Organic Mattresses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we're trying to decide what kind of mattress to buy for The Peanut's crib, and I can't find any proof that organic mattresses are actually safer than standard foam or coil mattresses. I want to believe that they are, but feel that I need to back it up with scientific evidence of some kind if I'm going to pay 2-3x more for an organic mattress. Anyone have a link to actual research or a study of some kind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 PM

I'm considering one of these as well...curious to see any replies
Old 08-09-2008, 02:20 PM

I don't know specifically of any studies, but I do know that there have been recalls of conventional mattresses (I'll see if I can find a link) b/c of excessive toxins in the chemicals. Also, most mattresses will have one of or a combination of these chemicals: TCA, pesticides and formaldehyde. These are all known to cause or exacerbate existing health problems. If you plan on breastfeeding, odds are good these chemicals will end up in your breastmilk. The things that end up in breastmilk astound me, but that's another topic, I guess. Anyway, if you don't want to buy organic, a cotton mattress is a good compromise. We did some research on this stuff a few years ago when we were buying new mattresses so I'll see if I can get some links for you.

OK, you may have seen these. They are probably not the most objective, but worth reading.

Link one.
Link two.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:30 AM

We are also considering buying an organic mattress for our LO. Are there any stores in RI (or Mass and Conn) that carry organic mattresses?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 AM

I don't have any research to quote, but I was reading "Raising Baby Green" which is written by an MD. He talks about the chemicals that are sprayed on mattresses. He mentions that if you have asthma, you want to be especially careful. Since I do, we decided to spring for an organic mattress. We can't really afford such things, so I looked high and low for a good one. We ended up buying at organic grace. com. It was the best price and came really quickly. No funky smell at all when it got here and very firm.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:37 PM

We've been looking too. I know Jordans Furnature has a few "green matresses" but im not sure how organic they actually are. I still need to do more research.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 AM

A friend of mine is looking for new mattresses. She is trying to decide whether or not to go organic. She says that she heard by law ALL mattresses have to be sprayed with fire resistant chemicals...even organic mattresses. Does anyone know anything about this? She did hear of one company that puts a cover on top of their mattresses so that you can remove it if you want.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM

That's what they told us when we bought a futon recently. So you have to expose yourself to toxins almost half of every day (until they wear off?) for the very small chance you will have a fire in your house.
I've never seen organic mattresses at a store around here. I would definitely buy one if you can afford it. We didn't and I aired ds's futon for several days, I have no idea if that helped. It smelled like chemicals for months, yuck!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:31 PM

This place has a show room in Watertown. It's small, but we found it to be helpful.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:13 PM

there is a place on Route 20 in Sudbury.
http://www.theorganicmattress.com/index.php
Old 08-18-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug View Post
We've been looking too. I know Jordans Furnature has a few "green matresses" but im not sure how organic they actually are. I still need to do more research.
The 'green' mattresses at Jordans are not organic. They use partially eco friendly foam but they still spray the mattresses with chemicals.
I couldn't afford an organic mattress so I bought one from Jordans and let it air out for over a week before putting sheets on it/sleeping on it.
They also recommended walking on the mattress with clean barefeet as much as possible when you first get it to help the off gassing to dissipate.

I bought a futon mattress from Northern Naturals (online) but it was still stinky for a long time. Plus, it compacted down and got hard quickly.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 08-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
The 'green' mattresses at Jordans are not organic. They use partially eco friendly foam but they still spray the mattresses with chemicals.
Do you mind sharing where you got your information? I was under the impression that no chemicals had been added to the Natura brand mattresses?
Old 08-28-2008, 08:57 PM

YOu can go to www.anaturalhome.com we got ours there. The simply affordable line.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2

User Tag List