Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Vermont. New Hampshire, Maine (http://www.mothering.com/forum/84-vermont-new-hampshire-maine/)
-   -   New Hampshire midwives for a home water-birth (http://www.mothering.com/forum/84-vermont-new-hampshire-maine/1316937-new-hampshire-midwives-home-water-birth.html)

Demeter_shima 06-09-2011 05:53 PM

I'm searching for a midwife in the Concord area of NH, and I found some recommendations on here, but they were from a few years ago.  
I would GREATLY appreciate any info, suggestions or rave reviews about a midwife out there, as we are moving SOON and I have a baby due in October.  Before I get on the phone and start "cold calling "midwives, it would be nice to have a few trusted names! 

Thanks!

-Annette

Imagining 06-10-2011 07:19 AM

Concord Birth Center.  The midwife I used from there in 2010 is no longer with them (sniff), but Kate Hartwell assisted through the whole prenatal and birth and was great.  I've also heard good things about Cindy Own.  I planned to have a home waterbirth.... but baby came so fast there was no time to set up the tub!  They do travel with a tub though if you want a home waterbirth.

Demeter_shima 06-11-2011 10:39 AM

THANK YOU!  This is very helpful info.  

I aim to have a home-water birth as well.  I didn't birth in the tub last time, but having it there is a MUST no matter what!  I call water nature's epidural :P~ 

-Annette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining View Post

Concord Birth Center.  The midwife I used from there in 2010 is no longer with them (sniff), but Kate Hartwell assisted through the whole prenatal and birth and was great.  I've also heard good things about Cindy Own.  I planned to have a home waterbirth.... but baby came so fast there was no time to set up the tub!  They do travel with a tub though if you want a home waterbirth.

quinbearzmama 06-11-2011 01:03 PM

Autumn and Adrian at The Birth Cottage in Milford are amazing!!!! I had a home waterbirth in Concord and can't say enough about their professionalism, care, and wisdom.  Autumn blogged about our birth and I think you can learn quite a bit about her by reading it...

http://barretthillmidwife.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/the-birth-in-the-kitchen/

Best of luck, mama- wishing you a beautiful and blissful birth:)

nicolian 06-11-2011 02:28 PM

I'm seeing Kate and Cindy at Concord Birth and Wellness Center and have been really pleased with my care so far. I plan on having a home birth - possibly in water.

babynatasha 06-13-2011 05:18 PM

I used the Coastal Family Birth Retreat with my son and was quite happy with them. Chrissy was the one who handled my birth, but both Valerie and Rose were present. It will be 2yrs in August that I had my son at home in a birthing pool. I would happily recommend them. (I have had two home births now, the first one waswith a midwife who moved out of state)

jrkimball 06-27-2011 08:13 AM

I adore Cindy at the Birth Center in Concord.  The assisting/student midwives Melissa & Mim are fantastic as well.  You can always call to schedule a time to just drop by the Center to meet them.  Wonderful, wonderful women.

rose21 08-28-2011 07:28 PM

Kate Hartwell at Concord Birth Center rocks. I highly recommend her and the CBC is a wonderful place. I did a water birth there. Good luck.

Kmama2 12-01-2011 02:12 PM

Another vote for Concord Birth center. I have had 2 births w Kate Hartwell and she is awesome. Cindy is good too!

Barbara Leech 08-03-2012 06:35 AM

Hi, I am a freelance writer for the NH Union Leader doing a story on water births and the benefits for baby and mom.  Would you be willing to share some of your water birth story?  I would need to actually quote you with your full name and town you live, and where you gave birth- home, a birth center or hospital.

If you are willing  would just need a few sentences on how you feel the experience was, if you have given birth before in a non-water birth and how did this compare? Was the pain less or easier to manage?  How do you feel the experience was for your baby? Would you recommend water birth to other women considering it?

If you prefer not to post answers on this message board you may email me at leechnewsagency@yahoo.com  I am a work at home mom and feature writer.  Thanks!!!  Barbara

fyrwmn 08-27-2012 09:19 AM

If you are willing would just need a few sentences on how you feel the experience was, if you have given birth before in a non-water birth and how did this compare? Was the pain less or easier to manage? How do you feel the experience was for your baby? Would you recommend water birth to other women considering it?

I  had my 4th child at home in water last month. The whole experience was amazing! My 3 previous births were "on land" and the water made such a difference this time. The warmth of the water helped allow me to relax and work with my body so much better. My daughter was very calm after the birth. It seemed to be a more peaceful entry into the outside world than the bright lights and colder room (as opposed to the warm water) that her siblings experienced. I would definitelt recommend a water birth to other mamas, especially those looking for a med free birth.

ilovermybabies 10-23-2012 12:29 PM

i also went to the birth cottage and loved them!