Cell Phone Coverage in Maine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're moving to Maine (from Colorado) next summer, but our cell phone contract is due to be renewed next month. We have T-Mobile and love love love our plan, as it is affordable and our bill is exactly the same every month. We are moving to Portland (or the immediate vicinity) and plan to gallivant around quite a bit We have fabulous coverage here, but don't want to get into a contract if the coverage in Maine sucks. And I dont' trust maps LOL.

So, what carrier do you have and what have your experiences been with coverage?

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2010, 10:43 AM

I am in Bangor, about 2 hours north of Portland, so it's probably a little different, but here's my two cents: I don't know a single person who has T-Mobile. I can't even picture where a T-Mobile store might be around here (and we have all the others). Which would make me suspicious that the coverage probably stinks. (Again down in Portland this could be totally different.)

I have Verizon and have never had a problem with coverage. I also know a lot of people really like U.S. Cellular. If you are planning to travel north of Portland (and you should; Maine is a great state to explore!) I would recommend one of these two carriers. You might be able to get T-Mobile right in Portland/south of Portland but I don't know about once you travel further north.

Welcome to Maine!

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

Old 01-01-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! It looks like we'll have to switch to Verizon (and pay at least $50 extra a month ) but I guess that's better than having a 2-year contract on a useless phone once we move LOL!

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 PM

Most folks I know have either At&T, Verizon or US Cellular. I have been with Verzion almost 10 years (moved here almost 8 years ago) and never had any problems.

I used to travel as far north as Lincoln (past Bangor) on a regular basis and never had problems in fact I have been with folks who had other carriers in remote parts of the state and they had spotty coverage. So yeah, I'd go with Verizon.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 AM

Yeah, I really only know of people who use US Cellular Here (midcoast). We have had Verizon for many years, and coming from the midwest we were concerned about coverage. But its been fine. Well there was a time where my cell was spotty but we think a tower was temporarily down because it resolved itself. We live out in the country, and have no home phone. Just cells.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 01-03-2010, 05:24 PM

We just moved from NJ and I kept Verizon but DH switched to AT&T for an iPhone. His coverage sucks actually (drops coming across the tracks on Brighton nearly EVERY night on his way home ~ though I can guess where he is by when our call gets dropped! LOL)

That said, the guy at Radio Shack (they used to sell Verizon but now I think its Cellular One there now?) said that many of the companies share towers. There is a T-Mobile store on Main Street in Westbrook (the town attached to and due west of Portland) and you could call there and ask about the tower sharing. Or call other stores and ask about tower sharing and see what they say too.

I'm from CO way back when, and I really do love living here in Maine - welcome! (almost!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramama View Post
Thank you! It looks like we'll have to switch to Verizon (and pay at least $50 extra a month ) but I guess that's better than having a 2-year contract on a useless phone once we move LOL!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie View Post
We just moved from NJ and I kept Verizon but DH switched to AT&T for an iPhone. His coverage sucks actually (drops coming across the tracks on Brighton nearly EVERY night on his way home ~ though I can guess where he is by when our call gets dropped! LOL)

That said, the guy at Radio Shack (they used to sell Verizon but now I think its Cellular One there now?) said that many of the companies share towers. There is a T-Mobile store on Main Street in Westbrook (the town attached to and due west of Portland) and you could call there and ask about the tower sharing. Or call other stores and ask about tower sharing and see what they say too.

I'm from CO way back when, and I really do love living here in Maine - welcome! (almost!)
Yeah, most folks I know who have AT&T are only with them because of the iPhone. I would love to get an iPhone but not at the expense of bad coverage so that pretty much means I am stuck with Verizon. Which to address the OP is a tad pricier but IMO they are the most reliable carrier up here.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:28 PM

I'm in NH but DH once had a T-Mobile phone for work and the coverage stunk.

treehugger.gif mama to flower.gif and stillheart.gif and baby.gif

femalesling.GIF  bfinfant.gif  familybed1.gif

Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 AM

I live in Portland and have T-Mobile. The coverage is ok in and around Portland. It is terrible outside of Portland and would not recommend their services for Maine.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
We're moving to Maine (from Colorado) next summer, but our cell phone contract is due to be renewed next month. We have T-Mobile and love love love our plan, as it is affordable and our bill is exactly the same every month. We are moving to Portland (or the immediate vicinity) and plan to gallivant around quite a bit We have fabulous coverage here, but don't want to get into a contract if the coverage in Maine sucks. And I dont' trust maps LOL.

So, what carrier do you have and what have your experiences been with coverage?

I love US Cellular. After T-Mobile, At & T, Verizon, and Sprint I have found US Cellular to have the best signal, even in rural areas. No one can get service in my house, yet with USC I get 4-5 bars. Same goes in other areas.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
If you will need service in rural areas of Maine I wouldn't go with Verizon. BTDT. Their service stinks in many areas.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 PM

I was just in portland - i don't have an iphone but my att works great. i have a couple short deadones between my house and bangor, but overall its great and i do a lot of galavanting all over the state. my dad has verizon and he gets a bit better coverage, but for me its not worth the $$.

other option - stick with tmobile on a month to month, then switch when you move up. most companies have 30 day trials.

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 01-13-2010, 02:37 PM

My husband has Verizon and I have US Cellular. Once my contract is up I am going on his plan. Nothing wrong with US Cellular, we just need to be on the same plan, less bills, etc. Both companies have good service. I have a friend who lives in South Portland and he just got off of T-Mobile because of the spotty coverage.

GL to you, I hope your move is safe!

Not TTC, but not-not TTC...if that makes any sense!
for guidance while fostering dogs!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

I live and hang out in very rural Maine, and our US Cellular phones get excellent coverage everywhere we go.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabs View Post
I live and hang out in very rural Maine, and our US Cellular phones get excellent coverage everywhere we go.
agreed. live in southern maine, moving to midcoast, travel inland, west, and up north, and always have coverage.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:43 PM

I am in Penobscot county and have used verizon and US cellular-- good coverage with both and I travel around a good bit.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
Old 02-24-2010, 06:11 PM

I live in between the Auburn area and Portland (in Gray/New Gloucester area) so it's relatively rural, and I have had great coverage with AT&T. In recent years when I lived out of state and had Verizon, coming to visit family in Maine meant no coverage.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09

User Tag List