Mass Ballot # 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my crunchy granola friends - how are we voting on this one?!

I'm so indecisive until like the moment I vote, it’s so bad. Part of me, the mom part, thinks that de-criminalizing weed WILL make it more popular and any drug that is used - whether its beer or meth - will lead to more reckless deaths of innocent people.

However, I smoked weed in high school (prob shouldn’t be saying that online) - and thank gawd i never got caught. I'm in nursing school now and a functioning normal member of this society and I couldn’t imagine not being able to get a job as a nurse somewhere if I had ever been caught with weed 10 years ago. Ya know.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Not a Mass mama, but just over the border so I've caught some of the ads and news for it. Dh and I were both - it just seems like common sense to me. The penalties for being caught with a small amount of a relatively harmless drug (not being flip about it, but it's less toxic than alcohol and clearly not like meth or heroin in any way) are LIFE IMPACTING. It's just over the top. There is no way someone caught with a little weed should have to pay for that for the rest of their lives.

The penalty for DWI should be more than the penalty for being caught with a small bag of weed, IMO. One is actually dangerous. The other is just stigmatized.

With my own kids, we'll treat weed like alcohol. Something that can be misused easily with great impact to the body, something that needs to be used with moderation and care, and something that it is totally healthy to abstain from. I don't mind if my kids have a beer or a glass of wine; I don't care if they smoke a little weed. I DO care if they are getting smashed on anything, and I care if they are doing either unsafely or because of pressure.

De criminalization won't make it more popular or more accessible. For a short time there might be a rise in usage, but that evens out. If you recall, during the Prohibition, alcohol consumption INCREASED. It was a huge failure. There are many who think that the fuss about weed makes it more appealing and enticing, and I think there might be something to that.

AFA I understand, prop 2 doesn't actually mean it's decriminalized, but that if someone is carrying an amount for personal use (not distribution) it's a much lesser crime - their weed is taken away and they receive a fine. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
Old 10-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Totally voting in favor of it for all of the reasons the pp mentioned and a few others.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:03 PM

I'm in favor of it. I would love to see our tax dollars being used for something other than prosecuting pot users.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM

I'm SO voting yes on this. For one thing, the state gets money from the fines and two, it costs a whole lot more just to prosecute someone for using pot. Besides, pot is pretty expensive anyway.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:05 PM

Dh and I are both voting for decriminalization. I hate to see so many public resources being used for possesion charges when that energy could go toward more serious crimes. Also, I hate that drug possesion falls under mandatory sentencing.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 PM

I'm voting for decriminalization. Just makes sense to me.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
The penalties for being caught with a small amount of a relatively harmless drug (not being flip about it, but it's less toxic than alcohol and clearly not like meth or heroin in any way) are LIFE IMPACTING. It's just over the top. There is no way someone caught with a little weed should have to pay for that for the rest of their lives.

But doesn't MA law already remove the first penalty from a person's record? Only repeat offenders are penalized with a record? I wish the amount of pot in question was smaller by about 25% then I wouldn't have such ambivalence about how to vote. 1 oz feels like a lot to me.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 PM

I am voting for it, though I think it's too much of a compromise. If it's going to be decriminalized then legalize it. This proposition is saying that we shouldn't smoke pot, but if we do it's not that big a deal. I'd like to see it go further.

Crafty Mama to 5 year old DD and 1 year old DS.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 PM

I'm voting yes, without a doubt. Though I don't use marijuana myself, I know many who do and I just don't see how it's any worse than alcohol. To tell the truth, I think alcohol has far more potential to cause problems than pot.

I also think that pot's "gateway" status is due in large part to its illegality.

I could go on a huge rant about this one but I'm tired, so I won't.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:37 PM

My fingers are itchy to vote yes.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:38 PM

My fingers are itchy to vote yes.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
But doesn't MA law already remove the first penalty from a person's record? Only repeat offenders are penalized with a record?
I've never heard that. Anyone know if that is true?

Voting yes btw

mum to Christopher (6/98) Elizabeth (2/05) twins Aaron and Dominic (7/10/06) and new baby Eden (4-18-09)

User Tag List