Vermont - Advice for moving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-14-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. After an exhaustive search of all the suitable smallish-size cities in the country, my family and I have decided to move to Burlington. Almost.

Here's the thing... I was talking with someone who lived in Vermont for four years and she kind of scared me. She said the lack of sunlight made her and her husband VERY depressed. So, when I got home, I googled "Sunny Days in Burlington" (or whatever) and saw that it had 58. This is compared to 98 where I'm originally from in Minnesota. (And 115 where she was from in Colorado).

So, my question... how does the lack of sunshine affect YOU?

I was assuming that the winters would be pretty similar to what I experience in Minnesota (and maybe even better). I mean, we all pretty much hibernate in the winter anyway, so it doesn't seem like it would be that big of an adjustment.

But please help, if you can. Other than this, Burlington seems like the ideal community for us.

Oh, and one more thing that the lady mentioned was that the library system was not set up very well. She said that the libraries were all run by volunteers, that they were very small, and that they were NOT connected to a statewide system. (I love my interlibrary loans, people. LOVE my interlibrary loans!)

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM

I moved from AZ to western MA 2 years ago and then to VT a year ago. The lack of sunlight REALLY really affects me. I have been dealing with some major depression in the winters because of it. This winter I will have a baby so I am hoping that distracts me a bit (I am usually pretty happy after my babies are born due to endorphins I just have to be careful of lack of sleep)

but I am planning lots of projects I have been wanting to get done (namely hobbies I enjoy like jewelry making, pottery lessons, joining a knitting group,etc.) for winter as well as some classes I have been wanting to take. it really helps my sanity to get out of the house a bit more, I am also going to start Zumba/Yoga as soon as I can after babe comes and getting a new treadmill, so that will help I hope! Exercise helps me alot if I can drag myself out to do it.. I am thinking about the SAD lights but am unsure if they really work or not. upping your Vit D and eating lots of winter greens can help too and I find flax seed oil and epo help too. I am arming myself with lots of herbs for making uplifting infusions and using other nervines to bliss out with as well this year.

looking for more ideas so I will be following your thread!

I am in south/central VT but trying to talk my partner into moving up to the NE Kingdom in the next couple of years!!! (He will have to move his business so it will be a process) I it up north though!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#3 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 09:36 AM

I have to agree with Rainbowmoon. I just try to keep as busy as possible. As for the interlibrary loans, they do them, but I'm almost positive it's not statewide. I think it's county by county. I know I have had interlibrary loans in the past though the selection of books isn't great. I tend to just buy used or borrow. Burlington has one of the largest libraries in the state though and they have lots of programs for children going on. We used to go there sometimes when we lived up in Colchester.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#4 of 7 Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It really is pretty gloomy here in the winter. I find it doesn't bother me too much, probably because I moved here from the Pacific Northwest, so I was used to winters without much sun. Getting outside and doing stuff helps. Hopefully you like skiing or snowshoeing, or just playing in the snow with your kids.

It's true that libraries here are mostly small and not part of a statewide system, but you can get interlibrary loans. There is a statewide online catalog search system for libraries that have computerized systems, and your local library can use that to find most books you would want. My town library is pretty typical - very small, still has a card catalog, the librarian manually stamps books with the return date when you check them out, and writes your number on the card. Burlington has a nice library, though. Here's the website: http://www.fletcherfree.org/
#5 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 09:56 AM

the weather here is not ideal, but it's manageable. if you can manage to get away in the winter, that really helps. i think the quality of life here supersedes the weather and the beautiful summers make the winters totally worthwhile! i just googled burlington weather and came up with an average of 158 sunny days. i saw one site that said 58 but that doesn't include partly sunny or cloudy days, which make a huge difference!

i live in the burlington area and have had no problem with the libraries. i get interlibrary loans all the time and have never asked for a book that couldn't be found. the fletcher free library in burlington has a decent selection of books and excellent kids programming.

hope this helps!
#6 of 7 Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 PM

funny I never noticed the lack of sunny days. maybe they didn't count the days where part of the day is sunny & part cloudy. I've lived in VT for about 12yrs & 3.5 in Burlington.

Today it was cloudy in the morning, but by noon it was a beautiful sunny fall day. We love it here!

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#7 of 7 Old 10-25-2010, 01:41 PM

I love the weather here and think we get just the right amount of sun (even in the winter, there are sunny days. They're just cold sunny days.) But I did become vitamin D deficient after a few years here (can't say for sure I wasn't deficient before - I've spent most of my life in a similar climate but was never tested until switching to a doctor who was more aware of the issue - she says about 3/4 of her patients have low vitamin D levels). So adding a vitamin D supplement may be a good idea.

For me, the fact that it's not unbearably hot all summer is a major plus. For a short time, I lived in a hotter climate, and it was just terrible. If I went out for fifteen minutes, I'd be tired for hours afterward. A couple times I even got heat stroke (really unpleasant). I'll take Vermont weather over that any day. But maybe some people are better suited to a warmer climate, and others to a colder climate. For me, Vermont is pretty much just right.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page