pediatritian open to alt vaccination in Brattleboro area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know of a pediatrician who is open to vaccinating on a delayed or alternative schedule in the Brattleboro (VT) area?

#2 of 13 Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

I don't but I thought I'd bump your post up for attention. 

Anyone have a recommendation?

#3 of 13 Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll elaborate on my dilemma a little bit:  we usually see a ND, but their office doesn't carry vaccines.  The two local normal pediatric offices have rather fierce and rigid vaccination statements on their websites.  A place my ND recommended has a waitlist of 100 people ....  it's frustrating that it's so hard to find what I would consider to be basic care! (Just because I want my childrens' specific needs and risk factors to be considered)  Ok, end rant.  :)  If anyone has any leads, please chime in!

#4 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Blackbird2 - Have you considered a family medicine practitioner instead of a pediatrician? They can be more open to alternative vaccination schedules - at least I have found this to be so in the Brattleboro area.

Good luck!

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 228/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $455.31
#5 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I should have been more specific:  I am open to anyone who can provide primary care to children.  A family practice would be fine.  Anyone who can vaccinate, but who can be flexible about it.

#6 of 13 Old 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM

If you call the Bratt Memorial Hospital - or maybe they have it online- they have a list of who is taking new patients and it's broken down by internist/family med/peds etc..............

I know folks who have seen Martina Szcesny (spelling ??) and have been pleased with her approach - she's family med - however I don't know if she is open/closed to new patients. She believes in vaccinations and her staff gives them but I can't imagine her being "fierce or rigid" about an alternative schedule.

Good Luck

Breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling momma to two. 228/2014 items in decluttering challenge (643 items gone last year 2013, 625 gone in 2012) Ramsey's BS1 $455.31
#7 of 13 Old 07-08-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks  :)  I'll look into it.

#8 of 13 Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Blackbird2,

You have any luck finding anyone?

#9 of 13 Old 07-27-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

The hospital does have a nice easy online search with the info you mentioned.  Unfortunately, Martina S. is not accepting new pts right now.

So at the moment we are on the 100 person waiting-list for Lauren McClure.  She is accepting new patients, but from this end of the waiting list, it's hard to understand what that means.  I suppose I could go through and call the rest of the family practitioners who are accepting new pts and see if anyone has a shorter waiting list, but I haven't.

#10 of 13 Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM

I've had no problem with Nancy Haydock and Elizabeth Richards at Brattleboro Primary Care and Pediatrics (next to the hospital).  That said, while I do follow an alternative schedule it's not too far off from the recommended schedule.  I basically stick to one or two vaccines at a time and skipped rotavirus and chicken pox, and delayed MMR a little and totally put off the hep vac's until kindergarten.  Dr. Richards was maybe a little bit pushy early on but ultimately left things up to me (but I did ask her opinions on some things so perhaps it's unfair to call her pushy!)  Overall I'm very happy with both pediatricians and the office itself is run very smoothly.  I found all of the nurses to be very respectful of our choice of an alternate schedule and it didn't really seem to phase them in the least.  It's Brattleboro, I think they realize they need to be open to alternative schedules!  All of that said though, I have no idea if they're accepting new patients.  Good luck!

#11 of 13 Old 07-29-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

happyvtmom - thanks so much for posting!  It's so helpful to hear that some of the folks inside Brat. Primary Care aren't as intimidating as their website is.  Both the Drs you mentioned are accepting new pts and I'll be giving them a call.  :)

#12 of 13 Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Glad I could help. The more "crunchy" (AP-friendly) of the two, in my opinion, is Dr. Haydock, but they're both fantastic pediatricians.

#13 of 13 Old 09-08-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Just had our appts with Dr Haydock.  Nobody made any comment on our vax plan and it was very easy.  We'll stick with our ND for all other routine care, but as far as the vaccination piece goes, Dr Haydock will fit the bill just fine.  Thanks everybody  :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page