Help with birthing options in Metro West - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm hoping someone here knows something I don't about birthing options in the Boston Metrowest area, because I'm at a loss.

We recently moved to Massachusetts, and just found out we are pg with our third child. DS was born with a CPM in a hospital - ok but not great experience - and DS2 was born at home with a CPM - amazing experience.

I would like nothing more than another homebirth, but this pregnancy was unexpected and I just don't see how we can afford it. We scrimped and saved for the last one and it was worth every penny, but things are very, very tight right now and cost of living is far higher here than where we lived before. It just isn't an option.

I went to an informational night at the Cambridge Birth Center and left incredibly disappointed. I have my first prenatal with them next week, but I am not hopeful that this will be a positive experience.

I am also a little concerned about the distance. It's about 30 minutes from work but up to 1.5 hours from home, depending on traffic. My last labor was quick and easy, so I'm worried I might not even make it there in time.

I contacted the birth center in Milford, NH, and while they had some concerns about taking me on because of the distance (1.25 hours without traffic) they would do it with certain conditions. My mother lives in NH, so I could possibly stay with her toward the end of my pregnancy, but that would mean leaving my other children. I don't know that I could get enough time off from work for prenatals, either. This may not even be a viable option, as it seems my insurance may not cover them.

Are there any other options nearby that I just don't know about? I'm in Sudbury. I'll consider hospitals, although the thought kind of turns my stomach. I'm just so disappointed.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#2 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

you've identified the two major independent birthing centers in the area. I don;t have any others to suggest, but as hospital options go, Newton Wellesley could be worth checking out. There are two midwife practices affiliated with the center, and I find mine to be very supportive of natural approaches to giving birth and nurturing your new baby. I can't comment on the hospital itself yet though.

good luck!

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#3 of 13 Old 12-06-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimble View Post

you've identified the two major independent birthing centers in the area. I don;t have any others to suggest, but as hospital options go, Newton Wellesley could be worth checking out. There are two midwife practices affiliated with the center, and I find mine to be very supportive of natural approaches to giving birth and nurturing your new baby. I can't comment on the hospital itself yet though.

good luck!

Thanks for your input! Which midwives are you with? Have you found them to be supportive of your choices, and do they include you as an active participant in your prenatal care? The Cambridge mw looked at me like I had two heads when I asked whether there was flexibility in prenatal testing and protocols. I definitely got the impression that you have to follow all of their rules.

#4 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sent you a PM with more info.

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#5 of 13 Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post

I contacted the birth center in Milford, NH, and while they had some concerns about taking me on because of the distance (1.25 hours without traffic) they would do it with certain conditions. My mother lives in NH, so I could possibly stay with her toward the end of my pregnancy, but that would mean leaving my other children. I don't know that I could get enough time off from work for prenatals, either. This may not even be a viable option, as it seems my insurance may not cover them.

Hi russsk.

I'm also pg; we live in Acton so right near you. I am going with the Birth Cottage in Milford. I have had two appts with them thus far and love it; they are home birth midwives who somehow manage to be covered by my persnickity insurance  :)  so big plus for us. We would consider hb, but we can't afford either (and we live in a townhouse with zero privacy.)

I would reconsider the BC if at all possible. I have found it to be about a 45 minute drive if I push it. The first time took me a full hour because I wasn't sure exactly where I was going- I drove faster (I know, awful) the second time to see what I could crank out time wise and ended up around 45 minutes. 

I just figure I'll go as soon as I know, rather than waiting at home as long as possible like with DD (we birthed at Newton Wellesly). 

That said, if you have to go with a local hospital, there are some great choices. I birthed at NW with the Wellesly Nurse-Midwives (I'm sure I'm mis-spelling Wellesly but don't care to spellcheck  :)) and it was an ok experienced, the hospital is pretty great. But, it is a hospital ...

Good luck! And I am always looking for like-minded mom friends, if you ever want to meet up.

Jess

treehugger.gif earth-loving, whole-foods-loving, frugal young mama to one sweet, crazy, Leo (DD1) and my new little Gemini (DD2). always aiming to love more, argue less, and keep things in perspective. 
#6 of 13 Old 12-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Hi there,
I'm in Ayer, and also using the Birth Cottage in Milford. We absolutely love it there! We visited the Midwives at Mt. Auburn and found it to be cold, clinical and not focused on empowering us to make decisions. Anyway, if it's at all possible for you to go to the BC, they are wonderful! A friend also delivered at Newton-Wellesley and found it to be warm and pro-natural childbirth. My first was at Brigham & Women's greensad.gif

Hope this helps!
Laura
#7 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother View Post

Hi russsk.

I'm also pg; we live in Acton so right near you. I am going with the Birth Cottage in Milford. I have had two appts with them thus far and love it; they are home birth midwives who somehow manage to be covered by my persnickity insurance  :)  so big plus for us. We would consider hb, but we can't afford either (and we live in a townhouse with zero privacy.)

I would reconsider the BC if at all possible. I have found it to be about a 45 minute drive if I push it. The first time took me a full hour because I wasn't sure exactly where I was going- I drove faster (I know, awful) the second time to see what I could crank out time wise and ended up around 45 minutes. 

I just figure I'll go as soon as I know, rather than waiting at home as long as possible like with DD (we birthed at Newton Wellesly). 

That said, if you have to go with a local hospital, there are some great choices. I birthed at NW with the Wellesly Nurse-Midwives (I'm sure I'm mis-spelling Wellesly but don't care to spellcheck  :)) and it was an ok experienced, the hospital is pretty great. But, it is a hospital ...

Good luck! And I am always looking for like-minded mom friends, if you ever want to meet up.

Jess

Thanks so much for your input! My persnickity insurance told me they won't cover CPMs when I called them, so the BC is likely not an option for me at all. And though we are pretty close to Acton, we are off the main roads so it takes at least 20-25 minutes to get to Rt 2, so I do think the BC would be a bit far. If this were my first or second kid I don't think I would be worried, but third is a stretch....

What were your impressions of the midwives at NW? (And which group did you use, if you don't mind my asking?) That's looking like my best option right now.

#8 of 13 Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Hi There!

So far I have had a really positive experience with the CNMs at AFA OBGYN in Concord MA - I'm not sure how accessible this location would be for you. They have you meet with every midwife there as it is possible that any one of them could be present for your birth - and so far each one of them has been kind, caring, and took any amount of time I needed to answer questions and discuss their birthing philosophies. I'm not sure if this would be the right fit for you, but I've found them to be an awesome group.

Best of luck to you on your search, Momma!

#9 of 13 Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 PM

I am also wondering about this, thinking about Emerson Hospital vs. Cambridge Birth Center.

Also, Lowell General has midwives, I don't know if anyone has experience with them?

#10 of 13 Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM

I birthed my first child at the Cambridge Hospital because once there was a slight issue...had to be induced the Birth Center was off limits.  This time I am going with the midwives at Mt. Auburn..(mostly because they have a great VBAC success rate).  It is a hospital but I find them to be very supportive of my wishes and understanding in general.  It is worth some investigation at least (Pm me if you would like my rec for a midwife...I love mine!) I guess I will be able to give you more details in a month or so...Good luck   

#11 of 13 Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Just my 2 cents...

I am new to wadeing through this mess of my options based on my insurance company. They cover HB, but only with CNM. Of course in MA it is illegal for CNM to be primary attendant at a HB. Catch-22. Anyways, I'm in Ayer also and I've been going to AFA in Concord for prenatal (I've had 2 appts there), but haven't been happy with them. Beautiful office, nice midwives. But, I've been reminded at both appointments how "important" prenatal testing is, they required an ultrasound to "determine exact due date" (even though I know exact dates of last period and of conception), and their office and their packets are littered with formula promotion material. When I tried to ask some questions about their labor/delivery policies and stats at the last appointment, I was told that it could wait until my last month before I'm due. (No, thank you, I'd like to know your policies now because not knowing is what made my first birth so surprising when I got to the hospital!) If you're looking for a hospital-type birth but just with a midwife, they might be for you. If you are looking for a more natural birth, ask questions before you book your first appointment there.

I hope that helps!

If anyone has any experience with Sarah Bay (CNM), who sees central Mass patients, I'd love to hear about it.

Good luck!

#12 of 13 Old 01-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Depending on what would be financially feasible, you could try to figure out if your insurance will cover your prenatal appointments with a homebirth midwife, even if they won't cover the birth itself.  That could cut the cost significantly.

letniaLynne likes this.
#13 of 13 Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 AM

When I delivered in RI 4 years ago with a cpm at home my insurance covered much of the cost. My midwife was not allowed to deliver children in RI so the way we got around that was that my husbands name was put on the birth certificate as the person who delivered. The costs that were billed to the insurance were for the prenatal care wink1.gif they were never billed for the birth.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page