Save the North Shore Birth Center - Mothering Forums

#1 of 74 Old 11-05-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard some horrible news. There has been a change in hospital administration at Beverly hospital and with a new board of trustees the want to do away with all births at the north shore birth center. Women will still be able to see the midwife for thier prenatal care at the bc but will have to deliver at the hospital. This is horrible and we need to support those midwives. The board of trustees are meeting on Nov 18 to vote for all bc patients to delivery at the hospital.

Any ideas on how to help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 74 Old 11-05-2008, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That is terrible! Where did you hear this? It seems like it would be such a bad move financially since I'd imagine they get a ton of business from their birthing center...though the cost of a hospital birth is so much greater than the cost of a birth center birth...still, I think they would lose a lot of women's business. If they decide to close it on November 18th, will the decision take effect immediately? I have a good friend who is due to give birth there and is due with her first baby ON November 18th!!!!!

Bradley Teacher, Doula, Wife To DH (10 yrs), Mama to DS (7), DS (5), DD (3), DS (17 months) and TTC #5!
#3 of 74 Old 11-05-2008, 03:57 PM

WHAT?! WHY?!?

I will do whatever I can to help--I had such an empowering birth there!!!!!!!

Come ponder with me about food!

#4 of 74 Old 11-05-2008, 05:30 PM

I guess they're going the way of NWH, sigh.
Well, homebirth is always an option for most.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#5 of 74 Old 11-05-2008, 05:45 PM

I have an app. there in a couple weeks. When would this proposed change begin???? I am so distraught this is awful. My Dh would never be on board with an HB and my living situation would not affod it... Where did you hear about this??/

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#6 of 74 Old 11-05-2008, 06:09 PM

I had heard hints of this back in September. If this happens it will be so devastating! I know moms planning to deliver babies there after November 18th. Can we hold a peaceful sit-in on the 18th?
#7 of 74 Old 11-05-2008, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
How terrible. What will come of birth center options in MA. We have got to turn this around...

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#8 of 74 Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootamy View Post
I had heard hints of this back in September. If this happens it will be so devastating! I know moms planning to deliver babies there after November 18th. Can we hold a peaceful sit-in on the 18th?

I would love to. Lets see if we can get one organized. Does anyone have this info from an official source?

#9 of 74 Old 11-05-2008, 11:30 PM

Save the Birth Center!!!

There is a very serious move to stop all births at the North Shore Birth Center. It is being recommended to the Board of Trustees of Northeast Health Corporation that all birth center patients be required to labor and birth at Beverly Hospital. NSBC would continue to provide Gyn and prenatal care at their current site.

On November 18th there will be a proposal to the Board of Trustees of Northeast Health Corporation to no longer allow women to labor or birth at the North Shore Birth Center.

The North Shore Birth Center was established in 1980 to meet the needs of 'low risk women' wanting an alternative to home and hospital births. Since then the North Shore Birth Center has birthed over 6,494 babies, providing quality, low cost, compassionate care in an alternative setting.

Letters in support of the North Shore Birth Center can be sent to your local paper and to:

Northeast Health System's Board of Trustees
c/o Mary Ellen Lear, Secretary
Beverly Hospital
85 Herrick Street
Beverly, MA 01915

For more information contact Pav Kneedler at [email protected]
#10 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 12:11 AM

We've started a group over on Facebook if anyone is interested. We're hoping to draw a lot of media attention as this has become a rights issue: the hospital is trying to decide whether a woman can birth in a center or in the hospital.
#11 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 12:11 AM

I just spread the word to everyone I know. I wil say something at LLL on Wednesday as well. I have contacted Pav and will write a letter tom and hand deliver it to the hospital. I am so upset right now even though I pushed ds out in the hopsital the other 99% of his birth was at the BC. I would never step foot back in the labor and delivery part of the hopital as our experience was a nightmare. I hope this does not go through.

#12 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 AM

This is terrible.

I hope you can find out the location of the meeting and do a sit in right there...sneak in, sit on down, and pull out your signs...invite the media...get everyone to come from all over MA. What do you all think?

I can come if it is during the day...I will come. I hope someone will organize this.

Can someone post this in the MFOM group please?
#13 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 01:53 AM
DBZ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
I guess they're going the way of NWH, sigh.
Well, homebirth is always an option for most.
Not for mothers on MassHealth. They only covers midwives who deliver at hospitals or birth centers.

I know you said most, but I just wanted to point out that the most financially challenged are already grossly underserved when it comes to midwifery care.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#14 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 AM

I've been debating posting this, but I think it's worth others considering. Does anyone have any statistics on exactly how many births happen at the birth center? Nearly everyone I know how used them either choose to have their child at the hospital, was risked out of birthing at the BC, or was transferred to the hospital in labor. I would estimate only 2 out of the 10 women I know who used the BC actually birthed there. Not at all a statistically valid sample, but it makes me wonder. I am not trying to start a debate and I mean no offense, so please don't attack me for asking. But, I think it's important to know what you're fighting for. I would be willing to try to help the birth center out, and I'm all for women having more choices regarding childbirth, but I think this question needs to be answered for us to know how big an issue this really is.

Crafty Mama to 5 year old DD and 1 year old DS.
#15 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 09:33 AM

Just for clarification, who is Pav Kneedler? A consumer who is taking the lead on this? Or someone affiliated with the hospital/birth center?

I would recommend cc'ing any correspondence directly to the NSBC as well for two reasons 1. so they can see how many consumers support keeping the NSBC open for births and 2. so they can have that stack of letters/emails to present to the Board incase the ones sent directly to the Board get "lost".

There must be people in other states who have dealt with protesting birth center closings who can offer resources/tips?

Spread the word far and wide to your contacts list, because women who have birthed at NSBC need to hear about this to make their voices heard!

=================
Mama to DS 5/03 & DD 2/06 :
: ICAN “You never know when you're making a memory.” ~ Rickie Lee Jones
#16 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 AM

I have birthed two sons at the North Shore Birth Center, both of them wonderful experiences. I am also a Certified Nurse Midwife and I did much of my training at the Birth Center (and graduated with Eva Wax!). I have not worked as a midwife since passing the Boards in 2000 because I am currently a stay-at-home-mom, but I do work per-diem as a nurse in Maternity and Nursery at Salem Hospital. I have worked with the Birth Center before on their Advisory Board. They are the best! I am happy to answer any other questions!
#17 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 AM

Approximately 50% of the births attended by midwives from the North Shore Birth Center happen in the Birth Center. The other 50% are either planned hospital deliveries or transfer for some reason (labor not progressing, medication, etc.)
#18 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingmommy View Post
Does anyone have any statistics on exactly how many births happen at the birth center?
They reported 80 births for 2004:
MA Maternity stats
#19 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 AM

I think any woman now under prenatal care at the BC gets the statistics of how many births, transfers, etc. I know I had gotten them for 2006--I'm trying to look for them, but I believe there were about 80 births there that year. And I know the day my daughter was born, there was one other birth (she came in after I did, and I met her later on, so I know she didn't transfer).

I will get a letter started, and would love to attend that meeting!!!

#20 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 AM

Pav,

Is there any information about what brought this on?

Is it due to financials, or another reason?

There was some recent news about "Medicare/Medicaid refusing to pay the federal percentage of Medicaid payments that states might make to birth centers" (which apparently leads to other insurers following that lead). Is this affecting NSBC as well?
#21 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 AM

Here's my letter. Do y'all think I should add anything?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
11/6/2008
To the Board of Trustees of the Northeast Health System:

I am writing to you in light of the news that a proposal will be made to you on November 18th, 2008, that women will no longer to be able to labor and birth at the North Shore Birth Center. This proposal, were it to pass, I feel would be a great disservice to women looking for a real choice in where and how they birth.

I recently gave birth to my daughter at the North Shore Birth Center on August 1st, 2008. While I had had a tour of the labor and delivery area during my 36 week meeting there and thought that as far as hospitals went, it looked very nice, that tour only reinforced my feeling that I had made the right choice to birth at the NSBC. Very knowledgeable midwives staff the Birth Center, and the environment is calm and inviting, similar to that of a nice, cozy home. My daughter’s birth was powerful and intense, and I felt completely at ease in the care of Eva Wax and Debbie Black. Had I been forced to birth in the hospital, despite me being low risk, I feel strongly that it would have impacted my labor and birth negatively, opening me up for interventions that would have been completely unnecessary otherwise.

If I had really wanted a hospital birth, I could have gone to a more local hospital to me, Lawrence General. However, neither their philosophy of medicalized birth nor their setup appealed to me in any way. Making the drive from North Andover to Beverly was very much worth it. I know that other people from much further away also make the drive during labor for the express purpose of birthing at the Birth Center.

There are only 2 bona fide birth centers currently in MA, and while they are not for every woman, those who are low-risk and who desire a natural birth above all else deserve to have the choice to birth where they wish. Closing the birth center would either encourage more women to birth at home (a valid option in its own right, though getting insurance to cover homebirth is tricky at best), or to drive to one of the birth centers in New Hampshire. Either way, business would decline at the Birth Center, and ultimately Beverly Hospital.

Birthing at the Birth Center was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Please do NOT take away that choice for other women in Massachusetts. Besides being cost effective in this age of skyrocketing health care costs, women who are low risk need CHOICE in how they birth.

#22 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 11:16 AM

This was my first response as well - what is going on? What is the hospital's reasoning? Why don't we just address their concerns directly and fix it?

For right now, the reasons don't matter. At this point, what we can do to help is get the word out, organize letter writing (to the Board and to papers), and keep it relentlessly positive and pro-Birth Center! Why is the Birth Center experience so unique and irreplaceable, what does it mean to you, etc.? The last thing we want to do is antagonize them before going into the meeting on the 18th. If things don't go our way on the 18th, there will be more direct action, but at this time this is what we can do to be most helpful to the Birth Center.

I know that this doesn't really answer the question, but I doing the best I can to keep the Birth Center providing the safe, wonderful quality care they have been giving women on the North Shore for all these years!
#23 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 AM

Wonderful letter, Witchygrrl! Just the kind of thing the Birth Center needs! It sounds like you had a lovely birth - congratulations!
#24 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM

Just throwing this out there, Pav, if you can answer it.

80 births seems a little low to me. Are the hospital regulations defining who risks out there particularly stringent? Have those changed in the last few years?

Is there a bigger problem at the hospital preventing the Birth Center from realizing its full revenue? Is the Birth Center getting credit for all of the revenue it does bring?

These details would make local papers far more interested in the story to see the bigger problem going on here, IMO.

::: Just another WAHM using this forum to put off picking up toys and cleaning my house.
#25 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 11:37 AM

It also seems that that they want their CEO to step down.
http://www.boston.com/business/artic...may_step_down/

Anyway, yeah, Rhea's birth was simply AMAZING. I don´t think it could have gone much better, honestly. It would be a real shame to see this resource taken away.

#26 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM

I don't know if the number of births in the Birth Center last year was 80 - I will do some research and get more info. I know that in the years that I was doing my training at the Birth Center (and having my babies there), 1998-2001, they were averaging about 220 births/year and about half of those were at the Birth Center. I am not sure what the number of births were for last year but will find out, and, as I said, about 50% are still delivered at the Birth Center.
#27 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 03:16 PM

Would it be possible to open them up to the idea of allowing VBACs? That is why alot of women end up at the hospital without transfer. Many VBAC clients choose to homebirth. If they were to open up to that patients would come from all over. Now I am debating on how to write my letter as I was a transfer (not by choice). I was only at the hospital for less than hour (But I truly feel most of the birth happened at the Borth Center) Will it look negative if I talk about my birth or should I write from a Doulas perspective only???? I am so torn...

#28 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM

Lisa, I have a similar concern as you. I delivered at the hospital by choice, but fully support the Birth Center. I'd like to write, but not having used the Birth Center it feels odd.

Maybe I could stress the importance of having options available to women instead of a "one size fits all" policy?

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#29 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 04:15 PM

I'm not sure what I can do to help. As I've mentioned here before, I did not have a good experience w/ the NSBC. However, rather than see it turned into a regular midwifery practice (which we already have here), I would like to see it remain in business. Sharing my birth story certainly wouldn't be effective in this case. What about a petition?

Crafty Mama to 5 year old DD and 1 year old DS.
#30 of 74 Old 11-06-2008, 06:50 PM

I wouldn't say no to a protest...

Honestly, If this place shuts down I don't know what I'm going to do. I had my daughter at NSBC and it was one of the best experiences in my life; literally the perfect birth. After that, there's no way I'm having my next (if at all) baby in a hospital because I know there's a better way.

Also, mamas, be aware that homebirth isn't a realistic option for everyone, be it health concerns, lack of money, or a combatitive spouse (me meeting the last two).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page