Question for NH cloth diapering mamas... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you folks use for detergent? I've tried soap nuts, 7th Gen. Delicates formula, and Rockin Green and have not been happy with any of those.... and not to mention, they're pretty expensive options! I'd like to find a cheaper and better performing solution for my prefolds and PUL covers. We live in Milford if anyone especially is close to us and has a good recommendation! TIA!

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-25-2010, 01:34 AM

Have been using the All Free & Clear for all of our two months to date experience with cloth diapering, and have been happy with it so far. As for eco-friendly varieties I've heard good things about the Charlie's but haven't tried it yet. Hoping to hear of any other suggestions that are inexpensive and available locally...
#3 of 10 Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 AM

Country Save is a great one, although I am surprised you didn't like Rockin' Green. Do you know what type of water you have?

I have heard many mom's love Tide free and clear, I just can't muster up buying a bottle of tide...

I spent my life negotiating for a living, and now my 2 and 4 year old are closing the deals.  I now am a firm believer in Karma!

#4 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Country Save is a great one, although I am surprised you didn't like Rockin' Green. Do you know what type of water you have?
The town water department says we have "moderately hard" water.... but both hard (even the new version) and classic rock have both done little to take care of the stinky prefold problem that we're having.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#5 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotapop View Post
Have been using the All Free & Clear for all of our two months to date experience with cloth diapering, and have been happy with it so far. As for eco-friendly varieties I've heard good things about the Charlie's but haven't tried it yet. Hoping to hear of any other suggestions that are inexpensive and available locally...
I'd love to keep using an eco-friendly variety, but at this point I have to switch to the most affordable option available (that works well!) due to budgetary reasons.

#6 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 11:53 PM

i used charlies with my son when we were in the prefold days and thougt it was great. not sure how the price compares, but you do not need to use a lot of it.
#7 of 10 Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 PM

we use either tide free and clear or the green arm&hammer detergent here. both have worked great. i just wait for it to go on sale and then use coupons and stock up so i don't have to pay too much.
#8 of 10 Old 10-01-2010, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
we used Charlie's for a long time, and now I'm using Sal's Suds. Sal's is an expensive option, though. I think that Real Green Goods in Concord is selling Charlie's by the pound, which is less expensive. FWIW, I always, always, put a half cup of white vinegar in my laundry, dipes or not. The natural detergents just don't work (for us) on the diapers or my husband's clothes, all by itself. The vinegar is necessary. I put it in the fabric softener dispenser, as it cannot mix with the detergent. Anyway, if you don't want the brighteners of the supermarket detergents, I'd go with Charlie's + vinegar.
#9 of 10 Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 AM

I've had a lot of problems with my diapers too.. My usual routine is to do a cold pre-rinse w/ a 1/2 cup of vinegar, and then do a hot wash/cold rinse with detergent (2 tbsp. of clean green monkey has worked well for us) and 1/4 cup or so of borax, and then cold rinses afterwards as necessary (until they stop stinking). I have occasionally used RLR (found it at Market Basket) and a lot of my friends have had luck occasionally boiling their diapers.
#10 of 10 Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 PM

I just use liquid tide and always have. Im in Manchester and have city water. No stink issues other than the microfiber inserts needing to be bleached a few times a year. Have been doing this for 2 years.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page