Looking for preschools or similar in Central, MA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I'm looking for a preschool-type program for my daughter in the Leominster-Lancaster-Bolton-Harvard-Clinton-Sterling area.  I am not very interested in a traditional preschool, but a completely play-based, very easy-going program.  She has really enjoyed preschool summer camp at her gymnastics school, and I'd love to find something similar - structured, but non-academic.  It really doesn't have to be a preschool - just somewhere she can go 2 days a week for a few hours, with other kids and adults to look up to, fun, moderately structured activities and fun exploration.  The nearest I've found to this is a Waldorf program, but it's out of our price range, and I'm wary of Waldorf despite really liking their programs for young children.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

#2 of 6 Old 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

Bumping for input. Anyone have a recommendation to share?

#3 of 6 Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter goes to school in Lancaster, but it is a Montessori program, which doesn't sound what you are looking for.  Several of my friends children attended a farm school, but I think it is further west than you are hoping for, in Paxton: http://www.tbtinc.org/programs/preschool-age-programs/  Good luck with your search!  

#4 of 6 Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions, CourtB.  I do know of the Montessori here in Lancaster, but you're right, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.  I love the idea of Montessori, but from everything I've read about it, I doubt that it would be a good fit for my daughter's personality.  I do with that farm school was closer.  There's something similar in Harvard, and of course the amazing program at Drumlin Farm.  They're all just a bit too far away, though. 

#5 of 6 Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Applewild School in Fitchburg has a play-based pre-k program (separate from their academic-based pre-k) that I've heard very good things about.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#6 of 6 Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually pretty sure she'll be going there next year! Love Applewild. I think we're getting into the groove if fall activities and will be okay without a preschool for this year. Still feel like we're missing some social, some crafting, but it's okay for now smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page