Anyone Seen Chickenpox Around These parts lately?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2008, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious, my ds has some interesting looking spots on him tonight, no other signs of illness, but he is itchy.. they are bugbite/pimply looking.. they are all a bit different.. and one or two have little heads on them but not big pustules.. Im very interested to see how they look in the morning (we have had SOOO many maybe's that Im not going to get excited), but I just thought Id see if it has been going around here that anyone knows of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Still hunting, huh? I'm betting your kid has natural immunity after all that exposure! If you do get it, PM me, kay?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:47 PM

Ooooh, I'm interested too, but where in NH are you? Though is a 6mth old too young to expose to the pox?

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 PM

:

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 08-08-2008, 06:42 PM

A friend's 6 year old daughter had a mild case about 3 weeks ago.
They live in Ludlow...
Old 08-09-2008, 12:20 AM

OMG!
I'm 18 miles from Ludlow. Know if anyone has active sores now?

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 08-09-2008, 06:09 PM

Any other children in the Ludlow area she may have been exposed to?????:
Old 08-09-2008, 07:11 PM

also interested...i'm not too far from ludlow either.

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM

Sorry, I haven't spoken with her. I think her case was rare...she was actually vaccinated against it. Had I known earlier, I would have taken my kids down to play with her. By the time I found out, all of the pox had scabbed over.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post
Know if anyone has active sores now?
only in a pox-seeking forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
Still hunting, huh? I'm betting your kid has natural immunity after all that exposure!
that's what i thought when i saw her name on this post! i remember her trying back when i still gave a sh*t myself. now, after 2 really good exposures, i'm pretty convinced my guy's immune too (we already were pretty sure his dad is so it might stand to reason). still, i keep my ear to the ground in case a friend turns spotty... just in case!

trying to mother my 11yo sweet skaterboy, 4yo stepgirl of the universe, this apocalypse babe-on-the-way, and my 36yo innerkid ...while figuring how to market myself, stay married, and murder my ego
Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

yeh uhm, still no go!!!

my kids have to be immune!! My thing is, the one really good exposure we had was too late I think, and then second one was only a kind of exposure bc of time constraints, so I still havent had a decent exposure, so yes Im still looking....

I started when my kids were 1 and 3.... now they are 4 and 7!!!! LOL

I just cant drive 2 hours away every time someone has pox, so I havent had a lot of chances to expose around here.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 AM

maybe the vax has forced it underground. anyway, you're in MA, right? i'll definitely keep ya posted if i hear of anything and totally haul my poor, crusty kid down there if he ever catches it!

trying to mother my 11yo sweet skaterboy, 4yo stepgirl of the universe, this apocalypse babe-on-the-way, and my 36yo innerkid ...while figuring how to market myself, stay married, and murder my ego
Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian's mama View Post
maybe the vax has forced it underground. anyway, you're in MA, right? i'll definitely keep ya posted if i hear of anything and totally haul my poor, crusty kid down there if he ever catches it!
LOL.. thanks! we would love to hang out with your poor, crusty kid!!

but no, we are in Maine!! and that is the issue, most of the cases have been in Mass and Vermont, not much activity in this area..... the one good exposure to mostly healed kids I drove over an hour to expose them to......

when my ds was in Kindergarten, it went around the 1st or 2nd grade.... I prayed he would get it, but no go.....

Last year... nothing, but the librarians older son had them, I emailed her and asked her if i could bring my kids over.. LOL.... I think she thought I was nuts!!! (LOL I know her personally through volunteering and scrapbooking, but still)... I was so bummed...
Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 AM

totally thought you were in MA. well, all the better. folks still mention it now and then on my local moms board but most of them are secretly way more mainstream than they'd ever admit so a lot of the kids are vaxed anyway. regardless, i'll keep ya posted. there's bound to be something that pops up once they all get crammed back in those tiny, germy little classrooms.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 AM

I am looking in Vermont now too. My son is 17 months, so I figure I should start keeping an ear out for pox starting now. Please, please, please someone have them eventually in the next few years!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 PM

chicken pox just outside portland, maine. PM me if you want to come by!

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 PM

congrats! don't forget to post on the other board, too. i think some mamas there are still lookin.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:31 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of any child in the New England area with Chicken Pox. I have a 20 month old, desperate to expose her as soon as possible before she gets to be too old.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 PM

someone in maine got their kids exposed recently and we're waiting to see how that plays out. i asked casi the other day if he wants to be exposed (again ) and he said yes. if we catch em, i'll definitely make a drive to either boston MA or maybe concord/manchester NH to spread the .

Old 09-12-2008, 12:34 PM

sarah, i just reread your post. 6 mos might be too young. 1: there's a slightly higher risk of complications from the disease itself and 2: sometimes kids under a year who get it don't get a fullblown case (i'd imagine nursing impacts this too) and therefore don't always get "full" immunity. i'd maybe hold off until the spring, when they tend to come back around.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:47 PM

Yep, thanks, I'd heard that too and combined the fact that my babe still has my cold for the last 2 weeks I'm holding off for now. I also heard from a friend's pediatrician that under a year is the best time to get them since they haven't developed the desire/need to itch yet. Six to one...I think I'd rather deal with itching then other complications or not full immunity...so we wait...

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

Old 09-13-2008, 03:21 PM

hi i'm interested too...
Old 09-14-2008, 12:31 PM

hmm... i'm also very skeptical of advice from peds. that sounds like a kinda stupid reason to contact it under a year! i know some people get freaked about the thought of scarring but so many of us had chicken pox and we're not all disfigured from it, right?

i think currently having a cold might be another reason to not expose your kid, because your body's already in "fight" mode so the pox might not "take", but i could be wrong about that.

anyway, i'll definitely let you know if i hear anything.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:12 AM

I'm hoping to find some pox this late winter/spring... any news?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 AM

Hi~ Im 95% sure my two year old has the pox. He's had the vax but it looks like he has it just on his legs. We are in the Concord NH area. PM me.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:33 PM

I'm in Southern NH near the seacoast! Do you still have active CP?? I have a 3 year old I'm trying to expose. Her older sisters both had it (no vaccine) and her middle sister had shingles 2 years ago. She was still nursing and didn't get it from her sister. Would love for her to get it now. Let me know. Thanks!!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Oh please bring it to the seacoast, Concord is a bit of a hike for us. I've got a 1yr old that I'd love(sort of to get exposed.

Sarah

Old 02-20-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liqdsnk2 View Post
Hi~ Im 95% sure my two year old has the pox. He's had the vax but it looks like he has it just on his legs. We are in the Concord NH area. PM me.
Little man is 6 months..should I still wait until he is over a year before exposing him?

I so want to get it out of the way..but don't want to hurt him...

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

Old 02-21-2009, 11:03 PM

I am in southern NH and am looking to expose my two children to the chicken pox. If anyone can help please let me know. I will travel for it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:55 AM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1062219

did ya'll see this??

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()

User Tag List