Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Vermont. New Hampshire, Maine (http://www.mothering.com/forum/84-vermont-new-hampshire-maine/)
-   -   pediatritian open to alt vaccination in Brattleboro area? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/84-vermont-new-hampshire-maine/1356895-pediatritian-open-alt-vaccination-brattleboro-area.html)

blackbird2 06-29-2012 01:06 PM

Does anyone know of a pediatrician who is open to vaccinating on a delayed or alternative schedule in the Brattleboro (VT) area?

cynthia mosher 07-01-2012 09:51 AM

I don't but I thought I'd bump your post up for attention. 

Anyone have a recommendation?

blackbird2 07-01-2012 11:33 AM

Thanks - I'll elaborate on my dilemma a little bit:  we usually see a ND, but their office doesn't carry vaccines.  The two local normal pediatric offices have rather fierce and rigid vaccination statements on their websites.  A place my ND recommended has a waitlist of 100 people ....  it's frustrating that it's so hard to find what I would consider to be basic care! (Just because I want my childrens' specific needs and risk factors to be considered)  Ok, end rant.  :)  If anyone has any leads, please chime in!

orangemomma 07-06-2012 08:52 AM

Blackbird2 - Have you considered a family medicine practitioner instead of a pediatrician? They can be more open to alternative vaccination schedules - at least I have found this to be so in the Brattleboro area.

Good luck!

blackbird2 07-06-2012 07:49 PM

Yes, I should have been more specific:  I am open to anyone who can provide primary care to children.  A family practice would be fine.  Anyone who can vaccinate, but who can be flexible about it.

orangemomma 07-06-2012 09:20 PM

If you call the Bratt Memorial Hospital - or maybe they have it online- they have a list of who is taking new patients and it's broken down by internist/family med/peds etc..............

I know folks who have seen Martina Szcesny (spelling ??) and have been pleased with her approach - she's family med - however I don't know if she is open/closed to new patients. She believes in vaccinations and her staff gives them but I can't imagine her being "fierce or rigid" about an alternative schedule.

Good Luck

blackbird2 07-08-2012 07:30 PM

Thanks  :)  I'll look into it.

orangemomma 07-25-2012 09:11 PM

Blackbird2,

You have any luck finding anyone?

blackbird2 07-27-2012 08:31 PM

The hospital does have a nice easy online search with the info you mentioned.  Unfortunately, Martina S. is not accepting new pts right now.

So at the moment we are on the 100 person waiting-list for Lauren McClure.  She is accepting new patients, but from this end of the waiting list, it's hard to understand what that means.  I suppose I could go through and call the rest of the family practitioners who are accepting new pts and see if anyone has a shorter waiting list, but I haven't.

happyvtmom 07-29-2012 07:03 PM

I've had no problem with Nancy Haydock and Elizabeth Richards at Brattleboro Primary Care and Pediatrics (next to the hospital).  That said, while I do follow an alternative schedule it's not too far off from the recommended schedule.  I basically stick to one or two vaccines at a time and skipped rotavirus and chicken pox, and delayed MMR a little and totally put off the hep vac's until kindergarten.  Dr. Richards was maybe a little bit pushy early on but ultimately left things up to me (but I did ask her opinions on some things so perhaps it's unfair to call her pushy!)  Overall I'm very happy with both pediatricians and the office itself is run very smoothly.  I found all of the nurses to be very respectful of our choice of an alternate schedule and it didn't really seem to phase them in the least.  It's Brattleboro, I think they realize they need to be open to alternative schedules!  All of that said though, I have no idea if they're accepting new patients.  Good luck!

blackbird2 07-29-2012 07:51 PM

happyvtmom - thanks so much for posting!  It's so helpful to hear that some of the folks inside Brat. Primary Care aren't as intimidating as their website is.  Both the Drs you mentioned are accepting new pts and I'll be giving them a call.  :)

happyvtmom 07-29-2012 08:05 PM

Glad I could help. The more "crunchy" (AP-friendly) of the two, in my opinion, is Dr. Haydock, but they're both fantastic pediatricians.

blackbird2 09-08-2012 08:21 PM

Just had our appts with Dr Haydock.  Nobody made any comment on our vax plan and it was very easy.  We'll stick with our ND for all other routine care, but as far as the vaccination piece goes, Dr Haydock will fit the bill just fine.  Thanks everybody  :)