homeschool laws in Vermont - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering at what age I need to register my kids with the school district? Also are there any requirements such as tests,etc?

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#2 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 PM

You don't have to register your child until the age of 6. We just went through the process, it was a bit time consuming but not a big deal.

Check out this site for all the legal info and forms:
http://education.vermont.gov/new/htm...homestudy.html
#3 of 7 Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 PM

We've been home schooling for 4 years~
You don't have to register until age 6, but we have always registered for Kindergarten anyhow- my kids have turned 6 during that year, and it was just easier.
To register you will just need to fill out paperwork (very simple) and a form which a medical professional or educational professional needs to fill out- specifying whether or not your child has special needs.
No tests necessary, unless you choose.
At the end of the year, the VT dept of edu will require one of the following in order to assess each child's progress:
~a teacher evaluation of what your child has accomplished throughout the school year. If you have a family member who is a teacher, they are allowed to fill it out. DH is a teacher and he fills out our children's forms.
~ a portfolio, with a parent report
~ a standardized test

Although it seems to me there is a lot of paperwork necessary, it has always felt to me like VT is a very open and easy place to homeschool.

Homeschooling Mama to DD-8, DS-5, DS-2
and a new little one expected July 2010
#4 of 7 Old 11-30-2009, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone elaborate on the standardized testing? What kind of testing are we talking about?

Also what if there isn't a teacher in the family?

Oh and what happens if I happen to NOT register him? (we will possibly move within 2-3 years out of state again, soo just curious..)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 7 Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM

I am not sure about the testing, as we've never gone that route. Before we knew that DH could fill out the evaluation form, we sent in a parent portfolio and report.

Homeschooling Mama to DD-8, DS-5, DS-2
and a new little one expected July 2010
#6 of 7 Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM

To rehash, so basically a portfolio and parent report is needed, or they also need the teacher's assessment? I am not planning on traditionally teaching our children, more of a we have it available, and I will be showing them things, just see how it goes. I know very very few people in VT and I am kinda socially, well, introverted. But I will do whatever I need to.

#7 of 7 Old 12-08-2010, 03:18 PM

You can choose whichever option suits your family the best: a parent report and portfolio of the student's work, OR a teacher report, OR a standardized test. You don't have to do a teacher assessment or a test if you don't want to.

At the end of the dept of ed's homeschooling packet there is a list of accepted standardized tests. One problem with going the standardized test route is that you would have to document each of the subject areas that Vermont requires you to teach, and some areas are not well covered by standarized tests. You can do a mixture if you want, I think (e.g. send in a standardized test for math but a portfolio for art, and so on). I think really it is just simpler not to mess with the standardized tests. We did a portfolio for our first year, and it really was not so bad.

If you want to go the teacher assessment route, there are at least a couple homeschool-friendly local teachers who will do these assessments for a small fee. Teachers can also sign the Form B (the enrollment form specifying whether your child has special needs).  We got our Form B this way - the teacher basically did a short interview with dd in our house, nothing major, and it cost us just $35 (cheaper than going to the doctor).

For the portfolio of work, you can include not just actual work samples (which a younger child might not produce as much of) but also photos of your dc doing activities, brochures from events you went to, lists of books read, etc (the dept. of ed's home study guide gives a fairly long list of examples). It took a lot of time for me to put together our portfolio (would have taken less if I had kept our stuff more organized) but it was doable.

The home study department is very friendly and helpful, in my experience. I find this to be a nice place to homeschool, all in all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page