Center for Women Mount Auburn Hospital reviews? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-01-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed there were a few threads mentioning the midwives at Mount Auburn, and feelings seem to be mixed about maternity services there. I tried to get an appointment with Dr. Beth Hardiman because I would really like to work with one OB and/or one midwife (who wouldnt? ), but unfortunately she has a 5-person waiting list for February 2009. A friend of mine is delivering at the Cambridge Birthing Center at the end of this month, but I would prefer to deliver in a hospital that is natural-birth friendly.

Dr. Hardiman's office recommended two OBs: Dr. Maureen Cook (Lexington) and Dr. Amy McGaraghan (Center for Women, Mount Auburn). Dr. Cook practices alone but delivers with the other OBs at Mount Auburn. So, either way, there's a good chance I won't be all too familiar with my OB at the time of delivery. I decided to schedule an appointment with Dr. McGaraghan since I live in Cambridge, but I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with the OBs, nurses, and midwives at the Center for Women.

Since I know that both Dr. Cook and Dr. McGaraghan might assist in the delivery, I feel somewhat reassured. However, I don't know if the other OBs can be trusted to facilitate a less invasive birth. I'm probably running out of options at this point (not so interested in a homebirth or birthing center), but it doesn't hurt to know what I might be getting myself into. I will definitely have a doula, which I know will help reduce my chances of having a c-section.

I was originally linked into the Brigham and Women's system because of my health insurance, but after reading so many negative reviews, I decided to transfer. Newton-Wellesley sounds nice, but it's much too far away for a wintry due date!
#2 of 8 Old 08-05-2008, 10:56 PM

I had a great experience with the Midwives at Mt. Auburn - I never saw a doctor and that was fine with me. If you check out their web-site www.mamah.org, I think you'll be impressed by their stats.

Good luck.
#3 of 8 Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 AM

I love Maureen Cook- she didn't deliver me as I was living closer to the city& was affiliated with MGH but now she is my OB/GYN & I think she is fantastic!

Good Luck!
#4 of 8 Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the Midwives at Mount Auburn. I'm glad to hear that you like Dr. Cook!
#5 of 8 Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM

I'm currently seeing the midwives at Mt. Auburn. I would definitely recommend attending the next Meet the Midwives night and attending the Meet the Physicians night..the vibe is SO different and will make it clear to you what you want.

I'm loving the midwives at Mt. Auburn, very kind, supportive and gentle. I'm planning to have a water birth there and feel very confident that they will do everything to be as non-invasive and natural as possible, their stats do speak for themself! GL!
#6 of 8 Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 PM
spu

hi there!
I'm a huge fan of mt. auburn - feel free to email me if I can answer more q's... it's a bit late at the moment, and I'm hoping to get some z's...

I had 2 deliveries with the mw's - a vbac which ended in a c (my decision - I can explain more), and a vba2c - they actually let me do a vba2c! I abolutely loved my experiences from the moment I met the mw's. I also spent time with Dr. Amy McGaraghan as I'm somewhat of a high-risk since I've had 3 cerclages and incompetent cervix with all 3 of my pregnancies. (My first pg, I saw a peri at beth israel... switched to the mw's when I was 18w pg with my second pregnancy.)

My favorite mws are: sharon mullen, robyn churchill, and Megan MacInnes who delivered my vba2c. These ladies are very earthy, natural, supportive, and real. And they know what to look for and who to call in if anything unusual arises. While in their care, I saw McGaraghan inbetween visits, and also a peri due to my cervix issues. I met Megan only at my delivery - and she was beyond amazing. I delivered my vba2c baby in 35 minutes and it was as close to a home birth as you can imagine. PP care is amazing too.

I actually had a kidney stone attack while pg with DS#2 and I had just switched over to the mw's so I hadn't even had my first appointment yet - and they took me in their caring arms at 2:30 am and kept me in l+d until I was stable enough to spend a few days in post-partum and be seen by the kidney doctor. The mw's were my angels - giving me lemon-scented cloths to breath, rubbing my back and other points to alleviate the pain...

throughout my experiences, there's probably only about 2 or 3 mw's I haven't met. I have my favorites, and you can request your prenatal appointments with whoever you want or you can rotate.

all good stuff. check out the meet-the-midwives night, or call and ask for an impromptu tour and meet with a midwife one on one and ask lots of q's. They're very supportive of natural births as both my vbac attempt and vba2c were bradley-style labors and births. And no clock ticking in the background, that's for sure.

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
#7 of 8 Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed reviews! My husband and I will check out the next Meet the Midwives Night on Sept. 15. I am so excited to switch from Brigham and Women's, which was efficient but not very pleasant.
#8 of 8 Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great info. Just wanted to let anyone know who's considering Dr. Hardiman to call the instant you know you're pregnant - she already has a waiting list for April 2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page