Anyone have any experience with Maine Cub Care? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-11-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're thinking about moving to the midcoast and since we're self-employed and therefore uninsured I'm curious how well Maine's Cub Care works. Our son has NH Healthy Kids right now and it is pretty great so I'm nervous about moving out of state and leaving that behind.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#2 of 7 Old 06-12-2010, 12:59 PM

We are self employed in the midcoast as well. Our whole family qualifies for mainecare and I have had 0 problems with it. Everything has been covered for me even chiropractic care my whole pregnancy! I had a homebirth transfer for a c/s and didn't pay a dime for it. And both my sons have had no problems getting their well baby visits, and we are selective/delayed vaxxers.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#3 of 7 Old 06-12-2010, 02:36 PM

My dh is self employed and my job doesn't have health coverage. Last year our income dropped so we applied for Mainecare and after an initial rejection were approved. I have mixed feelings as there seem to be few providers accepting new patients, thankfully my dd's provider allowed us to stay with him even though he was not accepting any new folks with any form of Mainecare. I ended using a clinic and its been mixed. Only real plus is that dd needed a ton of dental work and one of the few pediatric dentist took her and it was all covered.

However this year our income increased and we were not approved to stay with Mainecare, so effective April 1 our benefits were discontinued. But there is a 6 month transition off period so I was able to get a much needed hernia repair surgery. But come Sept I will once again be without health coverage.

I would be cautious being self employed because I thought using the online info that we would have qualified but the state is going through some budget issues and it seems they are looking to make cuts. Turns out folks like us who were on the edge of the income limits got cut.

Maine is one of the least friendly states when it comes to health insurance, there is for all practical purposes one carrrier and buying independent policies are really expensive. I am talking a family of 3 almost $400 a month for a plan with a $15,000 deductible.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#4 of 7 Old 06-12-2010, 02:41 PM

As a family we all are on Mainecare, we pay 24 a month right now, I don't know if that will go down more once baby girl is born. (We paid 32 a month last year and DH had higher income than this year)....

So far it's been wonderful, I haven't been so lucky in finding a chiro that's accepting new patients, but the 3.00 copays for dr appts (for adults) and the low medication copays are great! For DS he never has any copays.

Dental for the kids is great, though hard to find someone taking mainecare- but I remember NH healthy kids being the same.

I haven't had a problem finding docs for us taking mainecare at all

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
#5 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

thank you all for the input

We used to live downeast but was fortunate enough to have really great insurance through our employers for a while. When I became self-employed I went without because the premiums were so outlandish. They still aren't that great in NH so my husband and I continue to be uninsured. I didn't realize that Maine care covers the parents of children under 18 as well.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#6 of 7 Old 06-16-2010, 03:48 PM

I'm thinking mainecare rocks! We've had no problem with it at all, my husbands income jumped (up) last year and we still qualified- our whole family. Good Luck!

Me, my Husband and three little Boys! 7, 5 and 7 1/2 months! Life is good!
#7 of 7 Old 06-20-2010, 01:30 PM

I am pretty happy with Mainecare. They can be a little confusing with their odd paperwork sometimes, but after a decade of not having health insurance, I really appreciate having it now. We pay $48/month for our entire family. DH recently changed jobs and got a slight pay bump so we'll see what that does to our coverage. I am hoping we won't get dropped!

Jenny, proud maker of red things

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page