Anyone have a successful VBAC after twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious on some input about VBAC after twins. I am a healthy 32 year old woman with beautiful, healthy 6 month old twin daughters. I labored for 26 hours with 4 hours of pushing before I was given an ultimatum of either a c-section or suction. I opted for the c-section. Both girls were positioned perfectly throughout my entire pregnancy, but Baby A's shoulder kept her from sliding through. I have had an extremely hard time with not being able to birth vaginally. Our next baby I absolutely want to try for a VBAC, possibly even a home birth. My entire family & all of my friends are enraged that I would even consider either option as they are both "so dangerous". I am getting very frustrated to the point that I don't even want to discuss it with anyone. I would love some feedback from other moms in my situation! Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-12-2013, 03:37 PM

I haven't had a VBAC after my twins (haven't had any births after my twins, actually), but wanted to quickly say that your friends and family are working with outdated information. Encourage them to do some research before chiming in about your decisions. Not sure where you are located, but I hope you will be able to find a VBAC-friendly practitioner to help you reach your goal :-)

#3 of 6 Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM

Hi, Meal003,

I am planning a VBAC after a singleton birth (I am currently pregnant with my second), so can't speak personally to your questions about a VBAC after twins. However, I am also a doula who has supported quite a few VBACs, and one was a mom with vertex twins who also ended up birthing by cesarean in a situation that sounds very similar to yours. She dilated fine, and pushed for a while before the decision was made to have the cesarean. All this to say, she went on to have a very successful VBAC with her third baby.

According to current research, VBAC is a very safe option, and there's lots of evidence to support that. I recommend that you read the information available online from Childbirth Connection (their VBAC white paper is excellent), check out ICAN-online.org, and talk with your local care providers on their experiences and VBAC rates. Depending on where you live, I might be able to help you with pointing you in the direction of homebirth midwives who can help you explore your options further. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more.

Best of luck to you!

niccoluv

#4 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 08:20 AM
jdc

Hi there,

Congratulations on your beautiful babies!  How are you holding up at the 6 month point with twins?  For me, the 6 month mark was a big turning point, but wow, the whole first year is so wonderful and exhausting!

I am sorry that you did not end up with the birth experience you wanted.  That can feel so disappointing. 

I am kind of a reverse case of what you're asking about... I had a c-section with my first child, after planning for a natural birth, so felt super disappointed and had to really grieve that birth a long time.  Then, almost exactly two years later, I had a successful, natural (no drugs!) VBAC at Memorial Hospital.

I wrote about both experiences on my blog.  You can find the c-section story here:  http://www.multiplerealitiesblog.com/2012/05/birth-in-two-acts.html

And the VBAC with Twins story here:  http://www.multiplerealitiesblog.com/2012/08/the-natural-vbac-twin-birth.html

I hope these are helpful to you and feel free to email me or message me if you want to discuss anything further or if I can be of help!

Good luck, and here's wishing you some SLEEP with those precious little ones you have.

-Jenn

follow my blog at: www.multiplerealitiesblog.com

shop my natural + organic items for children (and their grown-ups) at: www.etsy.com/shop/dearlizacreations

#5 of 6 Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM
jdc

P.S.  There is a Facebook group for parents (mostly moms) of twins in Southern New England.  Not sure if you're on Facebook, but it's called "Southern New England Parents of Multiples" if you want to join!

-j.

follow my blog at: www.multiplerealitiesblog.com

shop my natural + organic items for children (and their grown-ups) at: www.etsy.com/shop/dearlizacreations

#6 of 6 Old 01-20-2013, 04:30 PM

Oh I hear you mama!

I have had some clients with really ignorant relatives say terrible things. 

One strategy would be to throw it back at them and say it is really sad that they have know you all these years, know how intelligent you are, and seen you as an awesome loving protective mama and that they would ever think that you would do anything to endanger your own or your babies life.  You can then tell them that you understand that they really don't have a lot of information about how modern midwifery care works and that if they would like to do some research about what it is really like then you would be happy to discuss it with them.    A good start is showing folks the Business of Being Born, and a good book is PUSHED.

Good luck with your family and your choices and congrats on your babies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page