Baby hold breath and passes out; looking for knowledgable doctor and motherly advice. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an 8 month old baby who has passed out 5 times from holding her breath. Here is an example of the situaiton: She is learning to sit on her own. She toppled over yesterday and was very upset by it. She started to cry and it because a "quiet cry". You know, the one that is silent and then the baby gives out a burst of cry. Instead, she continues to hold her breath until she passes out and her eyes roll back into her head, gets red and get into a fetal position with her fists up near her head. The first two times it happened, I thought she was choking and did a finger swipe and hit her back. Our pediatrian told me to splash a little water on her face or tickle her feet to get her out of the moment. Yesterday, I did both and it took a while for her to breath again (meaning 10-15 seconds). The doctor said this is somewhat normal but very scarey and I should not be overly concerned unless her lips turn blue or she is disoriented, confused afterwards. The pediatrian wants to rule out seizures so my baby had an EKG and a follow up appointment with a neurologist. Has anyone had any experience with this?

#2 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about your LO!  Mine did that a few times when younger but never to the point of passing out - I would ways blow into her face when she got the quiet cry started to startle her out of it and she would do a quick inhale and yell. 

#3 of 5 Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 PM

I knew a boy that did that.  He was ~6-12 months old when it first happened.  Parents were told the same thing -- very scary, but some babies just do this.  Family has since moved away, but I see them on facebook and I believe he's grown out of it.  I also knew a boy that had frebrile seizures.  The things babies do to scare us ....

#4 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 04:26 AM

My brother (as an older baby/toddler) did it whenever he got upset, he'd hold his breath until he passed out. Super scary, but we'd make sure he didn't bang his head when he passed out. He grew out if it.
#5 of 5 Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 AM

My kids both did it, but blowing in their faces worked... Never got to the point of passing out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page