relocating to South Vermont - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there!
We are a family of 7 -soon to be 8!- and are considering relocating to South Vermont (we've been living in the UK for the past decade). We are vegetarian, unschooling, AP-ing, non-vaxing, hubby is a psychotherapist and i'm a birth doula when family allows... Any tips/ advice as to great places to live in S VT where we could meet like minded families, have a sense of community? Any places to avoid?
many thanks!
Kathryn
#2 of 3 Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 PM

Hi! Well I live in Manchester Vt, and while i love it here for many reasons.....i have yet to find other homeschooling, non-vaxing, cloth diapering families to hang with.  My little uns are 4, and soon to be 2.  The landscape is beautiful, it is healthy, clean, and quiet.... there is an awesome bookstore, and in the seasons that allow, wonderful places to be outside with the children.  My husband and I are both acupuncturists here, and people are very open minded.   Hope you find the place you are looking for!

#3 of 3 Old 12-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Hi! What brings you to Vermont?

If your options are wide open, a lot of people will suggest you visit Brattleboro.

If you're looking for a smaller, more rural setting, Putney would be the next town on the "official" list of places folks like us should explore.

Both towns are especially known for flourishing food co-ops and holistic-minded people.

We live in Springfield, and have plenty of holistic, homebirthing, gardener-type friends. Intact is normal, "extended" breastfeeding is commonplace, vax positions are all over the board, and there is plenty of access to naturopaths, acupuncturists, and fellow homeschoolers. We always vote YES on the school budget, (my friends and I do, I mean ;) and everybody has a charity or community project we give energy to. We have a great playgroup-based community, plus a monthly book club amongst ourselves.

I grew up in Vermont, and feel that these pockets of people can be found all over the state.

Good luck with the move- it must be a big job!

Do post any more specific questions!

(It's a shame this board isn't more active...)

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page