Mothering Forum banner

Looking for adult primary care dr affiliated with either York Hospital or Portsmouth NH hospital

891 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  svmaine 
#1 ·
It took me 3years to find a perfect fit for a pediatrician but I am having a horrible time finding a dr for myself and my husband. We primarily see a natural dr but I'd like someone covered by insurance for annual physicals, sick visits etc. I've tried Whole Life in Newington and Equinox in Newington and didn't like either. Does anyone have a suggestion for a great dr in this area? I'm especially hoping to find someone with good afterhours care and an office who doesn't make you wait. I had to wait for 45min for my first visit at Equinox and then the dr has the nerve to say to me, "I see you have a Masters degree and you don't use it?" I'm a Stay at Home Mom and that really offended me! I'd also like to find someone who is connected to a hospital as neither Whole Life nor Equinox are. Thank you in advance for any leads you might have. I'm open to your suggestions and welcome your experiences.

#2 ·
Just FYI, Whole Life has access at Portsmouth but so do many other doctors. So, I know you said you wanted to find someone who is connected to the hospital where Whole Life is not and I think you're only bet there is to look at docs affiliated with York. I've heard good things about Eliot family practice and I believe they're connected with York hospital but I'm not sure. I'm not sure what you're hoping to avoid by finding a doctor who doesn't have access at the same hospital that a doc from either of the other practices does - but if it's your doctor and if you end up there on an ER basis or something chances are small that you'd see any of those other docs.

#3 ·
I've been going to Eliot Family Practice for years and I really like it there. Dr. Enzinger is great, as are all the nurses I've seen there. I've heard good things about Jennifer Nelson, too, though I've never met her myself - she's also at Eliot and I believe she's a Nurse Practitioner. She used to be at Whole Life Health, and I think she's probably a bit more "natural-minded" than Dr. Enzinger.

The practice is primarily affiliated with Wentworth-Douglass in Dover, but also has access at York. I prefer to go to either of those hospitals over Portsmouth Hospital, even though Portsmouth is much closer for me.

As for after-hours care, if you call you are referred to a nurse triage line at Wentworth-Douglass usually and they will take it from there. They've been very helpful to me several times when I've had urgent issues over the weekend.

#4 ·
I guess I was not clear. I was just saying I'd like to find a primary dr that has hospital rights. The docs at Equinox (which is affiliated with Exeter Hospital) do not have hospital rights-meaning they can not see you if you are in the hospital. I didn't think that Whole Life had hospital rights either. I'd like to find someone who is supportive of the natural remedies. Wentworth Douglass would be ok too-that is where I had my son-I like that hospital-Portsmouth and York just happen to be closer. I will look into Eliot Family Practice-thank you. In the meantime, I'd be open to other suggestions for a local family dr who is great! A friend had suggested a doc in York but then proceeded to tell me that she usually waits at least an hour for each scheduled appointment. I just don't have that sort of patience. Also, for others, Equinox doesn't even want you to bring your child to your appointments-a major issue when you are a stay at home mom! Thanks everyone! Sorry I wasn't clear in my original posting.

#5 ·
I just went on Wentworth Douglass website-thanks for the heads up that there are family providers who are affiliated with Wentworth Douglass but located in Maine. I'd much rather go to Wentworth Douglass since most of my experiences have been with WDH. Does anyone know anything about Marshwood Family Healthcare? They are also in Eliot? Or anything about the other doc at Eliot Family Healthcare? Thanks so much again.

#6 ·
Marshwood is probably closer to or possibly in Berwick, but not too far. I don't know anymore about them though. I do have a friend who highly recommends Eliot Family practice and has seen Jen Nelson there and her DH sees a newer doc (I think actually a NP) there and really likes her. Also, if you have the time or patience it might be worth asking the nurses in the Birth Center at WDH who they recommend. There is a Dover Family Practice located right inside WDH but I don't know how friendly there are about no-vaxing and such, I just know that they are in the hospital. Good luck with your search! I hope you find a good fit for you and your family.

#7 ·
Oh that's good to know. I always hated Martin's Point in Portsmouth, last experience was me, sick mom who is "still" nursing a 12 months old. I only go when I feel there's not much choice-and boy, I don't like that place.

What in particular is it you guys appreciate about Eliot Family Practice?

#11 ·
My DH and I also see Dr. Corbett and love her relaxed attitude. My kids go to Wende Pediatrics down in Kittery and I'm thinking of switching them to Corbett. The new NP at Wende is definitely not selective vaccine friendly
:.

Sarah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.