Polar Express in Portland Maine? Is it worth it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thinking of doing the Polar Express in Portland Maine on the Maine Narrowgage Railway. Is it worth it? It's $20 per person for coach. First Class is all sold out-what's the difference? Anyone done this before??? My son is 5-has heard the book but not seen the movie. We were thinking of heading up to Portland anyway but weren't sure about adding something like this into our day trip. HELP!

#2 of 4 Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 PM

We just went to this tonight.  My DS is 3.5 and profoundly loves trains and the movie has been running almost constantly, he constantly asks us to rewind back to the train parts.

I believe the difference between First Class and Coach is the seating, Coach is bench seating, First Class has individual seats.

It's charming, no question about that.  My DS really liked it and we were with a crowd who was really into the Christmas spirit so we had a lot lot lot of fun.  In our car, everyone talked over the reading of the book, we couldn't even hear it.  But then we all sang carols and had a good ol' time.  For us, it was worth it because we were all feeling festive and getting back in touch with one another, that sort of thing.  Truthfully, I can see how some folks might be let down, but in the right mindframe it's a nice time.  This similar event in Arizona looks a little glossier, and it's more expensive, but the experience seems to be the same:  http://www.thetrain.com/polar-express-5679.html The light show in Portland was a little lame, but whatever.  They give each child a nice quality bell, we got a "golden ticket" and hotchocolate/cookies for everyone.  Most children wore pj's, good luck deciding!

#3 of 4 Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We actually did end up going and we LOVED it too! Our car was also VERY festive and the adults were into it just as much or more than the kids. Highly recommend! It was worth every cent and more-such fun memories were made!

#4 of 4 Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 AM

we did a few years ago and it was fantastic! My son was about 9 at the time, I think? We have the photos they took of him with Santa on a CD and I ended up giving them to my mom for Xmas that year.

I'm really glad they have this at Narrow Gage.

On a side note a few years ago when they had "Mugglefest" we went on it as the Hogwarts express, also a good time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page