Pediatrician near Inman Square - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I'm due with my first child in May and am looking for a pediatrician near my home in Cambridge. Preferably the Inman/Central/Kendall area, and hoping for somewhere that is either VERY close (Inman) or has a parking lot and not just street parking(so could go a bit further, but hoping within 10-15 mins from Inman).

Looking for a doc who is supportive of breastfeeding/cosleeping/etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks so much!

#2 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM

Most pediatricians in that area area bf/co sleeping friendly its whether or not you vax that you have to worry about.
#3 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
We have had really good experiences with Harvard vanguard pediatrics on Broadway. They're very close to Inman. They have a parking lot. The office in Davis does urgent care on the weekends.

Everyone I've talked to there has been awesome about breastfeeding. I can't recall really getting into it with them about cosleeping. We do vax, and I don't know how they are about non-vaxing. I agree that it's an area with a lot of options, and Cambridge in general is pretty crunchy, so I don't think you'll have a lot of trouble.
#4 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM

I used to go to Cambridge Family Health in Inman Square..Theresa Cochran is sweet and respectful.  I do vaccinate but she was okay with a delayed vaccine schedule.  She is a family doc so I saw her as well.  Only switched because we moved and it didn't make sense to drive over there anymore.  

#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!

Meepycat, may I ask who you see at Harvard Vanguard? We actually went there yesterday to meet with someone and while she was pro-breastfeeding (though didn't really get into my extended breastfeeding question) she did not seem all too comfortable with co-sleeping. I told her point blank that we are planning on cosleeping (with a bednest and then later crib sidecarred) and she made a comment about how that's still unsafe. It sounded like she would be generally okay with what we chose (and mentioned she has patients who cosleep, who take more holistic routes, etc) but she definitely wasn't automatically open to it and I didn't really feel that comfortable with her responses.

We've decided we'd be "okay" with seeing her but are really hoping to find someone we feel is a better fit...

Oh and we're okay with vaccinating so at least don't have to worry about that when looking for someone.

We're starting to look a bit farther afield than we'd hoped (aka more like 15-25 minutes with classic Boston traffic) so we'll see.

#6 of 6 Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM

Hi, my 19 month old daughter is a patient of Joel Sawady at Cambridge Family Health in Inman Square and we love him!

We have been seeing him since my daughter's birth and he has been very approachable and non-judgmental.  Although it's quite a busy practice, he never feels rushed and seems to really listen to our concerns.  He's got a very calm and gentle way about him.  We happened to have our 18 month check-up today and he spent ten minutes letting my daughter play with his stethoscope before beginning to examine her just so she wouldn't be so scared!  

We were his first home birth patients and while he was taken aback at first, he didn't voice any objections or criticism and actually told us later that he'd been impressed by how thorough the midwives records of the birth had been.  

I'm still nursing and he's never been anything but fully supportive of breastfeeding.  When we told him we were co-sleeping he gave a speech that some studies have shown risks with co-sleeping but finished by saying that there were also a lot of benefits to co-sleeping and he had many patients who did it.  In terms of vaccines, he told us he'd respect whatever we decided.  I can't recommend him enough.  Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page