Dentist Central CT - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Looking for a dentist for my 15mo DD who just popped another 3 teeth over night bringing the total to 9.  We live in Enfield, most of our other docs are Vernon area so the drive is ok.  Looking for someone holistic/open to natural options.  I have no problem refusing the bi-yearly xrays (we're also non-vax) just don't want to find a practice that will refuse to see us if I say they can't do something.  I went to Smiles for the Future in Glastonbury waaaay back in the day when it was Schrieberman and Young (the same hygenist who cleaned my teeth when I was 4 was still there the last time I went when I was like 22!) and it was a nice office although I'm not sure how they handle natural options.  So who do you ladies use?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Bump! We're at 12 teeth now - anyone?

#3 of 5 Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We love Dr. Bloom in W Locks!  So close to you.  I really like him, his staff and the office- not sure about the crunchy factor but at least he doesn't push fluoride supplements. He is young and it is a newer practice so I don't think he would turn you away for refusing x rays or anything. He is super nice

#4 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Just curious, why see the dentist so soon? The advice I've heard and followed with no regrets its to wait till they're three years old. At least, in an area with fluoridated water.
#5 of 5 Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM

Babies should see the dentist at age 1.  A truly healthy approach to dentistry centers on prevention.  Age 1 is the perfect time for the dentist to take a peek, ensure normal development, rule out decay, and spent most of the appointment discussing home care for parents/caregivers.  That said, some dentists prefer kids that young to be seen at the pediatric dentist.  Avoid the Kool Smiles type places and find a established experienced pediatric dentist.

I've seen some really sad cases where Mommy/Daddy/Grandma/etc were doing the wrong things (without even knowing) and the poor child winds up in the OR.  The infection will need to be treated and I have never met a parent that thinks their 3 year old could make it though a filling without sedation.  Baby teeth are important for healthy diets, speech development, and of course the development and positioning of the adult teeth.  Prevention is best.

If you are looking for holistic dentistry, almost every dentist is "holistic" in the true sense of the word (not just treating a "tooth" but the WHOLE person).  If it was just about treating a tooth, you wouldn't need a DDS or DMD to do it.

If you are talking about "holistic" in the sense of a cheesy misleading marketing for a "metal free office" then you can probably find one in the telephone book.  I doubt you will find a pediatric dentist that doesn't believe in fluoride for kids who have high caries risk.  Low caries risk, no fluoride? No problem!  Depends on the child.

Again, prevention is best.  But, if there is an issue, it will need to be treated surgically (filling) or with medication (fluoride, antibiotic, etc.  It will really depend on the diagnosis).  For that reason, there really is no "natural" dental treatment once dental disease actually presents itself (other than gingivitis).

You will probably not find a dentist who will allow you to refuse x-rays all together.  The dentist could easily miss a diagnosis without taking x-rays and I'm not just talking cavities here.  The Board of Dentistry of Rhode Island would suspend or revoke that person's dental license in 5 seconds flat.

You do want to find a dentist that will evaluate your need for x rays on a case by case basis at the recall visits after the initial appointment exposures are taken.  You do not want to see someone who just takes x-rays just because it is a follow up visit.  It is actually pretty easy to find a dentist who follows this patient-centered protocol.

I know you will find a great dentist! I just wanted to clear up any misconception you may have had before you go.  I'd hate for you to find someone great and not even know it because you didn't know what to look for or to know how to tell the difference between someone who will tell you what you want to hear and take your money and someone who practices with your child's best interest at heart - even if you may not want to hear it :)  

It sounds like you really like the dentist you had already seen yourself.  I'd try there first.  Establishing that trust is soooo important.  I'm sure they will be open to hearing your concerns and explaining their own.  

Best wishes!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page