birth class options in Burlington, VT? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there.

I asked about birth class options at Maitri, and they gave me the number for a hypnobirthing teacher, and for...I think it's New Beginnings? My sister-in-law (who is also my doula) was not a huge fan of New Beginnings, and while I am willing and interested when it comes to the hypnobirthing, I am curious whether any of you have any experience with other birth class options. I guess I'm also interested in your experiences with the hypnobirthing classes. Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM

My husband and I took hypnobirthing classes at Wellspring Hypnotherapy Center in Essex. *grins* We haven't yet put it to the test since my due date isn't for a bit yet, but everyone else in our class has had their babies. Everything seems to have gone well for them too.

I didn't really consider any other options so I'm not sure what else is out there for birthing classes.

Maman to Mlle. C born 2/22/09, Due with #2 at the end of May 2013

Old 02-12-2009, 04:42 PM

I did the hypnobirthing class at wellspring last summer. I had been worried that it might be too "weird", as I've never done any sort of self hypnosis before. But, I found the techniques were really geared to maintaining a relaxed state of mind and a relaxed body. It was similar to meditation (like what you might do at the end of a yoga class), and really not strange at all. Plus, they go through all of the standard stuff - what to expect physically, what to pack, what labor positions are useful, etc.

Did the hypnosis part help? I don't really know. I know that this class helped me be confident that I could birth naturally. Yes, I still had the discomfort of the contractions, etc. But, my labor went really fast. If I had been scared or stressed about it, maybe it wouldn't have gone as well as it did.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:40 AM

I also attended the hypnobirthing classes at Wellspring and really loved them. The cd's for listening to at home were great for me and helped when labor started. I really recommend the classes and I LOVE the teacher!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 AM

sorry to hijak the thread...but this is so helpful for me as a doula to read these recommendations!!

another quick question...does anyone know of any "birthing from within" instructors in central/northern Vermont? Specifically I have a client who would like to take a class in march/april. I know of a wonderful woman who teaches in montpelier area (Maryanne Perchlik), but in case she isn't running a class sometime soon I would love to know of others who may be out there.

Of course after reading everyone's rave reviews I am going to also recommend the wellspring hypnobirthing to her...which class did you all take (on the website there are multiple class options)?

any other good natural childbirth preparation courses out there?

i am trying to compile a master list to give my clients and I can't tell you how helpful this is!!!

thanks ladies!!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:51 AM

Hello Ladies
I am a midwife in Montpelier and I am teaching childbirth ed classes now as well. My class covers a wide array of topics including:
"the basics"- the anatomy of labor and birth
partner support- including masage and talk
deep relaxation/ hypnosis
yoga
and of course lots and lots of positive stories from my years of being a midwife.
I do group classes, private classes and refreshers. If they are private I can taylor it to suite your specific needs and concerns.
You can email me directly if you have questions
Cheers
Erin Ryan LM CPM
[email protected]

mama of 3 boys born at home, midwife to lots of others
Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangofandango View Post
Hi there.

I asked about birth class options at Maitri, and they gave me the number for a hypnobirthing teacher, and for...I think it's New Beginnings? My sister-in-law (who is also my doula) was not a huge fan of New Beginnings, and while I am willing and interested when it comes to the hypnobirthing, I am curious whether any of you have any experience with other birth class options. I guess I'm also interested in your experiences with the hypnobirthing classes. Anyone?
I took my prenatal class with Beginnings and loved it! The teacher was wonderful.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegreatkids View Post
I took my prenatal class with Beginnings and loved it! The teacher was wonderful.
My teacher was great too except that i found beginnings to focus HEAVILY on medicated births.

I was looked at like I had three heads when I said i prefered to use NO intervention if at all possible and that I wanted a natural birth. We then did an exercise where we HAD to pick SOME interventions because we cannot control our birth and should not expect to have a natural birth because if we did have one, it would be luck...

oh we also had this annoying guy in our class who during the relaxation breathing practicing stuff kept telling his girlfriend not to fart and they'd both start laughing hysterically...

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 06-13-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
My teacher was great too except that i found beginnings to focus HEAVILY on medicated births.

I was looked at like I had three heads when I said i prefered to use NO intervention if at all possible and that I wanted a natural birth. We then did an exercise where we HAD to pick SOME interventions because we cannot control our birth and should not expect to have a natural birth because if we did have one, it would be luck...
I found this to be true also, but I thought it was because we had three sets of people having twins in our class. The teacher was nice-Eryn somebody.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

Old 09-06-2012, 01:40 PM

I know this feed was a couple years ago, but in case currently expectant mamas are reading it, I wanted to add that I am a doula and childbirth educator with Birth Journeys, and we offer traditional childbirth classes (which focus on birth as a natural, normal event, but prepare couples for the unexpecteds/choices), homebirth classes, and we partner with Carolyn Lewis who teaches hypnobirthing and offer our couples a mutual discount when they sign up for both.  Having both under your belt is fabulous preparation for birth!  http://www.vtbirthjourneys.com

Happy birthing!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM

I too wanted to let people know that there are many options out there for birthing classes in the Chittenden County area. I am owner of Naturally You Childbirth and MoonMother Doula Care. I have been teaching and attending births in the Burlington area for the past 14 years (Jan 1999). I am a mother of three~, Quintin 17, Casidy 15 and Azalea 3. I experienced 2 FAHC births (older kids) and a homebirth with my littlest.

I teach a 6 week series as well as a weekend series birth preparation course, in which the focus is on the normalcy of labor and birth but also talk about the "what If's". Classes are held at Maitri Health Care for Women in So. Burlington as well as Evergreen Family Health in Williston. Please contact Eron Cardinal CCCE, CLD 802-482-3192 or [email protected]  

Old 06-22-2013, 09:07 AM

Hi Parents! 

I teach a 2-hour bimonthly birth preparation workshop at Yoga Roots studio in Shelburne that is a nice complement to traditional and/or hypnobirthing classes. 

It's open to all expectant women and includes visualization/relaxation techniques and useful comfort measures.  We create affirming birth visuals with photos, sonograms, postcards, etc. to help you prepare emotionally/mentally for this amazing experience and to use as focal points while laboring. 

New moms appreciate the beneficial information and practice, while seasoned mamas enjoy taking some special time for this new baby while freshening up their tool bag for birth!

See my site for more details and testimonials.

VT Birth Haven

*I also teach a variety of convenient, customized private childbirth/parenting/sibling classes.

Best birthing wishes!

User Tag List