Mothering Forum banner

VBAC in Maine Hospitals - Especially Maine General in Waterville

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kJad29 
#1 ·
I'm trying to do some research for a friend about the hospitals in Maine. She's trying for a VBAC, and the only OB under her insurance (Tricare) who will do a VBAC is an OB who delivers at Maine General in Waterville. She's just a few weeks along and is trying to decide on an OB. I'm not sure if she could use a CNM with her plan or not.

She and her husband are not ready to try a homebirth at this point for various reasons - so that is out for now. What does anyone know about Maine General in Waterville? What about any other Waterville and Augusta hospitals? How were your experiences if you've had your babies there. Do you have any positive or negative comments about the OBs or CNMs there?

#2 ·
Hi there. I don't know about other hospitals in Maine, but I gave birth at Mercy Hospital where I found VBACs to be supported. (I've only had one child, so this isn't a personal experience, but the nurses and midwives discussed it). I also went to BackCove Midwives, who do births only at Mercy, and found them to be wonderful and supportive. The nurses at Mercy were fantastic as well.

I know it's not the area you were looking for, but a good place in any case!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Degas View Post

Anyone know anything about Dr. Karen Bossie or Dr. Michael George?
I have a friend whose 10 month old daughter was born via a VBAC attended by Dr. Bossie in Waterville. My friend raves about the care she received - that there were no fear tactics/manipulation around having a VBAC... how supportive her OBs were... how thrilled she was with the whole experience.

As far as I know, the only central ME hospitals who do VBACS are in Portland, CMMC in Lewiston, and Maine Gen in Waterville. The Augusta hospital doesn't do them at all. This list is a few years old, but may be helpful: http://www.mainemidwives.org/vbac.html. This list also indicated whether the birth can be managed by a CNM vs just an OB.

I teach independent childbirth classes and have a website http://www.birthingyourbaby.com that might be helpful - either the links section, or the local resources.

Best wishes to your friend!

#5 ·
Yep on the Augusta hospital Maine General not doing VBACs at all. I used to shadow an LC there and that was the rumor. There was a lady there who did have a VBAC but that was because she didn't know she was in labor and came to the hospital with the baby at 9cm and as they were trying to set up an "emergency" c-section, I heard her pushing the baby out! All the nurses on the ward were so happy that she had a VBAC in spite of the system. So I would go to Waterville. They're much friendlier to VBACs from what I've heard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.