachusetts - hospitals for labor and delivery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone comment on Jordan vs. South Shore? Aside from the fact that South Shore has a NICU?

babyf.gif... due in late June.

#2 of 3 Old 10-17-2012, 01:29 PM

Is Tobey (Wareham MA) within your area?  Are you looking for a midwifery practice?   Jordan has my 'vote' at this point, over SSH.  They are really making an effort to change the culture of birth and have a wonderful group of midwives that many moms have raved about over the years.  The midwives that were at South Shore Midwifery now are at Jordan hospital and the practice merged to be called: Jordan Ob/Gyn and Midwifery.

I had my son at SSH with a different midwifery practice.  I went to Tobey for a wonderful birth with my 2nd.  Some peole have wonderful experiences with SSH and others do no- so I think, for me, that was too big of a risk to take.  

If you are on the South Shore you should check out the South Shore AP yahoo group, too.   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SouthShoreAP/

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#3 of 3 Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 PM

I had a better experience at SSH than at Jordan, but the midwives (South Shore, who are now Jordan, and are AWESOME!) I saw have now moved to Jordan, and I think the fact that it's smaller and has a much lower c-section rate puts it ahead of SSH for those reasons.

HOWEVER.....my daughter stopped breathing and needed NICU care and observation, and SSH was great for that.  I was discharged before she was, and they had two non-patient rooms available for NICU moms to stay for nursing and frequent holding and contact.

Both hospitals were very breastfeeding-friendly IME, can't speak for others.  I do have to put in a plug for Cindy Hoar, the IBCLC at Jordan....though this was almost seven years ago and I don't know if she's still there.  But she was helpful for several months getting us going and making our nursing relationship successful.

Tobey in Wareham definitely has a reputation as more natural birth-friendly, and Louise, the main (only?) CNM there is wonderful, too. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page