Need neighborhood & school advice - York, ME/Portsmouth, NH - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I, along with our 3 kids are moving from NC up to the Portsmouth/York area this summer. We're trying to decide where to live - York, Eliot or Portsmouth. Can anyone give me any advice on great kid friendly neighborhoods in York or Eliot? We loved the Little Harbor neighborhood in Portsmouth but want to check out Maine as well. Also - I'd love to hear some thoughts on schools in the area. Our kids are 9, 7 & 1. We are open to private or public schools.

Thanks for any thoughts!!
#2 of 10 Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 PM

I sent you a private message.....hope you got it as well as some other responses. Good luck
#3 of 10 Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your thoughts on the area. I really appreciate the input. I'm curious about why you do not like York Hospital as much as the others? Do you know of any specific neighborhoods in York that are bigger with lots of kids? Thanks again for your help!
#4 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Hi-

We're in Durham, not far from Portsmouth. If you end up expanding your search and want info. on Durham, Madbury, Lee (often referred to as Oyster River because of the schools) just let me know.

Best of luck!
#5 of 10 Old 11-19-2009, 03:33 PM

You might want to consider Kittery too. It's right between Portsmouth and Eliot and next to York as well. We've been here for almost a year and a half and I cannot imagine living in another area now. (area = Portsmouth/Kittery/Eliot & York area) Good luck with your search!!!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#6 of 10 Old 11-24-2009, 01:48 AM

Such lovely areas, mama! We are about an hour away, but frequent Portsmouth and York quite regularly. Best of luck with your move!

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#7 of 10 Old 11-28-2009, 12:28 PM

As someone who relocated to Maine several years ago, I can't recommend any specific neighborhoods since I am a little further north than Kittery though I am in York County.

I would strongly encourage you to look at the overall differences between ME and NH. I will be honest and say had I known what I know now I would have picked NH over ME. Things for instance like health insurance, in ME health insurance is extremely expensive. When we first moved here I got it through a job but then I left that job and since my dh is self employed we bought a policy and that is when I learned ME is very different than other places.

I could go on but I don't want to derail your thread but did just want to say def do some research before you decide on your location.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#8 of 10 Old 11-29-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
As someone who relocated to Maine several years ago, I can't recommend any specific neighborhoods since I am a little further north than Kittery though I am in York County.

I would strongly encourage you to look at the overall differences between ME and NH. I will be honest and say had I known what I know now I would have picked NH over ME. Things for instance like health insurance, in ME health insurance is extremely expensive. When we first moved here I got it through a job but then I left that job and since my dh is self employed we bought a policy and that is when I learned ME is very different than other places.

I could go on but I don't want to derail your thread but did just want to say def do some research before you decide on your location.

Shay
We have been debating between ME and NH, too. Thanks for this valuable insight, Shay. Looks like we'll stick to the Granite State side of the Seacoast!
#9 of 10 Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM

I grew up in York and live a little north of there now. It's a pretty rural town but there are some kid friendly subdivisions. A lot are new so you'd have to ask your realtor. Overall, it's a very nice place to raise children - good schools, community, etc. Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to give my opinion.
#10 of 10 Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 PM

does anyone have any recent knowledge of kittery/portsmouth/york/berwick schools to add? i'm moving up with the kiddo in july/august and she'll be starting kindergarten. she's in pre-k now and advanced. 

help!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page