anyone know how to get raw milk in LA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 05-13-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi...I live in Lafayette, LA. I'm just beginning to learn all about raw milk, and I'm VERY ANXIOUS to get my hands on some! (just short of buying my own cow!)

I've read that it's illegal in LA...does anyone have any connections with any dairy farmers or know where I can go to find some raw milk?

Thanks so much!
Jennifer
#2 of 54 Old 05-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Well, I'm in Shreveport and I've found my own source here. I got it by word of mouth. I posted on freecycle (yahoo group, join it in your area if you haven't already) to give away some kefir grains and the lady that responded told me about her raw milk provider. You could try some vets in rural areas that might know of people with goats or cows. There's a co-op here that buys goat milk in TX and brings it over to LA.

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!
#3 of 54 Old 06-12-2009, 01:07 AM

Ack... I'm in Thibodaux. I didn't realize it was illegal in Louisiana, but we have been trying to find raw milk here for about a year or two now.

~Celeste~ Loving mama to 3 of the most beautiful miracles ever created and wife to Mr. Wonderful
#4 of 54 Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaOf3Cuties View Post
Ack... I'm in Thibodaux. I didn't realize it was illegal in Louisiana, but we have been trying to find raw milk here for about a year or two now.
It's technically illegal to sell for human consumption, but you can either buy a share in the cow (pay a one time sum and then be an owner of the cow, so you can drink your own cow's milk and pay a handling fee), or buy it for your "animals" to drink.

Or just do it very quietly and no one will care.

This lady talks about it on her blog (back when she lived in LA). You might ask her, I think it was south Louisiana. http://jacksonmom.blogspot.com/2008/05/cow-share.html

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!
#5 of 54 Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 AM

A little off topic, but I am new to LA, specifically NO, and we are having a hard time finding fresh eggs. We have tried the Farmers Mkt with no success. Any ideas?
#6 of 54 Old 07-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Look on craigslist, I found some there before. Also drive around the less urban areas, if you can. A lot of people will have signs up in their yards for things like that. Or post on craigslist yourself, looking for some.

Good luck.

#7 of 54 Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 AM

Hi Jennifer!

I live in Lafayette too! (at least for the moment ) I definitely had to find raw milk by word of mouth here because it is illegal to sell for human consumption. I drink raw goat's milk so I can't help with cow milk if that's what you're looking for. I have a source for raw goat but I won't post it on here. If you'd like to know more, you can pm me!

Tracy

bf'ing, co-sleeping, ec'ing mama to the red headed wonder boy since 3-28-08.
#8 of 54 Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 AM

Jennifer, have you found a source yet? I know of someone in the Lafayette area. PM me.

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#9 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 09:35 AM
tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolamomma View Post
A little off topic, but I am new to LA, specifically NO, and we are having a hard time finding fresh eggs. We have tried the Farmers Mkt with no success. Any ideas?
have you tried the hollygrove market? i think they have fresh eggs. i know they have chickens on site, as well as a farmer offsite who brings the eggs.
you pay $25 for a box and then go into the market and pick up whatever you want to fill the box.
#10 of 54 Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug View Post
have you tried the hollygrove market? i think they have fresh eggs. i know they have chickens on site, as well as a farmer offsite who brings the eggs.
you pay $25 for a box and then go into the market and pick up whatever you want to fill the box.
Just went to Hollygrove last weekend, they indeed have eggs, $5 a dozen
Any of you Nola mamas want to get together??
#11 of 54 Old 11-18-2009, 01:35 PM

I'm trying to find raw goats milk.....when I lived in WA we had to "agree" it was for a baby animal...my kids have milk allergies, I do too but not as bad (my 19 month old had some of his dads milkshake and screamed for 4 hrs lastnight in horrid pain and really bad gas) anyway, I would like help if anyone can help I just moved here a week and a half ago!!! I'm so lost, all I know is I am in slidell and that NO is like 30 mins lol

I don't know anyone and would LOVE to find a play group or something....I am a SAHM and I also care for my disabled MIL
#12 of 54 Old 11-19-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzberry414 View Post
Just went to Hollygrove last weekend, they indeed have eggs, $5 a dozen
Any of you Nola mamas want to get together??
I picked up a few local papers today there a bunch of farmers markets! Not sure when but I think we might go sat...hubby will most likely come...he has a degree in cullinary arts and get s a kick out of the farmers markets! although he doesnt always admit it...but I'm kinda directing him to follow in my crunchy ways lol!
#13 of 54 Old 11-20-2009, 04:26 PM

k
#14 of 54 Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM

I'm on the hunt for some raw milk as well (cow or goat, though I think I'd prefer goat), but I live in north LA, quite near Arkansas. My MIL lives near El Dorado and she's also looking for some, so a source accessible to either of us would be great, but she says she's having no luck, either.

I had stopped looking as I hoped to have my own goat milk from home soon, but my doe just miscarried her twins, so it'll be probably 6 months, now, before I can get any from her.

treehugger.gif SAHM with a precious toddler and the love of my life, expecting a new little one July 2014!
#15 of 54 Old 01-31-2010, 09:52 AM

Even though I don't live in Louisiana anymore (that's my blog linked up there) I'd like to try something out. There are two things I get hits on my blog for - squatting for childbirth and raw milk in Louisiana. I still have a lot of friends there who are desperate for raw milk. So, I'd like to start gathering information that will NOT be made public about raw milk providers in the state. That way, we could have and off-record way to share information. I would be diligent in keeping this information safe...as several of my personal friends would be the providers.

What do you think?

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#16 of 54 Old 02-14-2010, 12:57 AM

Hi Jennifer,

I found your post regarding raw milk in LA as I was searching for a source near New Orleans. I'm moving there next month from Seattle where raw milk is plentiful and legal. Have you found a source near you?

Thanks for any info you can offer,
Kelle
#17 of 54 Old 03-16-2010, 08:54 PM

i live in Plaquemine, about an hour from Lafayette, hour and a half from New Orleans, and ten minutes from Baton Rouge. If your pet is in need of some raw goats milk I know someone who sells raw goats milk in my area for ANIMAL COMSUMPTION only. PM me for more info.

wife to an amazing man and mom to my 5 amazing children sd (16), sd (13), d (5), son (2), & caboose d born 11/15/09 and two goats but they don't have anything for that
#18 of 54 Old 03-24-2010, 07:09 PM

Just curious if anyone found cow share or resource in North LA? I'm banging my head against a wall around here. Everyone has cows but not dairy & they certainly are not milking. I had a source but he is now 86 and sold his cows without letting me know!!! We have a calf but it will be at least 2 years before we can milk.

Nicole
traditional food eating, AP momma, homesteading, crafty, infertility survivor mom ttc #2,
#19 of 54 Old 04-07-2010, 09:42 PM

I've found one source in the Caddo parish area. Where are you?

#20 of 54 Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 PM

I'm in Caldwell so that's too far for us.

Nicole
traditional food eating, AP momma, homesteading, crafty, infertility survivor mom ttc #2,
#21 of 54 Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 PM

I have a source that is full right now, but I am probably moving in a few months and I will no longer use him. That would leave one opening. I will talk to him and see if he already has someone to take my spot, as it is in high demand. I am in New Orleans, and he is on the Northshore.
#22 of 54 Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM

I live in Broussard and have been using goat milk for a few months but my source is drying up. Would you share with me your source?
Thanks,
Carl
#23 of 54 Old 12-18-2010, 04:24 PM

i am in caddo parish.i would like to find someone that carries raw milk.i usually have to drive 95 miles to get it.

#24 of 54 Old 06-03-2011, 02:02 PM

Hello! I'm SO anxious to find raw milk in Louisiana, and it's looking almost impossible. Pretty please help me out! Where can I buy a cow share or find some raw milk? Please e-mail me at dreamscometrue1984@hotmail.com if you'd like to keep the information private.

#25 of 54 Old 07-08-2011, 03:29 PM

I too am new to Raw Milk and would like to know of anyone in Lafayette that participates in a "Milk Club."   Have you been successful in your search for other people in this area wanting to participate in this type of club?

#26 of 54 Old 09-24-2011, 09:32 AM

Hi,

I live in Shreveport currently.  I am about to be in NO from October through March.  I am in a co-op here where I obtain raw milk and grass-fed meat.  Fresh eggs are also available and there is also a co-op for organic produce and specialty items like cod-liver oil.  Of course, the raw milk is on the down-low so I won't post it here.  Shady Grove Ranch is in Jefferson Tx (about an hour away) --they have a share program and are also at the Shreveport Farmers Market.  So, I can provide anyone with that info if they need it.  NOW, I need to know how I can get raw cows milk in New Orleans!  I see from one post that someone gets it on the Northshore that is about to move--could I have that info?  I need to know how I can get this in New Orleans from anyone that knows.  I also am interested in grass-fed beef, eggs, etc.  Thanks!

#27 of 54 Old 09-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Also, I am assuming at least some of you know about www.realmilk.com?  They have sources for all states (or bordering states lol).  The sources I use are posted on this site.  You could probably get information from the closest farmer about co-ops that buy from them.  Good luck!

#28 of 54 Old 10-02-2011, 06:15 PM

Hi there! I'm a kind of nola mama.. I live in slidell, but would love to get together with a group sometime.  I go to the zoo all the time if anyone's interested in meeting there when the weather is nice...

Married to overworked  DH reading.gif since 2003, happily familybed1.gif mama to DD (01/09) and  babyboy.gif DS (4/12)

#29 of 54 Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 PM

I live in New Orleans and would love to find a raw milk source. Can anyone direct me?

#30 of 54 Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM

I would love to be able to get raw milk. I have asthma and raw milk is good for that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page