Seeking info about greenriverdoulas volunteer program for low income families, and masshealth/medicare care provider recommendations near Amherst,Ma - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-18-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering if anyone has recommendations to share...
#2 of 10 Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM

I responded to your other post too :) I have volunteered with them in the past, and am on the Board. Again, happy to be helpful to you.

Marissa

http://www.Facebook.com/BellyfullBirth
#3 of 10 Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMarissa View Post

I responded to your other post too smile.gif I have volunteered with them in the past, and am on the Board. Again, happy to be helpful to you.

Marissa
Hi Marissa, Is there anything more i can find out about the doula program without applying? The website didnt really give details on what is being offered, it sounded like it varied from doula to doula? Is there a certain number of visits someone could be elegible for? Or a pricelist for the sliding scale ? Are there funds available for the doula to volunteer? I dont want anyone helping me if they cant afford it, and I am unclear on how it works. If you are eligible for a doula , do you have a choice of who it is ?
#4 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 AM

Hi again,

For the volunteer program...this is intended for women who really can't afford to pay anything at all for doula care. Yes you get to choose, we would put out a call for you to our doulas and those who feel able to volunteer would respond and you would get a list of people to call. Everyone's package differs, but two prenatals, the birth, and a postpartum visit is pretty standard. Sometimes the doula gets paid a small stipend with donated funds to cover gas. Many doulas (including me and most others) offer a sliding scale if you can afford to pay something, but that would be separate from the volunteer program. You can just call some people and ask about their sliding scale. Start by giving me a call if you want, I can put you in touch with the volunteer coordinator, and you can decide what to do from there. My number is 413-522-3949 and I am happy to get you started.

Marissa

#5 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Is it important to sign up soon to secure a spot? Im due in july.
#6 of 10 Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

What were you saying about the vermont option, how was it different than the newhampshire option..do i still need to drive to vermont? Or how would they accept masshealth? Thank you for talking with me, it was nice.
#7 of 10 Old 12-20-2012, 11:51 AM

I'm honestly not sure, since I'm not a midwife. Try calling the birth center in Swanzey NH they would know. Good luck!

#8 of 10 Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

I am feeling really confused about our conversation actually. I sent in the volunteer request, without giving my name, as you suggested, which I was comfortable with, and recieved a response saying they could not communicate with me without knowing my name...so, i guess I am looking for clarity about everything you said. I will admit it was really hard paying attention to what you said due to a migraine headache I have for 1/2 of everday and feeling very out it. And, I dont think as fast as you were talking, it makes me just nervous, like the pace of the world around me. But i do remember you saying a few times, that this program i usuallyfor teenagers??. I am not sure if you were suggesting that it is not for me.??? As I explained , I have very little income, and really can not afford to have a baby. IIt is very hard to talk about right now since i am figuring out how to deal with it, which is why i contancted this program. I am figuring out what i need to buy and hoping that i may have money left over, but that is just a hope. I am not looking for pity, but i have given up living in an apt in the past and lived in my car, just to save money for things like a carseat as i told you. Being homeless for years has taken a toll on me and i have survived much trauma. I feel i am deserving of some help from the doula program but dont want much. You asked about my partner, and what support I have. What do you mean by "support"? I really wish there was more you could tell me about how to qualify for this program b/c i feel confused by their reeponse and wanting more info from me, while i would like more info from you all, and dont really feel clear after our talk. The only thing clear to me is that this service is under used and from my perspective, it must be because it is expensive , and very difficult, and demanding to become a parent,. I would also like to become a volunteer doula, i dont have formal training, but have been there for friends in the "full spectrum" as they call it now. Do you have "full spectrum" doulas? Thanks again.
#9 of 10 Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping for Marissa...no rush, I just am confused about our conversation since I usually associate my time on mothering as confidential and talking with you was a little different, so i am not sure how to move forward with the doula program.
#10 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 AM

Sorry I am rarely on here. The program is for anyone who needs it - I encourage you to apply and ask on the form to not put your name on the list serve email if you are concerned about that. But they need your name so they can respond to you. Maybe reply to whomever emailed you back? It sounds like you need and want the support so definitely go for it. As far as volunteering, when you're ready to begin doulaing call or email Green River and they will tell you all about it. You need to be a member of the organization to volunteer through them. Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page