Homeschool Groups/Private Schools Southern Maine+Seacoast NH - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are their any homeschool groups in the Kittery/York/Eliot/South Berwick areas for young children (K and 1st grade)

Additionally, can anyone recommend a private Kindergarten in the Southern Maine area? Any experience with Montessori in South Berwick? Unfortunately Berwick Academy and Brixham Montessori are way out of our price range.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 AM

Have you checked out The Stillwater School in Alfred?  Website is http://www.thestillwaterschool.com/  , not sure if that is close enough to you but it's an amazing slice of heaven for kids.  A friend of mine took it over from the previous owner and has done a fantastic job, wish it was closer to us!!

Sarah

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sarah-it's 50min from me so that's a hike but it does look amazing and I like the half day options and the prices too! I really can't believe there aren't options in my area-I hope someone knows something I don't!

Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM

There's a wonderful, inclusive homeschool group for all ages called the Seacoast Home Learners.

Here's the yahoo page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SeacoastHomeLearners/

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2011, 12:30 PM

I am going to check that out, thank you for posting. :)

Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM

I was wondering if the mom interested in homeschooling groups in Southern Maine/New Hampshire found any support groups yet - we are in South Berwick, and interested in homeschooling, but feel like there is noone out there focused on academically rigorous homeschooling in our area - - - please let me know what you find!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Wow!  Stillwater School does look amazing!  We're in South Portland and wishing we had more options for Montessori schools, too.  When a mother actually stops and considers a 40 minute drive to school, we know we need more options!  I am considering, seriously considering homeschooling next fall for my daughter.  She is currently enrolled in a private, pricey Montessori school but I don't think we can afford to do it next year at twice the price we PREpaid for this year. 

The new charter school law that was recently passed has got the wheels in my head spinning.  If we got a nice group of mothers and teachers promoting and presenting the Montessori method as state funded charter school, imagine how wonderful!  Is anyone as interested in this as I am?  I don't want to let this opportunity pass us by, but I don't know the first thing and I am unqualified to do this stuff.  I do believe there would be so much interest in Maine for a Montessori charter school...

I think I am going to be brave and go to the meeting for charter school discussion being held tonight in Portland.  I would love some support, moms! 

mainemommy & interestedinhome, I would also be sincerely interested in some kind of homeschooling meet up once or twice a week to exchange ideas and get the children together.  We can do it! 

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Hi - I am the director of the Classical Conversations community which meets in Eliot.  This is an amazing program with options from K4-high school.  I would love to talk with you more about our program - and we should be having an information meeting coming up soon.  Our community meets on Wednesdays from 9-1 for 24 weeks starting in September and provides accountability and structure using the classical model.  You can email me at [email protected] for more info!  -Rebekah

Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Oh, and if Eliot is too far of a drive, there is another community beginning in Falmouth, ME this fall!

User Tag List