Visiting Montpelier Area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-15-2010, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there- We're going to be visiting the Montpelier area for a couple of weeks, and I'm looking for low cost outings with two Dc-we will be visting the Skating Rink in Burlington, and the Montshire Museum looked really cool, but I'm thinking of places to have a simple picnic, a playground, and how biking friendly the area is-also if there is a place to rent a bicycle. I'm not sure if it is worth it to bring my very old vintage bike on the long drive, but I have a foldable burley that I plan to bring. Oh, and a link to a reputable babysitting service? We have no family there, and there is an event that I think will be very hard to take my Dc to.
#2 of 5 Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 PM

There is great swimming here. You can go to the rec. pool and trails in Montpelier. Or drive a few minutes to wrightsville beach.
http://www.wrightsvillebeachvt.com/
Montpelier has a baseball team - the mountaineers and the games are pretty fun to go to . Games are only a few dollars.
http://www.thevermontmountaineers.com/

The VINS center is just north of town as well. Its a nature center with trails and classes. They also have a center in Queechee and they do a great owl show.
http://www.vinsweb.org/

Depending on the age of your kids Ben and Jerrys has a good tour and so does Lake Champlain Chocolates in Burlington.

For other events and to connect with local mamas try
http://mamasaysvt.org/index.html

enjoy your time here.
#3 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM

There's a nice park in Montpelier, Kellogg-Hubbard Park, with walking (and I think biking, but I'm not sure) trails that go on for quite a ways. There's also the North Branch Nature Center near town, which is great - it's right by the river, there are fields and woods and wetlands.

For something more touristy, there are a lot of things in Waterbury along route 100 - Cold Hollow Cider Mill, Ben and Jerry's factory, and so on. Many are free or low cost and have food samples.

There's also a nice history museum in Montpelier, next to the state house (admission costs though). The State House itself is beautiful and worth a visit, and it has a large lawn that could be a good picnic site.

There's a local newspaper, "The World", that has a good list of local events.
#4 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 AM

If you plan to come to Burlington there is a great bike path! You can rent bikes at local motion. I think you may even be able to rent a trailer too. In Burlington you could also check out Echo aquarium. There is also Shelburne Farms (about 10min outside of Burlington). So much fun w/ kiddos!

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#5 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 PM

I don't know of any babysitting services in Montpelier -- Burlington might have one. If you give us a date and where/how long, we might be able to set you up with someone we know. Also, when I needed to find a babysitter in Charlotte NC, I used Facebook and got a friend's exboyfriend's cousin, who did just fine. That might work for you too.

ETA: for bike rental, google Onion River Sports. They might rent bikes; if not, they will definitely know where to call.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page