your new neighbor! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-22-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My little family and I have been planning our "big move" out of New York and off to New England for a few years now.  My husband JUST started a new job which finally presents him with this opportunity!  We can live anywhere we want as long as we are reasonably close to a major airport.  Our aim is to rent a home until we are ready to settle down and buy, but we want to live somewhere somewhat rural, but not TOO far from "town". 

A few years back, we scoped out Keene, NH and the surrounding areas fit our needs quite well, but now I have to do a search centering around travel access and Waldorf communities. 

I would really LOVE any info, suggestions and opinions you all may have to help point us in the right direction.  We really love NH but would consider MA if it were the right fit.  Parts of VT might work, as long as they are near the airport access points. 

Ideally, I would love to live somewhere that has:

-Waldorf school OR home school community

-CSA or farmer's markets

-Unitarian church community / Pagan community

Again, any leads would be VERY welcome! 

Thanks and I look forward to knowing this region better!

Peace,

Annette

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Hi there! I live in Nashua, not too far from Keene - there is a VERY very active homeschool community here in NH - unschoolers, relaxed homeschoolers, eclectic, more rigid - you can find it all!!! There are also quite a few food coops and CSA's...I dont have any info on those as we aren't involved at this time - but I see them posted about all the time. If you give me more info about what time of homeschooler you are I can send you some groups to look at. :) 

Karinlady.gif - breastfeeding fbbf.gif, cloth diapering: cd.gif, cosleeping ;familybed2.gif, homeschooling homeschool.gif, babywearing femalesling.GIF!, AP Mama to Martin, Ivy Rose, Patrick and Neva , wife to Kevinjammin.gif

#3 of 4 Old 02-26-2011, 08:22 AM

We used to live in Keene and I know there is an active Waldorf community there. when we left they were working on creating a waldorf HS as well-- not sure what the current status is. http://www.monadnockwaldorfschool.org/

Keene had a great farmer's market and several CSAs. We used to be a part of Tracie's farm (http://www.traciesfarm.com/)-- great CSA.

I'm not Unitarian but we had friends who were very involved in the church/ community there.

Anne-Marie
expecting #3 October 26, 2010
#4 of 4 Old 03-04-2011, 02:08 PM

We moved to South Burlington 4-1/2 years ago from Peterborough, NH and absolutely LOVE it. There is a UU in Burlington, my daughter attends Lake Champlain Waldorf School in Shelburne. There are lots of CSAs and farmers markets. The airport is in South Burlington, small but convenient. Very family friendly, healthy area. Lots of bike paths.  It gets rural very quickly which is nice. Drawback is it is a bit pricey to buy a home, although totally relative especially if you are coming from Long Island. We really love it here and hope to stay a long time.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page