Portland Seadogs appropriate for 3-4year olds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son doesn't have any experiences with baseball, at all. However, my husband and in-laws would like to take him to a Portland Seadogs game. Has anyone ever been? Is it appropriate for a 3.5year old? Of course,t his will mean a late bedtime, an hour drive, and then do they just sit in their seats the whole game? My son also has food allergies so he would not be able to eat any of the concessions. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 PM

I loved Seadogs games as a kid! Games can go a little long for a young guy, I would think. Although, my sister and brother-in-law have brought their little guy already and he just turned 4. Maybe take him but plan on leaving early if he has too. Don't make a big deal about finishing the game, you know?
There are assigned seats but it's generally not packed so if he needs to get up and move around it shouldn't be a problem- especially if you go during the week.

Just don't go when they are playing the Trenton Thunder- That's the NY Yankees AA team and those games are always packed!

Newly Single-Mama. Raising homebirth baby, Josephine, July '09.

#3 of 8 Old 06-23-2009, 03:07 PM

They sometimes have 2pm games on Sundays.
#4 of 8 Old 06-25-2009, 03:27 PM

My friend has been taking her 3yo several times per summer since she was born. We will be going soon with my 2yo, but I don't expect him to be able to sit thru the entire game.
#5 of 8 Old 07-06-2009, 05:40 PM

We have been taking my boys since they were infants my oldest is a huge baseball fan now and 6. the good thing about these minor league games is that between innings they usually have fun events and characters that come out to keep the young ones more entertained which is fun. We usually go to manchester for the fisher cats but have been to portland and i think it is pretty similar if i remember correctly
#6 of 8 Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM

I just took our little one (will be 4 in August) to the Sea Dogs last weekend and he had a blast. He brought his glove & stuffed animal to help catch a baseball. We sat in the pavilion - which has folding chairs, a narrow bench table and plenty of room to move. It is on the other side of the field but you get a great view of the game w/out being packed in tight w/ people all around you.

I think the best discovery for DS was that he could yell "go team", etc and it was ok and other people where doing it too. All the prompting from his older brother's LL games shined bright. He also loved the music and all the other kids running around.

They do check bags for contraband - I assume bottled drinks/food etc. I would call the customer service phone # and ask about food allergies and how flexible they are willing to be. We went to a 6 pm game and made sure to eat a meal before we went. A bottle of water was $2.75!

We had a good time and DS asked when we were going again. I might try an afternoon game next time - just because it is a two hour drive for us and that makes a really late night. Although I think the night games have a special appeal to my kids - w/ the lights and all.
#7 of 8 Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Seadogs games are fun! We will take our 2.5 year old. We always have a good time. You will find maaaany families. Good for any family. Have fun!
#8 of 8 Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 PM

We love to go...not as much though now that we've moved down to NH. Our 3 year old LOVES the seadogs - we even took him last year. It's a very family-friendly/family oriented ball park.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page