Hi, Vermonter new to MotheringDotCommunity - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought I would peek in and say hi, I am new to this community although not new to VT. Glad to see there are several other Northern New Englanders on this forum!

Also, I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a pediatrician in the Burlington area who supports a holistic lifestyle with delayed vax, extended breastfeeding etc. I am thinking about needing to start interviewing peds soon as this baby girl should be coming this spring and I want to find someone who is supportive of the choices/level of involvement I want but I have no clue where to start.

Thanks!

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

#2 of 7 Old 12-20-2008, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi there and Welcome!! Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm not close to Burlington so I can't help with the recommendation but there are lots of Burlington moms around. You could also search on this forum as there have been lots and lots of threads about doctors and pediatricians.

#3 of 7 Old 12-21-2008, 04:56 PM

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Burlington! It's nice to "meet" you!! Lol

I TOTALLY recommend you check out Winooski Family Health!!!

I take my ds there. We do VERY selective/delayed vax and they are supportive of whatever we want to do.

He is 1.5 still nursing and they absolutely recommend bfeeding until at least two years old.

Also, they know how to take care of an intact penis (as in, they leave it alone!!) no forced retractions or any of that.

I really hope you check them out! It's a family practice (so not just ped) and it is made up of four women doctors. I have met 3 of them and they are all so wonderful!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#4 of 7 Old 12-21-2008, 05:54 PM

I just PMed ya!
And Welcome!
#5 of 7 Old 12-22-2008, 08:04 PM

we also LOVE Winooski Famliy Health

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#6 of 7 Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 AM

Welcome to Burlington!! (from a rather recent transplant here too!) Enjoying the snow? We're loving it.

Gotta give another recommendation for Winooski Family Health.

We found them based on recommendations from other folks here and we love 'em. Couldn't be happier. The "family health" concept was a new one for me but I like it and it makes a lot of sense. They do care for the whole family - adults, infants, teens and can handle a wide range of issues (including routine well-woman/gyno care, if you choose). It makes a lot of sense to me as they can view more of the overall picture of a person's health rather than segmenting it out.

Our doc there has been great and has always offered options for care rather than just telling us what we were going to do. We mentioned that we prefer a more holistic approach and so we start with those options and go from there. She did recommend a tetnus shot for DH and I since it's been well over the typical time limit since we had one. She gave reasons, told us she did has had that vax herself but then stressed that she regularly sees families that choose alternative vax schedules and has no trouble with that so left the decision up to us. So, they do seem to bridge the gap between traditional and holistic care.

Good luck finding the perfect provider!

Enjoy the holidays!
#7 of 7 Old 12-27-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

thanks to everyone's suggestions, I will be sure to check them all out. Glad to see that there are other Northwestern Vermonters on here!

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page