Need help finding resources fast - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Brief backstory: My brother's long time girl friend has spina bifida, and because of ongoing pain issues stopped being able to sleep, which caused her to become slightly psychotic. My brother took her to the hospital hoping that they would be able to sedate her so that she could sleep. Instead they kept her up checking her vitals, etc, and ignored most of her medical needs, which resulted in her becoming increasingly more psychotic (having hallucinations, becoming paranoid). They sent her out for a psych eval, which she obviously failed, and never transferred her medical records, and therefore didn't catherterize her or give her proper meds. She developed a UTI, which spread to her kidneys since they aren't taking her seriously because she's psychotic. They sent her out to have the UTI treated, then transferred her back. My brother is trying to make sure that she is getting all of her proper meds, but they won't talk to him because of HIPPA. They are treating her horribly, yelling at her and accusing her of being manipulative/forgetful. At one point, her father was visiting and she thought that he didn't really need his crutches, so she tried to take it...one of the staff forcibly tackled her and put her in a headlock. This girl is like 90 pounds soaking wet and has spina bifida - he could have paralyzed her! My brother then forcibly removed the (male) staff member, at which point they threatened to have my brother arrested. The hospital's plan of action is to give her electric shock therapy...after not properly caring for her because she hasn't "responded" the way that they would like her to. We are in MA and she doesn't have a health care proxy. What can they do? Can't they sign her out, even if it's AMA to get another opinion?? Help please.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#2 of 5 Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Does anyone have an info or recommendations to share?

#3 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 10:39 PM

I hope the situation has calmed down and she is doing better and your brother has found someone to help.
I couldnt' read and not say something but this is beyond what I know.  I do know some hospitals have patient liaisons and they might be helpful for your brother to work with 

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#4 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Her parents might be able to get a lawyer and petition for guardianship. It would be easier if she was willing to sign off on it. It sounds like a psych unit from the 70s. A uti itself can make someone present as psychotic as well. Good luck.
#5 of 5 Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. She is home! They were able to deny treatment and got her out (after the doctor threatened them with getting tbe courts involved, since it was AMA). Her health did get a lot better, and she is now home. Very scary situation though.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page