Looking for a midwife and/or OB in Tupelo, MS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2009, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 16 weeks along with my second child. I am looking for a midwife and/or natural birth friendly OB in Tupelo, MS.

I would love to have a homebirth with a midwife, but my husband would need some convincing. If for some reason we were to need to go to the hospital were are only 2 miles away. A birthing center would be fine too.

If I am not able to have a homebirth or go to a center, I need to find a good OB. I did use an OB for my last birth, but she left a lot to be desired to say the least.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Hi!
I live in Tupelo, and am expecting my 7th. I have not found a midwife close by, nor a birthing center.

Are you from here??? We lived in North Carolina before we moved here, and it is quite different here.

With my last child, I lived in Aberdeen (which is about 40 miles south of here), and I used an OB in West Point that I really liked. I also have used the infamous Amory docs, and HATED every minute of it....would NOT recommend if you are more towards the home birth mindset.

I had a water birth in a NC with a midwife in a hospital. My dh was not sold on home birth, although I desperately wanted one, since our second child had some respiratory issues at birth.

If you'd like to hear more about the doc in West Point, I would be happy to share info, but I can't recommend anyone in Tupelo yet.

Blessings,

Rebecca
Old 06-01-2009, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwife View Post
Hi!
I live in Tupelo, and am expecting my 7th. I have not found a midwife close by, nor a birthing center.

Are you from here??? We lived in North Carolina before we moved here, and it is quite different here.

With my last child, I lived in Aberdeen (which is about 40 miles south of here), and I used an OB in West Point that I really liked. I also have used the infamous Amory docs, and HATED every minute of it....would NOT recommend if you are more towards the home birth mindset.

I had a water birth in a NC with a midwife in a hospital. My dh was not sold on home birth, although I desperately wanted one, since our second child had some respiratory issues at birth.

If you'd like to hear more about the doc in West Point, I would be happy to share info, but I can't recommend anyone in Tupelo yet.

Blessings,

Rebecca
Thanks for the info. I will send you a PM.

If anyone else has more info it would still be appreciated

Cassi
Old 06-03-2009, 01:05 PM

You are only about 2 hours from Memphis, so a homebirth with one of the midwives in Memphis might be possible. You are also about 2 hours from the Natchez Trace Maternity Center in Waynesboro, TN (free standing birthcenter)

If you need names/numbers let me know. And if you know an AP friendly ped, please tell me!

Christa
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM

Through the LLL that meets here in Tupelo, I know of a Doula... she may know a midwife or an "AP Friendly" OB...

I'll PM you her email addy...

HeatherReneeSoul-Mate to RandyLoving Momma to RW(03) IC(05) & AJ (08)
Old 06-10-2009, 10:21 PM

I don't have any answers, apart from suggesting that you get in touch with the HB midwives out of Memphis (I think this is them: http://memphismidwife.com). But I wanted to say hi! I'm in Oxford, and also moved here from NC last year...we miss it terribly, I miss my MW terribly, etc etc.

Personally, I would never consider birthing in a hospital in MS. Never. I'd rather UC. Or drive to The Farm.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 07-01-2009, 03:39 PM

Hi! Kind of late replying, but summertime means less mdc time.

if you are wanting a natural child birth, don't go looking towards the hospital or ob's here. I have had 1 homebirth and will have another in December with my mw out of Memphis. Someone posted her old link already and just in case the link doesn't still redirect, she is now Full Circle Midwifery. Love them!! Tell Melissa that Mandi S sent you her way. I am about 17 weeks along and seeing her now for prenatal care and she will be here to assist at this birth.

I really encourage you to go with your gut and not birth in the hospital system here. My sister searched out what was supposedly the most natural birth friendly ob around. She was adamant about her birth plan and he agreed to it until she was in labor and not on his schedule. things did not turn out anywhere near what she wanted.

Your birth your way, mama!

Feel free to pm me with any questions though I might not check in daily, I will check back.

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 AM

Bumping for any other suggestions!!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodearthmama View Post
I have had 1 homebirth and will have another in December with my mw out of Memphis.
Does she drive out to where someone lives (say, in Tupelo, for example) or does one have to drive to Memphis to see her?

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 PM

Nettle Tea,

Do you live in Tupelo as well?

I am also looking for a solution other than a large OB clinic....but I don't think I have many options.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettleTea View Post
Does she drive out to where someone lives (say, in Tupelo, for example) or does one have to drive to Memphis to see her?
You drive to them for prenatals. Unfortunately none of the mws do all in home care here. Mine do a home visit at 36-37 weeks and then of course come to you when it's birthing time! But yes, otherwise you drive. 2 pregnancies and births with them now, driving almost 2 hours each way for my checkups and I wouldn't have changed a thing! I love these ladies and like another pp said I would never ever choose to birth in he hospitals here.

Are you in the north ms area nettle tea?

natural living, cloth diapering, babywearing, intactalactivist mama to 2 beautiful boys both born at homehomebirth.jpg ~ ds1 July 8,2007 and ds2 born December 31,2009 and loving my awesome dh!! mdcblog5.gif
Old 03-15-2011, 12:16 PM

I was able to give birth naturally at the Tupelo hospital using Dr. Laura Crecelius.  She was wonderful, and I was able to have a drug-free, tear-free, and stitches-free birth!  Unfortunately, she's no longer doing Ob, so now I'm scrambling to find another doctor open to natural childbirth.  Let me know if you've had good luck with any others in Tupelo.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2011, 11:51 AM

Bumping as well.

I am currently 10 weeks pg with #3 and having had 2 c/s I do NOT want another.  Does anyone have suggestions on a VBAC friendly dr?  Specifically a VBA2C friendly Dr in the Tupelo area?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Anyone near Hattiesburg?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_head View Post

Bumping as well.

I am currently 10 weeks pg with #3 and having had 2 c/s I do NOT want another.  Does anyone have suggestions on a VBAC friendly dr?  Specifically a VBA2C friendly Dr in the Tupelo area?

I have a friend whom VBAC's with Dr. Young in Tupelo last year.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:46 PM

Hi, sorry this post is a bit late!! I have also used Dr. Laura Crecilius in Tupelo for my first 2 births. She was great!! But now that she's not an OB anymore, she reffered me to Dr. Brandy Patterson (also in Tupelo) for the prenatal care and birth of my third baby (due in 10wks!!). I had an epidural and episotomy with my first 2 births, but i plan to go completely natural with this one. So far i really like Dr. Patterson! She is some different than Dr. C, but I'm still very pleased with being reffered to her. She makes me feel comfortable and confident that I will be able to give birth naturally. smile.gif Maybe you should try her out too, if you have anymore children! wink1.gif

User Tag List