Crunchy towns in CT? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Crunchy towns in CT?

We are looking to relocate to NY or CT from FL and are interested in hearing what towns you all would recommend.

We want to live someplace where the majority of people are like minded. Earth conscious, liberal, AP friendly. Access to holistic health practitioners, organic farms, farmers markets, CSAs. We want to live among people who value family, arts and experience over materialistic goals. We would be starting over so we are looking for a welcoming place where it is easy to make friends. We have 2 very young children (infant + toddler) so access to alternative schooling that is affordable would need to be considered as well.

We are very much in the minority where we are now and would like to change that.

Ideally it would be within a few hours of NYC and Fairfield County CT since that is where our families are located.

New Paltz, NY has been mentioned by friends. We would like feedback about that area if you have any and any other suggestions that fit our description as well. Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellazen View Post
We are looking to relocate to NY or CT from FL and are interested in hearing what towns you all would recommend.

We want to live someplace where the majority of people are like minded. Earth conscious, liberal, AP friendly. Access to holistic health practitioners, organic farms, farmers markets, CSAs. We want to live among people who value family, arts and experience over materialistic goals. We would be starting over so we are looking for a welcoming place where it is easy to make friends. We have 2 very young children (infant + toddler) so access to alternative schooling that is affordable would need to be considered as well.

We are very much in the minority where we are now and would like to change that.

Ideally it would be within a few hours of NYC and Fairfield County CT since that is where our families are located.

New Paltz, NY has been mentioned by friends. We would like feedback about that area if you have any and any other suggestions that fit our description as well. Thanks so much!
If you are at all non vax or choose an alternate vax schedule avoid New York like the plague. I'm up north in Connecticut, so far from Fairfield County but there are a lot of alternate options in terms of health care that way.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post
If you are at all non vax or choose an alternate vax schedule avoid New York like the plague. I'm up north in Connecticut, so far from Fairfield County but there are a lot of alternate options in terms of health care that way.
I'm not familiar with NYs vaccine stance. Can you please shed some more light on that for me? We are a non vax family. Are religious exemptions not available in NY like we have here in FL?

Where in CT are you located? & How far a train ride from NYC?

Thanks so much!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:57 AM

Ok was on my phone before so limited in my reply! How familiar are you with CT in general? Taxes are pretty outrageous especially if you compare them to places down south. I've had many friends and family move to the Carolinas or Florida to get away from the taxes here - wish we could do the same! Fairfield County definitely has it's crunchy areas and CT does have quite a few farmers markets, I think a few co-ops as well:
http://ctnofa.org/FarmersMarkets.htm

http://www.organicconsumers.org/stat...te=CT&type=biz

The schools in CT have all adopted the common core curriculum as the Governor made grants available to implement it...not thrilled with that, but there are options in terms of montessori, and magnet. We have CREC up here which is a lottery to get in - magnet and montessori, all paid by the town you live in, and I do know of a similar set up down Bridgeport where it's a lottery but they also do interviews before accepting students. Fairfield County in general is a pretty good school system, obviously like anywhere there are pockets of not-so-great. More options in terms of private schools there than we have up my way, but also big $$$ to get in them.

Katonah, NY is a pretty nice area, I've done work out that way and have friends there. Not too far out from CT or the city either.

Good luck in your search!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:07 AM

If you brows the INV threads there's more specific info, but basically NY reserves the right to deny any and all exemptions, including medical if that particular area is over a certain allowable percentage....very shady, very illegal

I'm right up on the MA border in Hartford County, DH has taken the train from New Haven, I believe about an hour to the city? I haven't done it so I'm not positive!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 AM

Here's an overview on the NY exemptions, they are very hard to get from what I hear:
http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/newyork.htm
Old 07-29-2014, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. This is definitely a concern for me.

How is it in CT regarding vaccine exemptions? Has your family found that to be an easier situation?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 AM

CT has religious exemption. Our LO will be turning 3 this fall so we haven't had to cross that bridge yet (she hasn't done daycare), but I have not heard of anyone in CT having trouble getting a religious exemption and it seems pretty straight forward - you don't need to state a specific religion or prove church membership like in NY. This is the exemption from directly from the state health department site: http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/infect...rel_exempt.pdf

LO's name, parent signature, address, phone number, done! Just submit along with school paperwork.

I think we are one of the easier state compared to what some on here have gone through. Probably helps that CT has one of the few Naturopathic colleges in the country (Bridgeport) and so there are plenty of docs who stick around to practice in CT. There was a bill going out to allow NP's prescriptive power for pharmaceutical meds and medical devices allowing them to have a much wider scope of practice which I hope will bring more people over to ND practices as they see they truly are medically trained! http://www.cnpaonline.org/2014/04/up...d-take-action/

User Tag List