VT: bill to ban philosophical exemption for vaccines - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 67 Old 01-08-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Times Argus had an article today describing how a bill has been introduced to ban the philosophical exemption for vaccines.  I tried to find the link online but couldn't -- maybe there's a lag time.

Is there anyone else out there who would be affected by this? 

#2 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 04:44 PM

We would be! Tthat would stink! I can't find the artilce though... have you found it yet?

Mama to dd (6) and ds (8), organic living, no vax, homeopathy, SAHM and writer, nature photography, environmental health blogger, sewing mama, waldorf homeschool, one fish named tomato, four nigerian dwarf goats, barn kitty, and holland lop....and more farm animals to come!!!  chicken3.gif

#3 of 67 Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I still can't find the link to the article but here's a link to the bill:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2012/Bills/Intro/S-199.pdf

#4 of 67 Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 AM

I would definitely be affected by this...it would mean my children couldn't go to school. I can't see something like this happening in Vermont but if it did, I would probably move to another state that allows philisophical exemption.

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#5 of 67 Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not feeling quite as alarmed as I was, but definitely want to stay on top of this.

I talked to our school nurse, who believes 100% in vaccinations but thinks this bill is the wrong way to go about it, and is ready to go testify if she needs to.

I also emailed with the reporter, who's a friend of my sister's, and he is looking for parents to talk to "if the bill goes anywhere."  (Which suggests it might not.)  Would either of you be willing to do that?  PM me with your info, if so, and I can put you in touch with him. 

#6 of 67 Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 AM

this would effect us greatly and my kids would not be allowed to attend school either....hopefully it falls through the cracks...

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#7 of 67 Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 PM

We would be, too :( Though, this isn't so surprising since VT has a lower vaccination rate than most other states.  I don't know if anyone else has noticed a push in vaccine ads and such around these parts lately.  Daycares now need to report their numbers and vaccine records of their kids, whereas they used to just keep them on file, I believe. 

Mama of 4 beautiful little ones

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

--Dr. Suess    

#8 of 67 Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM

We would also be affected by this...I don't think moving would be answer for us... if the law is changed here, how long until it is changed in other states? I am beginning to think that we might have to figure out how to use a religious exemption if needed. Any ideas for those of us whom aren't exactly "religious" (meaning don't go to a church or have any affiliations)... Also interested in participating in any actions showing we are not in support of this proposal..

#9 of 67 Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 PM

You absolutely should not have to attend church to use a religious exemption. A "church" is defined as any place that you can have communion with God, which could be your home with your family. Some other statements I found online - "The Bible says that the church is the bodies of believers physically, and not a building made with bricks and boards." and "Where 2 or more are gathered" and "the bride of Christ, the body of Christ. it's the people, not a building" and also "The 'Church' in the Bible is a Greek word, meaning 'a group of people called by God'".

We use religious exemption and are strongly against it morally as well. I believe that God did not create a perfect body for man to inject it with chemicals to "stay healthy". This places MAN at being "all knowing" what is best for God's perfect creation. Also, since vaccines are derived from aborted fetuses, that this strongly goes against what God intended, and goes against the "thou shall not kill" conmandment. Here is direct scripture that we would use, if necessary.

1 Corinthians 6:19 - "You know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from God, don't you? You do not belong to yourselves".

Hope this helps!!!

Valerie :-)

p.s. I was also told recently that Vermont already tried to ban this before, and was not successful. :-)

Mama to dd (6) and ds (8), organic living, no vax, homeopathy, SAHM and writer, nature photography, environmental health blogger, sewing mama, waldorf homeschool, one fish named tomato, four nigerian dwarf goats, barn kitty, and holland lop....and more farm animals to come!!!  chicken3.gif

#10 of 67 Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 PM

oh, and supposedly there is an active organization fighting this proposal...the same one that beat it before I think.  :-)))

#11 of 67 Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 PM

Thanks Mom_to_ben5. I wasn't sure if I attempted to file under a religious exemption whether I would need a signed document from a pastor or other religious figure... Glad to hear it is easier to do than I thought. Do you know what organization is fighting this proposal? Thanks again!

#12 of 67 Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM

Not sure, but heard it was a chiropractor leading the effort.  No other details than that unfortunately. And I think maybe some states the religious exemption is stricter than others, where you do have to get clergy signature. I didn't need that in GA, but did have to present a notarized copy of an exemption letter - which I still have a copy that I can email to you, if you like...or in case Vermont ever requires that. You can email me directly at enviromom7@comcast.net. Quite possibly some schools or districts might require something different?  Where in VT are you? 

#13 of 67 Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 PM

WCAX ran a story about this today. One man actually said that parents think it's easier to sign a piece of paper than to pick up the phone and make an appointment, insinuating that parents don't vaccinate due to laziness! irked.gif This makes me so.mad! I'm typing this from my phone, so I can't link the story, but grrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not.

--Dr. Suess    

#14 of 67 Old 01-23-2012, 07:39 PM

You think THAT is bad....did you see the two stories written by Ken Picard of Seven Days about vaccination in Vermont?  Wow, talk about bias!!!  I think he is part of the reason there is so much publicity on this recently. Check these out!!!

http://www.kidsvt.com/vermont/shots-for-tots/Content?oid=2129901

http://www.7dvt.com/2011health-care-providers-take-shot-increasing-childhood-immunizations - talk about infuriating!!!  I guess we are the "refuseniks!!"

Also, check this out: http://therefusers.com/refusers-newsroom/vermont-refuseniks-reject-cdc-one-size-fits-all-vaccine-policy/. Is this a Vermont based group...not sure who this is?

I am telling you honestly, there just aren't as many folks as I thought that don't vaccinate their kids here in VT...and it is especially suprising with the philos exemption!  I don't know anyone who is anti-vaccine like us. Anyone here close to Burlington?

#15 of 67 Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 AM

I'm in Northfield- 10 minutes south of Montpelier. I found out there is a hearing at the statehouse this morning. Unfortunately I have a sick kiddo at home today. I'm looking forward to hear how it goes... As for now I am perfectly happy filing as philosophically exempt... if that option is really removed, I'll get more info from you mom_to_ben5-thanks! I read the WCAX story and can't believe someone would really think that people are filing vac. exemptions because they are to lazy to go to the doctor! Those other to articles are awful too! The naturopath that my family sees actually wrote a letter about how biased the article in KIDSVT was and they published it!

#16 of 67 Old 01-24-2012, 08:54 AM

#17 of 67 Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Senator Mullin is set on moving forward with eliminating the philosophical exemption from the state's recommended vaccination schedule. This is a matter that affects all parents, regardless of our choice... the point is that it should remain OUR choice.

Here is an interveiw you may want to see:
http://www.wcax.com/story/16581051/immunization-battle-brewing-at-statehouse

...and to make it easier to contact your Senators about this issue, here is a standard letter that you can simply add names to, and any other details you wish to include. Below please find the Senators' contact information. This needs to be addressed asap, as the proposal is already on the table as of this morning!

Thanks for taking a minute of your time to help protect parental rights in Vermont!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear ,

As concerned Vermont residents, we are writing this letter in opposition of the proposal to remove the philosophical exemption from the Vermont State vaccination regulations.

We would like to see the Vermont law remain intact with regards to the medical, religious, or philosophical exemption options offered to parents. We feel strongly against the idea to remove parental choice. Our family's decision to not vaccinate our children is a personal and educated one.

Please consider the negative effects this law change will have on parental rights and freedoms. Please keep this Vermont law as is.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

---------------------------------------------------------------------
SENATE COMMITTEE ON HEALTH AND WELFARE
(Committee source: http://www.leg.state.vt.us/lms/legdir/comms.asp?Body=S)
(Contact Information source: http://www.leg.state.vt.us/lms/legdir/alpha.asp?Body=S)

Senator Claire Ayer, Chair
Address: 504 Thompson Hill Rd., Weybridge, VT 05753
Telephone:(802) 759-2748
E-Mail: cayer@leg.state.vt.us

Senator Kevin Mullin, Vice Chair
Address: 118 Oxyoke Dr., Rutland, VT 05701
Telephone: (802) 353-6770
E-Mail:kjmbjm@aol.com

Senator Anthony Pollina, Clerk
Address: 93 Story Rd., North Middlesex, VT 05682
Telephone: (802) 229-5809
E-Mail: apollina@leg.state.vt.us

Senator Sally Fox
Address: 80 Bartlett Bay Rd., South Burlington, VT 05403
Telephone: (802) 860-6428
E-Mail: sfox@leg.state.vt.us

Senator Hinda ******
Address: 84 Deforest Heights, Burlington, VT 05401
Telephone: (802) 660-4880
E-Mail: hmiller@leg.state.vt.us

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
#18 of 67 Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 AM

Thank you HairyArmpits!

#19 of 67 Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM

yes, thanks from me too for the info!  I just emailed them all....fingers crossed! :-)))

#20 of 67 Old 01-24-2012, 02:46 PM

Oh, and I wanted to let you guys know that there is a new holistic moms group forming, with a first "moms night out" this Saturday night in South Burlington. We have eight moms already coming, and if you are interested please pm me and I can give you further details!  Valerie :-)

#21 of 67 Old 01-24-2012, 05:22 PM

Thank you, HairyArmpits! Awesome work!

--Dr. Suess    

#22 of 67 Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 AM

...and here it is, Bill H.527:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2012/Bills/Intro/H-527.pdf

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
#23 of 67 Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM

#24 of 67 Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM

Hi all!  At our first holistic mom's group on this coming Saturday evening in South Burlington, we will now have a chiropractor who will speak briefly on the bill to ban the philosophical vaccine exemption in Vermont. She is leading the effort to stop this bill, and wants to speak at our dinner. If you are interested in attending, please email me directly!  Thanks! Valerie  

#25 of 67 Old 01-26-2012, 05:42 AM

Just to be clear, the group that is forming here near Burlington for holistic moms is not a HMN chapter. Not to say that it might not turn into that, if that is the direction we decide to head into, but for now we are just getting parents together and getting a sense of where this will go! I still need to research HMN and see what it has to offer, what is involved. Also, please let me know if you want to attend via direct email or pm as we have a reservation for the dinner and I need specific numbers. Thanks so much!!! Valerie ROTFLMAO.gif

#26 of 67 Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 AM

Please read Dr. Curt Gross' email below. The following bill S199 will be before the senate very soon, if it is passes, childhood vaccinations will become mandatory.

Begin forwarded message:
Hi. I am writing to tell you about a very controversial issue that has recently come to the forefront. Vaccinations. Although there has always been misunderstandings and controversy about them, it is right now coming to a head. Bill S199 has been introduced which will eliminate parental discretion. In other words, every child will get every vaccine. There will no longer be any choice. My perspective is that parents should be able to make an informed choice, just like giving your child a medication or deciding not to. I testified to the senate health and welfare committee yesterday and showed them an excellent PowerPoint presentation. It stimulated a lot of questions and I believe made somewhat of an impression.

I am scheduled to give this PowerPoint presentation at Ilsley library tomorrow (Thursday) evening at 7:00. If this is an area that interests you in any way, you might want to be there. This is not an issue I will be pursuing or presenting much in the future. It is relevant right now and if you want this information before your senators vote on the bill (very soon), the time is tomorrow evening at 7:00. The presentation will focus on the effectiveness and safety of the vaccinations and you will hear some things that will probably shock you. In the end, I am not asking anyone to eliminate any vaccinations, but informing people about behind the scenes information that you have not had available to you before. If you know people with small children who might be interested, feel free to pass this on them.

Hope to see you there,

Curt
[Dr. Curtis Gross of Middlebury Chiropractics

#27 of 67 Old 01-26-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I just sent an email message to the committee and I know of at least two others who have done the same.  Numbers really count in the statehouse.  If both parents can weigh in, even better!

#28 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM

Hello concerned mothers - It is not a surprise to learn that Senator Mullin, who drafted this bill, has been supported with campaign $ over the years from vaccine manufacturers including Glaxo, Astra Zeneca and Merck (pharma is his 3rd leading contributor). No matter where you stand on vaccines, we must not ignore that vaccines are a $20 billion market and the industry has been indemnified from safety concerns. Unless it is "B Corp" the company is in it to make a profit, period. It all ties into today's debate on money in politics, only now it is closer to home. Thankfully, others on the committee seem to be relatively "unspoilt"... for now...

Some have painted parents who choose not to vaccinate as lazy.  This is not the case.  I think you will find that those who choose not to vaccinate are highly educated. Our family's decision to not vaccinate our children was an intensely personal and educated one, based upon thorough consideration of all available facts – forced originally by our son’s terrifying “adverse reaction” to his vaccine at 2.5 months old.

http://www.followthemoney.org/database/uniquecandidate.phtml?uc=4064

http://www.healthcarefinancenews.com/news/global-vaccine-market-now-exceeds-20b
http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110223005592/en/vaccination/immunization/national-vaccine-information-center

#29 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks so much Jstella for posting this....very good facts here. :-) If you are on the VT homeschoolers board, will you post it there too...where the same huge discussion is taking place? There are over 400 members there, and they should see this!  Valerie wink1.gif

#30 of 67 Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 AM

Hi Valerie - I am not on that board but feel free to send me a link or to quote me.  There a bills in both the house and the senate right now, so we should all do our part if we can!  

House bill is H.527 and senate bill is S.199.  http://NVICAdvocacy.org is a good place to get updates and email addresses too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page