Lafayette, LA homebirths - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi...I live in Lafayette LA and want to find a good midwife to do a homebirth. Not pregnant yet...but hope to be soon with my third child.
The first two were in the hospital...and I hope to never do that again!
I found two really good midwives online...highly credentialed...and said they specialized in homebirths...but the birthing center they both run says that they don't do homebirths right now. Soooo....any advice? I'm sure the birthing center is wonderful, but I'd really rather be at home...and not have to go anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 12:21 PM

Hi Jennifer
My name is Anne Lastrapes and I have a private practice doing home births in the Lafayette & surrounding communities. I have 25 years experience in maternal child care and have been a licensed midwife since 1997. I'd love to hear from you, feel free to call me at your convenience. (337) 278-4354 or email me @ [email protected]. I'm sorry for your miss information.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Anne! Thanks SO MUCH for your reply! I sent you an e-mail earlier this morning...i think the subject was something about regarding Mothering post.

Jennifer
Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM

I am SO happy to find this thread. I was wondering if the midwives birth center in Lafayette did homebirths! DH and I are probably starting TTC in August or a little later. Jennifer-I may contact you later this year, if you don't mind of course, about your experiences with mothering in Lafayette since I just moved here in January.

Thanks, Kara

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
Old 04-02-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Kara...I'd love to hear from you! Please feel free to contact me.

Where did you move from? (you can send a private message if you'd like).
I LOVE Lafayette! I'm from Bay St. Louis, MS, but I went to college here in Lafayette (at the time it was USL, not UL) and I sadly moved away after i graduated...Somehow (mostly due to Hurricane Katrina) I found my way back to this blessed place! My husband and I moved here almost three years ago (although we stayed with friends here after the hurricane for about six months...and my husband would commute from Bay St. Louis on the weekends) until he found a job here and we could move permanently. At the time my firstborn was just 2 1/2 mos old (at time of Katrina). Now we have two kids! And hoping for at least a couple more.

There is LOTS to do here! It's a very family-oriented area. We have a membership to the Acadiana Zoo and we go ALL THE TIME! It's really nice...not too big and tons of shady trees.

OK, I'll try not to ramble...

Jennifer
Old 04-03-2009, 02:26 PM

We moved from NC-we were at the beach. So far, there's been plenty to do in Lafayette, and I've been pretty busy with research, so no complaints for being bored!

We just realized how quickly we need to start planning-August is only 4 months away! We want to try plan for the baby to be born between next summer-winter, so I will only be writing my thesis and will maybe take off a semester before going for PhD so I have about a year of not being too busy...

It's good to know it's a natural family friendly area! Direct entry midwives are illegal in NC and there's a big battle going on now. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Kara...that's the ONE thing we don't have here...the beach! :-(

I grew up my whole life by the beach...starting out in San Diego...then to
Corpus Christi, and on to Bay St. Louis (not the prettiest beach, but still nice Gulf breezes!)...so that is really the only thing missing from my Cajun paradise! Oh well...can't win em all.

I just noticed a few threads about midwifery in NC...I haven't read them yet...but it is fascinating. That would not fly here, IMO.

Also, in case this helps your planning...my second one was conceived on the Fourth of July...and then she was due around the end of March...and was born March 23rd. I thought for this area, that was the PERFECT month to have a baby...and hope I can have another March baby...the weather is so nice, and you're not pregnant when it's really so hot out...and of course, I hate the cold and would hate to have a baby in the winter...but March is so lovely here cause that is when the azaleas start to bloom. I mean really...could we ask for better weather than what we're seeing right now?!?!?!?

Are you at my alma mater? The Ragin Cajuns?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Yep I'm at UL, I live my life in Wharton Hall right now. My life is currently consumed with teaching and studying-very busy but fun experience.

It really is nice weather now, but I am a little scared to see how it will be in August!! I miss the beach sometimes, but honestly, I'm so fair skinned that it is literally impossible for me to hold a tan-I just burn and go back to pasty! So, sunscreen is my friend. Haha

Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Wharton Hall? I just don't remember what building that is...is that in
the quad? Is that the science bldg? If it is, no doubt I would not remember...I was a music major...artsy-fartsy...no science allowed in this brain! :-) I barely passed my science credits!

August will be pretty hot...but honestly, I think it passes quickly...I prefer hot over cold any day.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Old 04-11-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturelady View Post
Hi, my name is Brandy and I will be having a homebirth anytime now I live in Lafayette and I luckily found Sherry Daigle for my midwife.She lives in Baton Rouge and is really amazing. I too thought the birthing center was my only option although I really really love those women it was not what I wanted. I also know of a wonderful Doula named Jenn message me if you would like any contact info.

Good luck!
Awww, thanks Brandy.
You can go to www.calmingcaredoulaservices.com to get my contact info. Also, I think both Sherri and Anne are great choices!

By the way, hooray for more natural moms in the area! Meetup.com also has natural birthing message boards, both for Louisiana and Lafayette.

Good luck!

Jenn Partner to Chad, Mommy to Austin (9) & Cameron (4), and Stepmom to Dakota (11)
Old 04-25-2009, 12:41 AM

Kara- did you recently join Radical Cajun Moms? If so, I started to type a message to you earlier today only to have my computer lock up. Either way- glad to see all of you here. Like Jenn mentioned, we've got two meetup.com groups that are pretty active. You can find Birthing Naturally in Lafayette pretty easily on there. We have regular monthly forums on the last Thursday at 6pm. It'd be great if you could make it!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babes in arms View Post
Kara- did you recently join Radical Cajun Moms?
Yep, that was me. I am trying to pool resources after moving and not knowing anything about the area!

Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 PM

Hi, I know I am supper late lol but does anyone recommend a midwife? I would like a traditional midwife but will see a nurse midwife... I have a 3 year old and a 3 month old and I think we may have #3 on the way... Any info would be great thanks...

User Tag List