CMC or Elliot Hospital or SNHMC? Dartmouth Hitchcock Midwives of Manchester? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-20-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(I posted this over on thebump.com as well for anyone that has an account there)

This is my second pregnancy and for the past 29 weeks I have been seeing a practice affiliated with Elliot hospital and have mainly been seeing the midwives there. Well, I find out last week that the midwife only delivers 2 days a month. Wtf!! They told me when I initially went to the practice that I'd be guaranteed a midwife the day of my delivery. So now I am pissed. I don't care for the OB at my practice. So I went to a diff OB last week just for an interview (I figured if my chances of having an OB are that high that I might as well switch to a practice that has all OBs so I can meet them between now and the delivery). Well, the interview didn't go well. The doc seemed totally c-section happy and laughed at my idea of wanting a water birth. I mentioned placenta encapsulation and she told me "Ew that is gross!" So unprofessional!! (side note- I don't know if I am going to encapsulate my placenta but have heard the benefits of it and was just mentioning it to her. I was appalled by her reaction).

Needless to say, I am not planning on giving birth there anymore. I know it is late in the game for me to switch but at this point I'd prefer to go to a practice where not only can I receive midwife care but also where I will be guaranteed a midwife the day that I deliver.

Soooo that leads me to my questions

Anyone deliver at Catholic Medical Center (CMC)? If so, what was your experience? I know that they have a Special Care Nursery but not a full blown NICU like Elliot... to be honest that does worry me, although I am in good health and have a low risk pregnancy, I just fear that God forbid the baby needs special care that CMC wouldn't be able to provide it and baby would be separated.

Some of the reasons I am considering CMC is because it seems like they are really pro-natural birth and pro-listening to the mom's wants/needs.. I also like the idea of laboring/delivering and then recovering all in the same room so that I am not separated from my baby. If you delivered at CMC, did you find the nursing staff and doctors to be accommodating to your birth plan/expectations? I really want a positive experience. I understand that labor is unpredictable and medical intervention is needed at times but I don't want to go to a hospital where the second I walk in the doctors are just trying to get me in and out as quickly as possible (that is how the Elliot OB made me feel- like if I try to labor naturally that it wont work well for them and they will just hook me up to pitocin and potentially do a csection).

Anyone use Dartmouth Hitchcock Midwives?? I am considering transferring there and talked to a nurse last week. She was so sweet and answered most of my questions, and explained how they always have a midwife on call so that a midwife would definitely be there for my delivery.

I also noticed that Dartmouth Hitchcock has a practice in Nashua affiliated with Southern New Hampshire Medical Center (SNHMC).. anyone deal with solely the midwives there?? Were you guaranteed a midwife at your delivery? I do like the idea that SNHMC has a NICU but I would prefer to go to a hospital that will put me at ease and not fight me on my birth choices. I fear that SNHMC will be like Elliot and have csection-happy OBs. Can anyone provide insight??

And lastly- Anyone deliver at CMC and wish they had gone to Elliot? For any reason aside from the NICU?

I have read the boards on thebump.com and it seems like people rave about CMC and don't have a bad thing to say and that also the dartmouth hitchcock midwives are pretty awesome.. so I think I may just switch to them regardless.. but was looking for insight or input first.

Thanks!!!

cynthia mosher and applejuice like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Hi @thatcoolmom  - love the username! Congrats on your pregnancy! Hopefully someone in the area will post and share a recommendation.

Have you joined your Due Date Club? You can chat with other moms due the same month as you and share your pregnancy and birth experiences. Here's the list of Due Date Clubs. Just click the group you want and then click on Join Group and you're in! 

#3 of 3 Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
How did your birth turn out? I am new to the area and interested in a good hospital and midwife smile.gif. Thanks! Hope all is well

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page