"Quiet Corner" of CT - seeking Waldorf-inspired (or play-based) preschool or home program? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone knows of a Waldorf-inspired preschool or home-based program in the 'quiet corner' of Connecticut?  We'll be moving at the end of the summer, and will be centered in the Pomfret-Brooklyn-Woodstock area of the state, and would be willing to drive ~30 minutes on a daily basis, even further if we only went 1-2 times a week.  (The closest 'official' Waldorf programs I could find are at least an hour's drive.)  A free-play-based program would be of great interest, as well!  I have considered homeschooling for preschool, but know my daughter (at 3.5) would so welcome the opportunity to play at length with other kids her age, and she has LOVED the mom-and-me program we've done at our local Waldorf school over the past two years.  Would just love for a program to have lots of time for free, creative play, as well as rhythm throughout the day.  Any input on local Montessori schools would be lovely, as well - a more relaxed program (without quite so much 'work'/individual time) could be a good fit, as well.  Thanks in advance for any advice!

#2 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 02:51 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Bumping for input. Anyone have a school to recommend?

#3 of 5 Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Cheers, Cynthia!😊
#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM

Welcome!  I'm right on the Canterbury/Brooklyn line.  There are a couple of Montessori schools that aren't too far (Mansfield and Norwich), but there really aren't any Waldorf programs that I know of in our county.  That being said, if you end up looking for a little more traditional nursery school program, I was very pleased with Village Green in Brooklyn (very play-based, animals in the classroom, lots of music and art projects and sensory exploration).  That's where we'll be sending our daughter in the fall. :)  

Footprints Doula Services

Mama to Oliver 12.22.07 & Lucille 7.14.10

#5 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, footprints doula! Not sure how I missed your reply, but so grateful for it! We will check out village green after we settle in next month. Cheers!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page