Need Reviews for Maine Med Vs Mercy for birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would love to hear experiences and reviews for delivering at Maine Medical or Mercy-the practice delivers at both hospitals. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 AM

I've given birth at Mercy twice and Maine Med once and I HIGHLY recommend Mercy over Maine Med. If you are high-risk, Maine Med is the place to be. If not, go to Mercy.

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 PM

I birthed at Mercy and ended up with a section. This was 10 yrs ago. The lactation support SUCKED. My second was born at Maine Med b/c of high risk (central previa - she was grown in my ex-partners uterus) and I didn't love the experience, but the lactation support was amazing. A friend of mine had two elective c-sections at Mercy and had a good experience. She just had a CBAC (attempted VBAC ending in c/s) at Maine Med and both her and her husband said that the experience was MUCH better than their Mercy births (she didn't elaborate).

I'm having a homebirth with local midwives and if we have to transfer, we'll have to go to MM and I'm okay with it (and just plain hoping that we won't stumble upon a reason to transfer).

momma to DS9 ribbonjigsaw.gif, DD5 dust.gif, and the newest edition, DS born Jan 2011 hbac.gif
Old 09-04-2010, 04:17 PM

I could spend about 3 to 72 hours writing about my horrible Maine Med experience, 3.25 years later I am still bitter about it, by the time I was on the table getting an unscheduled c-section I was delirious from 7 days of exhaustion from their interventions and other bullshit. I thought I was going to go into a seizure or if I shut my eyes I would die. After my DS was born they treated me like I was just nuts for wanting to see him, they took him for 45 minutes and brought him to me with an IV. They stuck a bottle in his mouth before I ever even saw him, but of course, I was delirious on the table. "Just rest! Just rest!" was always the message, but they stuck me with needles every 6 hours for 10 days straight and put the heart monitor on my for every other hour within those timeframes, there was no "just resting" at the MMC prenatal ward, only lots of forced immodesty in front of countless med students.

The lactation support for me was spotty. Some were WONDERFUL, but one nurse (not a lactation consultant) was very short and abrupt with me and caused a lot of confusion and doubt.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Oh, and in the 10 days I was there they asked me at least 20 times "Do you plan to breastfeed, do you plan to circ." It was always "Yes, no" but wouldn't you know, the doc shows up at my postnatal room all ready to snippy snip. Ugggh! This is just the tip of the iceburg, really. I was high risk, but my extremely mainstream doc (I was naive then) was fine with me going to Mercy, if I could only turn back time....
Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 PM

had my daughter at mercy with a midwife and it was wonderful. I would go there again in a heart beat. I always choose mercy for everythig if we can. Maine med for true emergencies or high risk stuff, but Mercy for everything else..

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:51 PM

I had my daughter at Mercy three years ago. I had an emergency c-section, because she had turned breech after my water broke. My experience was great, the nurses were amazing. I am expecting again and I am looking forward to going to the new Mercy birthplace! I've heard mixed reviews about Maine Med, I would only go there for an emergency situation. I did bring my daughter there at 6 weeks and had a very bad experience.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:59 PM

I cannot say enough good things about Mercy and the new Birthplace. I gave birth there 8 months ago and it was fantastic. I am so happy that I chose to go there. I traveled an hour to see the wonderful midwives at Back Cove Midwives and was very happy with the decision. The hospital is beautiful and comfortable. I was stuck there for 5 days and there is no other hospital I could have been happy with for that long! My water broke prematurely- labor did not start. The midwives gave me time and did not rush me (amazing considering most hospital and OB practices of only 24hrs before forcing baby out). They helped me use natural induction methods and allowed me 48 hours before bringing up medical induction. Once we decided medical induction was necessary they always talked me through and gave me options. All rooms are huge and have jacuzzis and wireless monitoring, so even if you have to be on the monitors (like I did) you can walk the halls, shower, bath, whatever you want. My midwife gave me the greatest gift I could have asked for which was a vaginal birth, more than 72 hours after my water broke. I felt that they monitored me and baby for signs of distress and infection in the most non invasive way possible. I have never heard anyone in my experience be given 3-4 days after leaking amniotic fluid to give birth naturally. they really paid attention to my wants and needs and continued to ask questions and offer choices. These nurses really understood the meaning of informed consent and I never felt forced to make a decision I wasn't comfortable with. they were also very non-intervention by nature, so it wasn't about fighting or refusing care like with some providers. I didn't even write a birth plan because their standard of practice was so in line with my wants. For example: They don't do constant cervical checks and only do so if you ask or if needed. They don't offer pharmaceutical pain management unless you ask. They and the nurses check in around how involved you want them to be and back off when you want- you just have to communicate your wants. My midwives stayed with me and offered individual care and support. The nurses are 1:1 while laboring and I had some really great ones. During challenging points in labor my nurse never left the room unless I needed something. (I needed the extra support). I am glad I didn't end up hiring a doula because the nurses and midwives really functioned in the same way for me.

They gave me back the nurses who had seen me in previous days so they became familiar. The lactation support was also great. All the nurses were trained to support me and they encouraged me to call when baby was hungry to have her latch checked and offer whatever help and info I might need. If they couldn't answer a question they found someone who could. The lactation consultants checked in on each shift and provided a nice packet of info that I referenced once home and second guessing myself. They called the day after we were home to check in and make sure we were ok. (If we weren't they were able to call again, they also invited me to the support group which I did attend many times and really enjoyed it. I still meet up with some of the moms). Nurses who saw me in the first couple days came back to meet my baby when they were back on after a couple days off. The food was really good, everything was clean, staff was respectful and friendly... barring the decision to have a home birth I will absolutely give birth there again.

I chose Mercy of MM for a truer birth center experience while in a hospital (for insurance coverage rather than free standing birth center). Mercy has 3 surgical suites on the floor so in case of emergency you can still be with baby at all times and recover together back in your room. Waterbirths are not an option at Maine Med- you can only labor in the water. At Mercy you can birth wherever you like. I spent most of my labor on the toilet and the midwife sqautted right down to check me when I was pushing and crowning- not a lot of places or providers who will do that in a hospital.

Mama to a beautiful baby girl born 01/21/2010
Old 10-03-2010, 12:10 AM

MEcatlady: you reminded me of a very important comparison. The food at Me Med sucked! The food at Mercy is great!

Melissa Andrew dd1 dd2 dd3 and
Old 10-30-2010, 11:33 AM

I've delivered at York Hospital 12 years ago. (it was horrible then)
Then I delievered at SMMC 7 years ago. (horrible)
So finally I decided to switch OB's so that I could go to a different hospital. I chose Mercy. I've had three children at Mercy in the past 5 years. Every single one was a great experience and I have had ZERO problems with anything there! They were respectful and never slipped a vax or batted an eye when I turned it down. They were happy I chose not to circ and didn't even consider that I wasn't going to breastfeed. (this could be a good or a bad thing I guess.. for me it was a good thing.)

One of those babes was born almost all the way in the car, and they handled that situation as well as they could. (he was born in a wheelchair and I still had on my pants. My husband caught him. LOL)

They always allowed me to go home as soon as I was ready. They made themselves very scarce and it was perfect for us. They were there if we needed them, but they didn't sneak in and take vitals in the middle of the night unless we were awake already. They really worked around us. One thing I can say is that there is a nurse there that I requested every single time, and once told I was there.. she would swap out so she could be my nurse because I requested her. Her name is Candy, and she is super awesome. She listens to you, and she was motherly and kind in that supportive type of way. In my personal opinion, its often the nurses that make or break a hospital... and she is superb! She goes above and beyond to make you feel special and listened to.

I have not had a birth experience at MMC so I can't judge that one, but I would thing its more technical being a higher level NICU... so maybe not as relaxed as Mercy.

I know my review is kind of late, but just in case its not. I'd go with Mercy. But if its a homebirth and you're thinking of a transfer then MMC is the better choice for complications.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Old 11-20-2010, 12:59 PM

I delivered at Mercy in May 2009 and it was a WONDERFUL experience. I birthed with Back Cove midwives, who I absolutely loved. I also found the nurses at Mercy to be helpful in answering my questions, they were not pushy at all and let me guide the experience. They also gave me lots of space when I wanted it during the birth and after. I thought the lactation support was pretty good, I think the nurses did a good job trying to help me, but the LC seemed a little rushed. The birth center they have there is new, so every room has a tub and a shower you can use, and you can birth in the tub if you want (I had a placental abruption and so I was in the tub up until the time I started pushing, then I got out to push). I had worried about having a natural birth in a hospital, but it worked out great and I would highly recommend Mercy. I haven't given birth at MMC but others I've spoken to have noted that they felt a little less support for a natural birth there (i.e. epidurals suggested, etc)  

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09

User Tag List