Natural Birth at Central Vermont Medical Center - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, 

I'm just about 30 weeks pregnant and really reconsidering my decision to go with Central Vermont hospital. 

I'm hoping for a natural birth, no interventions, no drugs, calm and wonderful etc. My last birth was a home birth but due to early complications with this pregnancy home is not really an option this time around. I was initially really happy with my experience at CVMC. I had to have surgery during my 8th week and felt they handled it wonderfully. I got to stay on the birthing floor and thought the nurses were wonderful. 

I just toured the hospital and felt great with the nurses but I'm not having the same experience with the doctors and midwife. 

I'm wondering who out there has had a pleasant and natural experience at CVMC. Should I take off now and head to Gifford? If you have any happy stories to share please do so! I feel if I'm going to make a change I need to do it asap. 

Thanks in advance. 

Mama to big brother Ezaias (eh-zay-as) 3/09 and little brother Micaiah 03/11! Co-parenting with my amazing partner, Travis!
#2 of 5 Old 01-08-2011, 10:52 AM

I have never had a child there, but was hospitalized in February and stayed on the women and children's unit. I agree that the nurses are great! Very attentive and they were all really friendly. The LC was also very helpful. I'm sorry I cannot comment on the doctors or the midwife. Good luck in making your decision.

Nicole, sewmachine.gif Mama to hearts.gif C (4/07) and whistling.gif Z (2/09).

#3 of 5 Old 03-11-2011, 05:19 PM

CVMC is my backup if I don't UC at home... I'm pleased so far.  I went in for a prenatal lactation consultant today and the birthing center was 1) empty and quiet and 2) staffed by really nice and helpful people.

Anna, married to my soulmate and expecting #1 in May 2011.... 3 kitties
#4 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM

I know one woman who had a natural birth at CVMC, but I think that's the exception rather than the norm.  I've heard that the nurses are great, but the doctors are not as supportive -- there's one that's supposed to be good, but I can't remember the name.  Gifford has a good reputation and I know lots of women who had great experiences there.  You might also check out Copley -- the homebirth midwives I know tend to transfer there and my sister had a really good experience there (except for the transfer). 

CVMC might be a better bet for a transfer from a UC, since you're probably looking at intervention in that case.

Follow that gut.....

#5 of 5 Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't mind using it for a back up. I transported with my first after he developed an infection at home.  (After 20 plus hours of ruptured membranes and at 10cm dilated...it was a really rare series of events, not trying to alarm you. Mostly my midwife made a bunch of bad decisions, including many internal exams starting two hours after my water was broken to induce. Home birth is totally safe and very, very possible. I just got a bit unlucky!) But I think it's pretty safe to say if you're transporting you probably need some intervention and hospitals are a great place to get that! So I'd be much more comfortable with them if that were the case for me. I actually had emergency surgery there at the beginning of this pregnancy. Dr. Knowlton attended that. He was great and my whole experience there was great. It's not as a conventional hospital that I questioned them but as a place to experience natural, un-medicated, intervention free childbirth. 

I did end up switching to Gifford and I'm so glad that I did. I'm due on Monday so I guess we'll see soon enough how this is all going to play out. I feel good though! 

Maria

Mama to big brother Ezaias (eh-zay-as) 3/09 and little brother Micaiah 03/11! Co-parenting with my amazing partner, Travis!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page