Doctors that do VBAC in Little Rock area, AR - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I have read an older post here about the same questions, but I thought maybe things are changed since then. I really want a VBAC and where I live ( Batesville) no one is willing to do it. I thought it will worth driving to Little Rock, but I really want a doctor that will do it, not just saying will try and then he/she will change their mind when labor begins. I read about Cornestone Clinic. What you all know about it. Thank you so much. Just found the forum, even I'm a mothering subscriber, and its great and really encouraging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Hi! I am originally from the Little Rock area and was there for my 1st ds's birth in 2005. (I'm in Mtn Home now; I drive through Batesville everytime I go back to LR!)

Anyway, I had a ton of complications with ds1's birth and saw several docs from the Cornerston Clinic while I was in the hospital. Dr. Chandler was there the night before I delivered and was really nice. I've heard she will do VBACs. I also saw a Dr. Simmons, but I think I heard that he's since retired. Just keep in mind that they kind of bill themselves as a Christian Clinic. I really liked that about them, but you may not so I wanted to throw that out there.

Dr. Hutchinson at Arkansas Women's Center will also, to my memory, do a VBAC. I've never met him, but the doctor that I saw (and actually drive back to LR to still see) is a part of that practice (but she doesn't deliver anymore).

Are you interested in a homebirth at all? I just had a HBAC with a midwife who is probably closer to you than to me. I'd be happy to get you her info if you were interested in going that route.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Liberal Chick...I forgot to mentioned that I'm not yet pregnant, at list I do not know yet. But we are thinking about another baby. I just visited another doctor here in town, and when I asked about VBAC she said she will do a C-section, and she tried to explain me all the benefits of having an other section. I was really disappointed, and determined to find a doctor will do an encourage a VBAC. I do now know a lot about Cornestone Clinic, but they being christians its even greater. Do they have a different way of practice being Christian. I did not gave a lot of thought about home birth, because I have a feeling my husband will not agree, being worry that something will go wrong. But if you do not mind, I will love to have her contact info, maybe by the time we have a baby we will decide having a home birth. Thank you very much again
Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 PM

My husband is from batesville! I know a woman who used that clinic, can't remember the docs name but I know she loved him and had a great vbac. No ridiculous restrictions ect. So maybe interveiw a few of the docs there. Also ibelieve there is an ican chapter near you. I believe it's in the central ar area. So check the main website for the contact info for your local chapter. Those ladies will know exactly what's up. Good luck

Married the love of my life : on 3/18/06, SAHM to Livi 3/11/07 : and Eva 10/10/09 :
Old 05-03-2009, 03:37 PM

don't forget to check ICAN. www.ican-online.org You may have a local chapter than can help you, too.

Stinkerton 12/10/01 9lbs8oz, induced to c/s; Little Man 5/20/03 7lbs11oz, r c/s, fear of another labor; Jillybean 11/18/07 10lbs8oz 37cm head, induced VBA2C; and the Wee Beastie, 9lbs8oz, 35cm head, rpt VBA2C
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebella20 View Post
Thank you Liberal Chick...I forgot to mentioned that I'm not yet pregnant, at list I do not know yet. But we are thinking about another baby. I just visited another doctor here in town, and when I asked about VBAC she said she will do a C-section, and she tried to explain me all the benefits of having an other section. I was really disappointed, and determined to find a doctor will do an encourage a VBAC. I do now know a lot about Cornestone Clinic, but they being christians its even greater. Do they have a different way of practice being Christian. I did not gave a lot of thought about home birth, because I have a feeling my husband will not agree, being worry that something will go wrong. But if you do not mind, I will love to have her contact info, maybe by the time we have a baby we will decide having a home birth. Thank you very much again
I don't know if they practice any differently being a Christian clinic. But I'll tell you this: Dr. Chandler was on call the night before me ds was born. My water had been broken for a long time and we didn't know if ds had developed lungs that would work. I started having some complications and was moved over to L&D, but she refused to deliver me. The next morning when my doc got in, she decided it was time to go ahead with the c-section (ds was breech). Dr. Chandler came in after her call was over and prayed with me; prayed that ds would be ok, prayed that I would be ok, and prayed for my doctor to do a good job. I will never, ever forget that. It was just what I needed to be calm enough to allow them to deliver ds.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Moving to Finding Your Tribe... good luck with your birth!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 05-06-2009, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all your answers...It is a good feeling knowing they are mothers there that understand you, support you, and help you. And it is great a lot of you are from around here. I'm actually not from Batesville, but from an other country. My husband is from here, but I have lived here for almost 3 years.
My first pregnancy was perfect. I did not know much about labor, but my husband and I attended Lamaze classes. And there were really good. It is where I learned about all the interventions that can lead to C-section. But it neve crossed my mind that I have to have one, because everything was great, and I did not have any complication. I think I was pretty good informed about the labor process, just that I kindly underestimated the doctor's power. I thought the doctor and nurses will do whatever we want.The will let us have the birth we dreamed of. Well he actually scheduled an appoitment to see me 2 days before my due date, and only after it occur to me that he scheduled to induced me. My labor started the night before, and by morning when doctor came in I did not progressed much. But I felt great and I thought we have plenty of time. Well the doctor wanted to induce me, and I refused it. That made the doctor really mad, and he went then and broked my water. I was so hurt and cried, at what he did to me. After few hours he came back, and insisted I needed to be induced. I refused again, but family insisted ,and doctor and nurses, so I gave in. I did not wanted to be induced, and I did not thought was necessary, but noone was listen to me. By afternoon, the pain was really strongs, and I was not dilating much. The doctor was keep saying that tonight we gone have the baby. It felt that he was planning before he goes home, he will get the baby out with all means, even it means c-section. So later I accepted the epidural, with the hope I will relax and dilate, and I will not need c-section. I could not believe he actually was thinking at that. The baby and myself were fine. I actually requested to stop the induction at one point, but they didn't. It was like i was not there. It was not about me at all...afterall all you want its your baby, it doesn;t matter how you feel or how you get her.
Well by 10 o'clock at night, the doctor came in and said he will do a c-section. I told him I did not want one, and started crying, but he got mad and frustrated, and insisted and it have been so many hours since the water was broken. But if he knew that he has to take the baby out on a certain time after the water brokes, why he broked it? I was really upset, and hurt, and mad. And i said I still wanted to wait...at list 2 more hours by midnight. But he insisted, that I will not dilate enough by that time. It really felt that he did not want to spend the night at the hospital, and all he cared was about himself. The family insisted I have to listen to the doctor, he knows the best. My husband understood what was going on with me, but he was worried, at what the doctor will do if he will get more mad. So I gave in again, a decision that I regret now, knowing how all this experience affected me and my life. During the c-section I felt horrible, cold, and like again no one was listen to me. I was really anxious, and the doctor did not say a nice word to me...all I could here was him talking with the other doctors about their hobbies. Like I was not there...And the recovery was hard, painfull inside and out. I was depressed for awhile, and I think the anxiety that I have know it is from them.

I'm sorry for having such a long message, but I needed to get it out. I feel mothers here understand my experience, and so many of them went sadly through the same experience.

So I really want a VBAC. I'm very scared, because I did not read much about it yet. But not more scared than a c-section.

Thank you all

PS: Excuse my spelling or grammar mistakes. I did not have time to proofread it. Hope you can ignore them this time
Old 05-06-2009, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I wanted to say that it is great that there are so many of you around here that have the same principles on birth and parenting. I feel that the people I meet sees me like I'm crazy when I breastfeed, or complaning about my c-section, or wanted to have a VBAC.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:35 PM

I just had a successful VBAC 2 months ago at Baptist Hospital with Dr. Ashley Deed from Central Clinic for Women. She was supportive of my wish for a VBAC but at 38 weeks, she told me that the hospital had changed it's guidelines for VBACs now requiring that the doctor be "immediately available" through the entire labor instead of just on call. This had caused the doctors in her practice to decide no longer to accept VBAC patients. She assured me that she would still be taking VBACs as long as she could.

Wife tosuperhero.gif , Mama to The Princess (2/03-3/07) and Little Lady (3/09), Expecting #3 (10/11).  vbac.gif
Old 05-13-2009, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to second the recommendation for the docs at Cornerstone Clinic. Drs. Breniman, Simmons, Singleton are all VBAC friendly and most of all respectful to women and their choices.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:40 PM

Your story breaks my heart. I am so sorry. Your body was more than capable of birthing your first child. I hope that you won't settle for anything less than a VBAC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebella20 View Post
Thank you so much for all your answers...It is a good feeling knowing they are mothers there that understand you, support you, and help you. And it is great a lot of you are from around here. I'm actually not from Batesville, but from an other country. My husband is from here, but I have lived here for almost 3 years.
My first pregnancy was perfect. I did not know much about labor, but my husband and I attended Lamaze classes. And there were really good. It is where I learned about all the interventions that can lead to C-section. But it neve crossed my mind that I have to have one, because everything was great, and I did not have any complication. I think I was pretty good informed about the labor process, just that I kindly underestimated the doctor's power. I thought the doctor and nurses will do whatever we want.The will let us have the birth we dreamed of. Well he actually scheduled an appoitment to see me 2 days before my due date, and only after it occur to me that he scheduled to induced me. My labor started the night before, and by morning when doctor came in I did not progressed much. But I felt great and I thought we have plenty of time. Well the doctor wanted to induce me, and I refused it. That made the doctor really mad, and he went then and broked my water. I was so hurt and cried, at what he did to me. After few hours he came back, and insisted I needed to be induced. I refused again, but family insisted ,and doctor and nurses, so I gave in. I did not wanted to be induced, and I did not thought was necessary, but noone was listen to me. By afternoon, the pain was really strongs, and I was not dilating much. The doctor was keep saying that tonight we gone have the baby. It felt that he was planning before he goes home, he will get the baby out with all means, even it means c-section. So later I accepted the epidural, with the hope I will relax and dilate, and I will not need c-section. I could not believe he actually was thinking at that. The baby and myself were fine. I actually requested to stop the induction at one point, but they didn't. It was like i was not there. It was not about me at all...afterall all you want its your baby, it doesn;t matter how you feel or how you get her.
Well by 10 o'clock at night, the doctor came in and said he will do a c-section. I told him I did not want one, and started crying, but he got mad and frustrated, and insisted and it have been so many hours since the water was broken. But if he knew that he has to take the baby out on a certain time after the water brokes, why he broked it? I was really upset, and hurt, and mad. And i said I still wanted to wait...at list 2 more hours by midnight. But he insisted, that I will not dilate enough by that time. It really felt that he did not want to spend the night at the hospital, and all he cared was about himself. The family insisted I have to listen to the doctor, he knows the best. My husband understood what was going on with me, but he was worried, at what the doctor will do if he will get more mad. So I gave in again, a decision that I regret now, knowing how all this experience affected me and my life. During the c-section I felt horrible, cold, and like again no one was listen to me. I was really anxious, and the doctor did not say a nice word to me...all I could here was him talking with the other doctors about their hobbies. Like I was not there...And the recovery was hard, painfull inside and out. I was depressed for awhile, and I think the anxiety that I have know it is from them.

I'm sorry for having such a long message, but I needed to get it out. I feel mothers here understand my experience, and so many of them went sadly through the same experience.

So I really want a VBAC. I'm very scared, because I did not read much about it yet. But not more scared than a c-section.

Thank you all

PS: Excuse my spelling or grammar mistakes. I did not have time to proofread it. Hope you can ignore them this time

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
Old 06-01-2009, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everybody for the support and answers. I think we are expecting..I will go to the family doctor for a blood test next week so it can be official. Anyway your answers help me decide to go to the Cornestone Clinic. I just do not know which doctor to choose.. In a way I will want to be a lady doctor, feel a lot comfortable with one, but I know my husband will feel better with a man doctor. I also read about them on their website. Did anyone knows about Dr. Breniman? Is he VBAC friendly? I am original from Romania, and I read that he find he's wife there in a mission trip. I thought it will be something to relate to. Also on the other hand, my husband is really worried I want a VBAC. He think he's safer just go with a C-section. I still did not read a lot about the consequences for a repeat C-section or VBAC.. Planning to go on ICAR page and read some, so I can talk with him about. Anyway if anyone has any advice it will be great. If it will be medically necesarry for a C-section, I will be ok with it, even it will hurt. But I want to have a list a chance for a normal birth for me and the baby. Thanks everybody. God Bless you!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:59 PM

PM if you want, I am a student doula at birthworks. ( which means I am free) I know that we have another student that lives in Batesville and she will be moving to LR at the end of the year so that would be awesome for you in terms of timing. Let me know.

Living DAIRY AND GLUTEN FREE for my SPD and Aspergers Little Man.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 AM

I had my son 28 months ago and am now nearly 7 mo with #2. I also wanted very much to try for a vbac. Im seeing a dr that says ok, we will determine that closer to delivery. So my plan, if baby is in no danger, is to demand they let me atleast try and labor and see how i do. my first son was sunny side up, which caused a vaginal birth impossible for me, so if this baby boy is turned right, maybe i'll have a shot at it. my dr is very understanding about my wishes, hes also carefull. I would recommend him. Dr Taylor at little rock Baptist 501-217-0517

Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would be very leery of a doctor who said that to me about a VBAC. There are doctors who will bait and switch. I don't know Dr. Taylor, but he is not one I've ever heard of as being open to VBAC. You might consider putting in a call to Birth Works and ask for information about Dr. Taylor regarding VBAC. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytojandj View Post

I had my son 28 months ago and am now nearly 7 mo with #2. I also wanted very much to try for a vbac. Im seeing a dr that says ok, we will determine that closer to delivery. So my plan, if baby is in no danger, is to demand they let me atleast try and labor and see how i do. my first son was sunny side up, which caused a vaginal birth impossible for me, so if this baby boy is turned right, maybe i'll have a shot at it. my dr is very understanding about my wishes, hes also carefull. I would recommend him. Dr Taylor at little rock Baptist 501-217-0517

Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 PM

I live in Batesville, and go to Dr. Jackson in Newport. I know he does VBAC; he did one for my cousin.

User Tag List