Mothering Forum banner

cool churches in the Portland, Maine area?

775 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LiminalOne 
#1 ·
Hi!

I live in Portland, and I have a nearly 2-year-old girl. Before I had the baby I attended the State Street Episcopal church (St Luke's Cathedral) and also the Portland Friends' Meeting. Now that my girl is almost old enough, I'm trying to figure out a church with a good scene for the little ones and that is not conservative socially. Does anybody have experience with a great church in the area that you could share, including the children's programming?

The default for me is Friends' Meeting...I went to Quaker meeting growing up, so it seems natural but not too exciting. I find the lack of a liturgy kind of trying sometimes. Also, St Luke's is out because of a certain person involved with the children's program whom I don't want my daughter in regular contact with. So, that's where I'm at. Thinking of maybe the Lutherans. UCC? Not sure, tell me what you know. I would rather steer clear of the more socially right-wing denominations.

thanks!

Daisy

ed. grammar

#3 ·
This post is from ages ago, but we go to the UU church the above poster mentioned, Allen Avenue UU Church, and really like it there. It's a very liberal religious group, focused on folks finding their own spiritual path rather than agreeing to someone else's with lots of cool social action happening.

Our hs'd boys, ages 7 and 11, have good friends that they've made there over the past 5 years, as do I.

Good luck in your search.

Angie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.