Looking at a house, need to know if area is safe NLR - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
West 17th Street in North Little Rock. It's right near the tracks, but I've lived near railroad tracks before and the noise doesn't bother me.

The immediate neighborhood looks a little rundown, it's very urban, and there are some nicer neighborhoods in the immediate vicinity.
#2 of 9 Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Jennifer - I think it may be iffy at best. If you like NLR and older homes, have you looked in the Park Hill area? To be honest though, I'm not THAT familiar with NLR...just the basics. Good luck.

The sea monkey has my money.

#3 of 9 Old 01-14-2009, 10:30 AM

Just off Camp Robinson, right? I wouldn't, but I'm a pansy. I lived in one of the nicer surrounding neighborhoods though, one that is off Kierre. We actually still own a house there. That, to me, was fine, but I wanted to be up off of Camp Robinson.

The general rule for NLR is that the lettered streets are ok (that is mostly Park Hill), but stay away from numbered streets.

Wait, the school I taught at was on 22nd, so I bet 17th is more downtown as opposed to by Camp Robinson. Yea, I REALLY wouldn't in that case. They warned us, as teachers, not to stay in the neighborhood past dark. I did have a co-worker that rented a house on 18th and he talked about the vast amounts of prostitutes at night.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#4 of 9 Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Damn. I was hoping the bad things I heard weren't because of the actual crime. I knew there was a reason such a cute house was so cheap. The previous owners completely remodeled the interior. I'm not going to live somewhere I don't feel safe. Someone on another msg board said "you probably won't get shot or mugged, but your house will probably be broken into." What a shame.

It's not that I like NLR as opposed to LR, but it's just a house I can afford AND I've heard the schools are better than LRSD on the whole. I can't afford to rent anywhere that I've seen. I'd love to live out in Maumelle, but the housing prices are ridiculous out there!

Back to the drawing board.
#5 of 9 Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 PM

What is your price range?

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#6 of 9 Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

IF I sell my current house for what I want to sell it for, I will have a decent down payment. In that case, up to $90,000. If not, it goes down dramatically. There's not much to be had for under $100K unless I can find a REO that is in a nicer neighborhood. Even if I get a house for $90K, my mortgage payment will still be cheaper than renting a house, and I won't have to worry about paying pet deposits.

I was really shocked that rent is so expensive. My biggest concern is a good school zone. Public schools are iffy in Little Rock, from what I hear. I'm looking at another house that is in the Jefferson Elem. attendance zone. I've read some reviews of it, and it seems to be ok. It's a little more expensive, but it's huge and SEEMS to be in a nice neighborhood.

My problem is that I don't make enough to live where I want. I'm hoping that my interview goes well Friday and they make a good offer. Even a couple more dollars an hour over what I'm making now will boost my yearly income.

Thanks!
#7 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Well, if you end up still needing a place in May/June, LMK. We own a house in NLR that we are currently renting out and I don't know if the current renters will want to do another year lease or not. (And we're fine with pets. )

#8 of 9 Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 PM

Jennifer:
Re: the schools. I've actually heard the opposite. LR schools have more fine arts and magnet schools than NLR. I've known of folks who have moved their kids (not sure how) into the LR district out of the NLR one. A co-worker of mine has a friend that teaches in the NLR district and she is not an advocate. My ex-husband taught music as an artist-in-residence for a little while in NLR (funded by a non-profit agency until the $$ ran out) because there is no fine arts program in the NLR district...something that is very important to me.
Hope you and liberal chick can work something out!

The sea monkey has my money.

#9 of 9 Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post
Well, if you end up still needing a place in May/June, LMK. We own a house in NLR that we are currently renting out and I don't know if the current renters will want to do another year lease or not. (And we're fine with pets. )
It may be then before I can move. I'll PM you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page