Can you recommend a coastal tent-camping spot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for a tent-camping spot for myself and my two daughters. We don't have a specific destination in mind, but we would like to be near the sea, and are thinking of Maine. We will be tent/car camping, and are planning to stay at least a few weeks. We'd prefer not to be in a heavily populated camping area (a little solitude would be very welcome!), but it would also be nice to be relatively close to civilization (groceries, library, coffee shop, etc.). We'd like to have easy access to the beach/swimming. We love Portland, and wouldn't mind being close to there, but it isn't required.

Oh! And the last criterion is that it can't cost too much. We are on a tight budget. (I looked at Acadia, but that is $20+ per night. Too much for us!)

I've been to some general Maine tourism/camping websites, but it would be really nice to have a recommendation, since it is hard for me to tell which campgrounds would be best. I have only been to Maine a couple of times, so I don't have too much to go on.

Help? Thanks, mamas!

ETA: A mountain spot (perhaps in Vermont?) with access to a river or lake would also be fine.

Bold mama to Georgia and Penelope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Check out Wolfe's Neck Farm's campground web site. I have never camped here but we drove around the site and it looks nice. You can get a spot right on the cliffs next to the ocean. I don't know if there is a sandy beach but definately rocky beach. It seems fairly private and quiet. The town of Freeport is near and Portland is another 20 minutes. Wolfe's Neck Farm is open to the public providing many trails, gardens, and farm animals. It is also right down the road from Wolfe's Neck State Park.

You may be looking for something closer to a sandy beach but this was the first place that came to my mind. I believe I have heard there is camping near Ferry Beach in York county.

http://www.wolfesneckfarm.org/
http://www.freeportcamping.com/
Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response! Wolfe's Neck looks great. Emailing them now.

Anyone else?

Bold mama to Georgia and Penelope.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:31 PM

Well this isn't Maine but we camped in Mass last year at Horseneck beach. Our tent site was only a stones throw from the shore and very cheap ($17 a night). We had a great time there.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Sherwood Forest in New Harbor, Maine. Walking access to a white sand beach, pool, and seculsion. I lived on the same road as this campground for my teen years and it is a beautiful place. 15 minute drive to large supermarket and quaint town of Damariscotta, complete with an awesome coffee shop - North Cottage Coffee. You'll love it!! PM me if you have any questions or need more info...

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

User Tag List