New NH mama here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-11-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

I'm new to the board, not to NH. wink1.gif My husband and I are planning to TTC in January. We already have two young sons. Both of my boys were delivered at Concord Hospital and I had two pretty great experiences there. However, I am hoping to explore my options a little more this time when it comes to where I birth our next bundle.

I was hoping someone here may have a little extra insight for me when it comes to our insurance. We have Tufts, and we see Dr.'s in Manchester now. I'm looking into delivering at a birth center next time and am wondering if that's something that is typically covered by insurance. I'm in the very beginning stages of researching this and really have no knowledge, so any info you can provide me would be so greatly appreciated. If anyone has any info on dealing with insurance when it comes to this, and also any recommendations as to good birth centers in southern NH that they are willing to share, THANK YOU!

-Nicole

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#2 of 21 Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

I should also add that I am considering a homebirth and any info on that would also be appreciated. I read through a couple other threads here and see that, by law, homebirths in NH are to be covered. Does that matter if you have MA insurance?

Nicole treehugger.gif  Busy with my two boys.jog.gifdiaper.gif  The 'big boy' too. peace.gifOh, and a sweet baby girl, born at home in October. love.gif

#3 of 21 Old 11-16-2010, 11:24 AM

I think it does matter. We have MVP and my midwife just found out that it usually doesn't cover homebirth, even though we're in NH. We'll try to submit for reimbursement no matter what but it looks unlikely that it will be covered. Boo!

#4 of 21 Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 PM

i can highly recommend having a doula, but i don't know if any doula's services are covered by insurance. it was amazing for me to haves such  a comforting assistant who'd been through all this so many times before, her calm was contagious! a doula can also help with things after the birth.

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#5 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. Looks like I will have to do my research...

#6 of 21 Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 PM

My aunt runs childbirth education at Catholic Medical Center in Manchester.  I was actually talking to her about it this weekend (I'm an L&D nurse in NY).  The birth center there sounds pretty amazing.  They have LDRP's, which means that you are in the same room from the moment you come in in labor until you take baby home.  Very family-centered, and natural birth friendly.  I haven't seen it personally, but I would say it's definitely worth checking out.  I can get more info, if you're interested, on providers, etc.

#7 of 21 Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. :) I have heard great things about CMC. I just found out that my insurance signed contracts with the birth center I'm most interested in, so I'm hoping to avoid a hospital, if possible. I would definitely consider CMC otherwise though.

#8 of 21 Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM

I would highly recommend checking out Concord Birth and Wellness Center. The midwives there - Cindy Owen and Kate Hartwell - are fantastic, caring, wonderful women and excellent midwives. The center's website is www.concordbirthcenter.com, and their phone number is (603) 228-8710. smile.gif

#9 of 21 Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Oh, meant to add, I've had 2 babies at that birth center and BOTH births were covered by our insurance. :)

#10 of 21 Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Great to hear! I contacted them via their website a few weeks ago inquiring about my insurance and have yet to hear back. Once I'm pregnant I will have to call around. I did just hear that The Birth Cottage in Milford was signing contracts with my insurance company. Woohoo for that! :)

#11 of 21 Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 AM

I second "hiring a doula"  although I am partial :) 

Also highly recommend the Birth Cottage.....top notch group of midwives!

Check out the NH Midwifery Council......and www.nhmidwives.org  You can get great information there!

Good Luck!!

#12 of 21 Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 AM

I second the doula....although, I am partial thumbsup.gif

I also second The Birth Cottage.....the midwives there are top notch!  

Make sure you check out the NH Midwifery Council if you have questions about licensed Midwives in the state.  You can get a ton of information there.  Good Luck to you!!

Oh, and because of the proven benefits.....a lot of insurance companies will reimburse you for doula services.

#13 of 21 Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 AM

If you haven't heard back yet I would also call, 228-8710. I cannot recommend Kate & Cindy enough ... they're fantastic, capable, wonderful midwives! The experience between them is amazing. And I had 2 different insurance companies with my 2 birth there, and both were paid, no problem. joy.gif

#14 of 21 Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM

Autumn and Adrian at the Birth Cottage are fantastic. I sadly didn't get to deliver there - I was risked out at the last minute due to high blood pressure/pre-e - but I have nothing but good things to say about how they handled my prenatal care.

#15 of 21 Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 PM

I also HIGHLY recommend Cindy Owen with the Concord Birth and Wellness Center.  She was my midwife for my homebirth in September and the entire experience was amazing.  Cindy was fantastic with every aspect from prenatal care to the actual birth to postpartum visits.  I can't say enough good things about her!

pcasylum likes this.
#16 of 21 Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 PM

I delivered my DD at The Birth Cottage in Milford and had my son at home with the ladies from Concord Birth and Wellness. I would recommend Concord Birth and Wellness any time, to anyone. The care I recived from those women was absolutely incredible...the mothers group there for women after they deliver is awesome and I have made friends for life, I think, because of deciding to go with CBaW.  CBaW is an absolutely STUNNING birth center and looks like it could have come out of the pages of Architectual Digest...the feel and energy there is awesome.  If you are looking for a HB,  I highly recommend that. If I have any more children, they will, hands down, be born at home. :)

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#17 of 21 Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the reviews!!

#18 of 21 Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Just wanted to add, since I just talked to one of the fab midwives at Concord Birth Center ...

Apparently for over a month now they haven't been getting any voice mails. Their phone provider (Fairpoint, of course, lol) has not been saving any, so that is probably why you didn't get a callback. (And anyone else who might have called)

Please call this number instead if you don't get through on the center's number: (603) 630-0897. You can leave a message at that number if you need to. :)

#19 of 21 Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for that! I didn't leave a voicemail, rather a message through their website. But, no biggie. I will definitely be in touch with them when I get pregnant. I would love to have a provider SO close, and the mother's group sounds so great.

#20 of 21 Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like I'm right outside of the Birth Cottage's travel range. Well, 15 miles out of it. :(

#21 of 21 Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

So, no luck with our insurance, but it seems as though we might be able to swing an out of pocket homebirth. I'm hoping to set up a time to meet with Kate or Cindy at CBWC to discuss financing options. Wish me luck. And, thanks again for all the rec's!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page