Recommendations? Moving to southern Maine this summer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! My family is relocating to southern Maine (very close to NH) this summer. In my spare time, I've been a doula for the past 11 years and childbirth educator, so I know the medical community very well where we are. I'm nervous about moving to a new area and finding a new doctor(s) for me and my children. Any recommendations for doctors and dentists in the southern Maine/Portsmouth area? We tend to go with family docs (or internal medicine for me), and I'm looking for a dentist that isn't angling to market the latest cosmetic procedure to his/her patients. Thanks!

#2 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 PM

This is a great area! My dentist is great - I actually switched to this practice after my old dentist was pressuring me to do some radical cosmetic dentistry. This practice came with great recommendations from other dental professionals. It's called Hiltunen, Nash & Maguire and is in North Hampton, NH. Dr. Julie Nash is wonderful. Very down to earth and never pressuring. Good luck!

#3 of 8 Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the recommendation! We're looking forward to moving to the area :-)

#4 of 8 Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 AM

Welcome! I am in Southern Maine, close to NH also. I feel like I have been all over the place trying to find good dr's etc.

I like Amidon Family Dentistry in York, ME for adults and Portsmouth Pediatric Dentistry for the kids over in NH

Coastal Pediatrics in Portsmouth is great and Dr Braden at Kittery Family Practice in Kittery is also great. Portsmouth also has a wonderful Naturopathic DR who sees adults and kids but unfortunately is not covered by insurance.

You should also google and think about joining ($30 per year) Seacoast Mother's Association for southern Maine and seacoast NH-lots of great information on that site and you can post similar questions about dr's etc and get lots of answers from parents in the area.

I do go over to Dover, NH for OB/GYN at Dover Women's Health and prefer Wentworth Douglass Hospital in Dover for childbirth. But everyone has their own opinions of York Hospital, Portsmouth or Dover (all close to the southern me/nh border).

Hope that helps

#5 of 8 Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 AM

I am in NH, near the Portsmouth area, Newmarket to be exact. I own a cloth diaper store here. If you need to make connections please come my way or contact me. I have lived in this area my whole life.

We use Mark Harrison, in Exeter NH as our child's dentist, he is great and we have been going for at least 10 years now.

I use Lamprey Health Care in Newmarket, specifically the provider Amanda Wood-Friend. I like her style a lot and she understands my need to selectively and delay vaccinations.

#6 of 8 Old 05-21-2011, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Mainemommy1 and Petite Bottoms, so much!  This is great information - I'm very grateful for the excellent recommendations!

#7 of 8 Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 PM

You are very welcome, it's a wonderful area! smile.gif my business name is the same as my user name in case you ever want to look me up. wink1.gif
#8 of 8 Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Asterias,

I am possibly in the same position you were in a few years ago.  I was wondering where you ended up and what you found?  We, too are considering a move with our three kids, possibly to York, and wondered about neighborhoods and schools.

Thanks!

PS..feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page